Steven Wilson's 4th Solo Album

Union 5-3992

It's a good album. Not blown away with it. Gave it a few listens. It's a good concept album. Nice playing by all. Some tunes sound like rush. Same geddy bass sound. It's good times. Your should be fun. He's got lots of material now.

I know the nice folks at Burning Shed shipped out all ROW orders of H.C.E. I pre-ordered mine from Newbury Comics in Boston but I wonder when they'll ship it. Not that I'm getting impatient/anxious as I've got a good amount of other music to distract me while I wait for it.

I know the nice folks at Burning Shed shipped out all ROW orders of H.C.E. I pre-ordered mine from Newbury Comics in Boston but I wonder when they'll ship it. Not that I'm getting impatient/anxious as I've got a good amount of other music to distract me while I wait for it.

With no release in the US for another week, we may have to wait a lil while

First impression, not paying attention to the concept whatsoever, just the music:

First Regret is lovely

3 Years Older is too hectic and "southern" for me. The rolls which start coming in at 0:39 need to be toned down a bit. The crazy drumming on the long intro track worked for Luminol. It doesn't mean it'll work here too.

Hand Cannot Erase still sucks.

Perfect Life has a 2 minute long commentary intro, a real keeper there.

Routine sounds reminiscent of the past two albums which means it's good.

Home Invasion / Regret #9 are my favorite.

So 4 for 7, but that 4/7 can only go up as I've found in the past with SW.

Edited by Mr. Not

My pre-ordered copy arrived yesterday and I've been listening to it quite a lot (ie. almost continuously). It is definitely an album that rewards repeated listening - there is a lot to take in. Somehow SW has put together music of a number of different styles and genres (sometimes in the same song) which should sound a right mess, but it doesn't, in fact nothing could be further from the truth. There are definitely Rush-like influences to be heard, especially the bass in '3 Years Older'. At the moment, the stand out track for me is 'Happy Returns' which has a distinctly Porcupine Tree feel about it with some sublime SW vocals.
  • Like 2

I haven't received my copy here yet, but have been enjoying the leak. Fantastic album. Interesting notes at the end of this review:

http://www.allaboutjazz.com/steven-wilson-hand-cannot-erase-by-john-kelman__26526.php

probably in the liner notes, but Chad Wackerman plays drums on Happy Returns and David Gregory contributes some guitar on a few tracks - most significantly in Happy Returns.

I haven't received my copy here yet, but have been enjoying the leak. Fantastic album. Interesting notes at the end of this review:

http://www.allaboutj...lman__26526.php

probably in the liner notes, but Chad Wackerman plays drums on Happy Returns and David Gregory contributes some guitar on a few tracks - most significantly in Happy Returns.

Also interesting to note that the solo chorister is a Leo Blair - I can't help wondering if this is the youngest son of the former British Prime Minister Tony Blair. The name and school fit and he would be about the right age.

• Like 1

First impressions...

- Routine is my favorite song off the album

- Ancestral followed by the duo of Home Invasion and Regret #9 would be my other top favorites.

- Definitely SW's most eclectic album sound-wise since Insurgentes

- I personally love Ninet's vocals on the album...Routine especially! The boy soloist chorister on that song I loved the moment I heard it on one of the "In Studio" videos.

- The packaging on the deluxe edition is the absolute best of all the SW related deluxe edition packaging! The inserts were super realistic and neat and a few contained the lyrics to several songs. At times I thought what I perceived to be inserts were actually just part of the page even though I had watched the deluxe edition reveal video already.

It's definitely an album that will require repeated listenings cause there's just a lot for me personally to take in all at once but from the first listen alone, it's definitely worthy of being the next in SW's perfect string of excellent solo albums! :haz:

Chad Wackerman plays drums on Happy Returns and David Gregory contributes some guitar on a few tracks - most significantly in Happy Returns.

Yep, Wackerman indeed drummed on Happy Returns according to the liner notes on my deluxe edition. It also says that David Gregory played a Rickenbacker 12 string (I'm gonna guess he played a 360/12 model) on the title track as well as SW playing bass on 6/8th of the album that had bass guitar in it while Beggs was on Chapman Stick for three of those songs.

Also interesting to note that the solo chorister is a Leo Blair - I can't help wondering if this is the youngest son of the former British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I'm looking up Blair on Wikipedia and from what I've found his youngest son indeed shares the same name as the chorister on Routine. Now either he really is Blair's youngest son or that's just one of the strangest coincidences I've seen as of recent! :LOL:

• Like 2

^ Well, the resemblance is there, so possibly it's the same person? :huh:

I've given it three more listens since I gave my first impressions on it and each time it gets even better and better. For me personally, it's growing to be an album that I'll have an easy time with going back to and listening to. I for one can relate to the concept of the record (and I'm currently going through similar struggles with being in the city like the main character in HCE). I was listening to the BluRay audio for it, and my sister was around for it here and there and she loves Lasse Hoile's photography for the album. She did also agree that the title track sounds like a Disneyworld commercial when I posed the question to her. :LOL:

Album of the year for me? Most likely. I can't wait to see him live at the end of May. I REALLY hope they play Routine live. :haz:

Edited by PolarizeMe

I've given it three more listens since I gave my first impressions on it and each time it gets even better and better. For me personally, it's growing to be an album that I'll have an easy time with going back to and listening to. I for one can relate to the concept of the record (and I'm currently going through similar struggles with being in the city like the main character in HCE). I was listening to the BluRay audio for it, and my sister was around for it here and there and she loves Lasse Hoile's photography for the album. She did also agree that the title track sounds like a Disneyworld commercial when I posed the question to her. :LOL:

Album of the year for me? Most likely. I can't wait to see him live at the end of May. I REALLY hope they play Routine live. :haz:

He says he plans on playing the whole album live

Was not aware that he was planning on doing the whole album live, but that is really good news! I wonder if he'll play H.C.E. straight through or in short bursts throughout the night like he did with The Raven. I recall that he played all of the songs from the last album live when I saw him early on in the tour.

Edited by PolarizeMe

Was not aware that he was planning on doing the whole album live, but that is really good news! I wonder if he'll play H.C.E. straight through or in short bursts throughout the night like he did with The Raven. I recall that he played all of the songs from the last album live when I saw him early on in the tour.

I'm seeing him live at the end of next week, I'll report back.

• Like 1