The Big Wheel - why?

dtpoet

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

I thought you don't pay attention to lyrics?

He pays attention to vocals, but not the words themselves. I do find the vocal delivery of those lines puke-worth as well, and honestly the whole song just isn't very good. The verses have barely any melody to them, and the vocals are reverbed to hell. Just a bad track on a bad album honestly.

I might know some of the words but their meaning is lost on me.

You can't understand what "looking for love" means?

I meant the meaning of the song, not that specific line. I'm sure if I sat down and read into the lyrics more I'd understand it fine, but overall I think they're unimportant.

This is one of one Neil's many (I get there are many of them and *that* could be a legitimate argument about Neil's abilities) songs in which he talks about his struggles with religion.... "Looking for love" is followed by "or an angel to forgive my sins" for a reason. The Big Wheel, in particular, is really more a study in struggling with faith in the context of youth. Like most Rush songs, it's a whole lot deeper than the average. Trying to pick apart a Rush long by one lyric is like trying to understand the forest by focusing on one tree.

Yes, the whole redemption/questioning your beliefs & purpose in life is layered in this song. Even the "looking for love" line has a deeper signifigance than appears. It's not a romantic fluff thing.

Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows are very similar thematically. They are pretty much companion pieces.

And as a bonus, they're both far substandard Rush albums ;)

The bridge is pretty cool, but as far as live songs go, this one is probably near the bottom of their list to dig out for a live performance. I think they like playing obscure songs that are at least relatively popular amongst the fanbase (like Presto or Circumstances) or songs that were once live staples (Marathon, Territories, TIme Stand Still).

We've gotten all of those recently (and Territories was abysmal on the last tour...you could see the audience disengaging almost immediately as they realized they were getting yet another song they didn't know or didn't like).

You can't judge it based on that because a lot of songs will get that kind of reaction if they're not the well known "hits". Has nothing to do with the quality of the song, people just generally prefer the familiar.

People seemed to like the Clockwork Angels material.

The bridge is pretty cool, but as far as live songs go, this one is probably near the bottom of their list to dig out for a live performance. I think they like playing obscure songs that are at least relatively popular amongst the fanbase (like Presto or Circumstances) or songs that were once live staples (Marathon, Territories, TIme Stand Still).

We've gotten all of those recently (and Territories was abysmal on the last tour...you could see the audience disengaging almost immediately as they realized they were getting yet another song they didn't know or didn't like).

You can't judge it based on that because a lot of songs will get that kind of reaction if they're not the well known "hits". Has nothing to do with the quality of the song, people just generally prefer the familiar.

Well second half of the show. 90% of the crowd is completely drunk at that point and they stuck around so they figured they better enjoy what they paid for...

And don't underestimate your use of the word "seemed".

Edited by savagegrace26

Well second half of the show. 90% of the crowd is completely drunk at that point and they stuck around so they figured they better enjoy what they paid for...

And don't underestimate your use of the word "seemed".

When on the S&A tour, people fled and were disinterested and disengaged by the time Spindrift started, and they were asleep or in line for The Way the Wind Blows. On CA, people were engaged throughout most of the new material, even though there was a lot more played consecutively than on S&A.

Interesting, that wasn't my feeling at all. Most people were welcoming a change of pace after the raucousness of the first few songs. I certainly didn't mind hearing Territories again. Better than standing through Speed of Love

Getting kicked in the nuts is better than seeing Speed of Love, but the problem was that very few of the casuals knew or liked any of the early songs not named Subdivisions. Territories was the 5th song in a row that casuals didn't know or like, and the 3rd in a row that virtually no one likes. I actually love The Body Electric, and I like Grand Designs, but I can't pretend I'm in the majority of audience members with either opinion.

I was straight up giddy with Territories. I thought the included video was perfect. It was a socio political statement.... just as the song is. Those who run to the restroom or the beer line during that song don't get the song... which, frankly, is fine by me. Something tells me "Joe Six Pack" is more a Kiss guy than a Rush guy anyway.

The problem isn't the message...it's just a boring song with bad melodies, weak lyrics, and boring instrumentation.

I was straight up giddy with Territories. I thought the included video was perfect. It was a socio political statement.... just as the song is. Those who run to the restroom or the beer line during that song don't get the song... which, frankly, is fine by me. Something tells me "Joe Six Pack" is more a Kiss guy than a Rush guy anyway.

The problem isn't the message...it's just a boring song with bad melodies, weak lyrics, and boring instrumentation.

"and the 3rd in a row that virtually no one likes"

Virtually no one likes? What? That's hardly true. Don't state something as factual that isn't and don't speak for others. I already did a poll about this song and the vast majority "liked" it.

And it's an extremely interesting song, with good melodies, excellent lyrics, and fantastic instrumentation. I love the rhythm and drumming on this one. The lyrics are some of the best on Power Windows (which is one of Neil's most accomplshed set of lyrics). Second best song on Power Windows after Marathon.

Virtually no one likes? What? That's hardly true. Don't state something as factual that isn't and don't speak for others. I already did a poll about this song and the vast majority "liked" it.

And it's an extremely interesting song, with good melodies, excellent lyrics, and fantastic instrumentation. I love the rhythm and drumming on this one. The lyrics are some of the best on Power Windows (which is one of Neil's most accomplshed set of lyrics). Second best song on Power Windows after Marathon.

A majority of the extremely hardcore fans in a forum devoted to the band who actually bothered to answer your poll like the song, meaning that your poll means absolutely nothing regarding a concert of with 12,000 people in attendance. In the 6 times I saw the band on this tour, each time the audience was completely checked out by the time this song played. It was night and day in comparison to the reaction of the new material. Some of this is undoubtedly due to the style of the songs, but some is also due to the quality.

• Like 1

A majority of the extremely hardcore fans in a forum devoted to the band who actually bothered to answer your poll like the song, meaning that your poll means absolutely nothing regarding a concert of with 12,000 people in attendance. In the 6 times I saw the band on this tour, each time the audience was completely checked out by the time this song played. It was night and day in comparison to the reaction of the new material. Some of this is undoubtedly due to the style of the songs, but some is also due to the quality.

The crowd had heard four of those similar feeling 80's songs in a row at that point. I think that it has more to with that and also that Territories has a slower tempo. It has more to do with setlist choice the song itself (assuming your observations are even accurate and you're not projecting your own feelings). You can blame the setlist order just as much as the song so nothing is conclusive. Maybe the crowd were just ready for a "hit" at that point. or just something that "rocks" more, which they got with the next song.

And also there was something missing from the CA tour version of Territories. The performance was not nearly as good as the studio version. There was a cohesiveness and punch missing. Something was off. The version on A Show of Hands is much better.

Like others I love the middle eight of The Big Wheel. Territories on CA tour was ruined because that keyboard string sound goes all the way through the song which wears after a while. They didn't do that on the Show of Hands version which gave the song more space if you know what I mean.

The crowd had heard four of those similar feeling 80's songs in a row at that point. I think that it has more to with that and also that Territories has a slower tempo. It has more to do with setlist choice the song itself (assuming your observations are even accurate and you're not projecting your own feelings). You can blame the setlist order just as much as the song so nothing is conclusive. Maybe the crowd were just ready for a "hit" at that point. or just something that "rocks" more, which they got with the next song.

Undoubtedly the setlist was not friendly for a casual fan, or a fan of hard rock (which most of the casual fans seem to be). But that is just a mitigating factor in how checked out the audience was. You put that song in between Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill and Working Man and the audience will still disengage. It's not a very good song, and it's a very bad live song.

I'm with the OP. I love the song and would love to see it live. I'm also surprised it was never played live. I don't really give a rip about the lyrics. I would welcome:

The Big Wheel

Chain Lightning

Cut to the Chase

The Color of Right

and/or

Vapor Trails

...on the next tour. I don't think they've ever done any of these. Of course, I'm a "glass half full" guy, so I usually don't complain about anything when it comes to Rush live.

Let's be honest, did ANY of us that followed them in 1981 think they would still be touring 30+ years later?????

Clem

• Like 2

You put that song in between Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill and Working Man and the audience will still disengage.

You can insert Middletown Dreams, The Body Electric, Bravado, Red Sector A, etc and say the same thing. Especially with three consecutive classics like that.

I think you're really just projecting how you personally react to the song onto others.

You put that song in between Tom Sawyer, The Spirit of Radio, Freewill and Working Man and the audience will still disengage.

You can insert Middletown Dreams, The Body Electric, Bravado, Red Sector A, etc and say the same thing. Especially with three consecutive classics like that.

I think you're really just projecting how you personally react to the song onto others.

I thought I answered this, but I don't see it. I don't like Middletown Dreams at all, and you could see that the crowd reaction was much better to this song (mostly among those close to the stage and a few hardcore sprinkled throughout). People were obviously more mellow than on an upbeat song, but people were somewhat engaged with it. The Body Electric didn't get a huge reaction, but people moved to the song, imitating the drums and bass. Bravado at least got an "oh, I remember that song" kinda acknowledgment. Territories got none of that. It's not about how I feel about the song (I'd rather get a song I never heard before than ones that I have heard before AND don't like very much), but about my observations over several concerts. Maybe people in the northeast like it less than other people, maybe I got it on a bad nights/crowds. But people loved or liked or were engaged with the new songs, and still had better reactions to the other older, slower, synth stuff than to Territories.

I don't like Middletown Dreams at all, and you could see that the crowd reaction was much better to this song (mostly among those close to the stage and a few hardcore sprinkled throughout). People were obviously more mellow than on an upbeat song, but people were somewhat engaged with it. The Body Electric didn't get a huge reaction, but people moved to the song, imitating the drums and bass. Bravado at least got an "oh, I remember that song" kinda acknowledgment. Territories got none of that.

Territories was played after Middletown Dreams/The Body Electric. Could just be a simple case of enough is enough at that point - "give me something that rocks or a song I know". And of course you'e mostly referring to the people in close proximity to you. I hope you're not trying to analyze reactions from a crowd of thousands.

And Territories hasn't been played in concert in over 25 years. Why would it get an "oh i remember that song" like Bravado, a song thats pretty much overplayed. How many casual Rush fans do you think listen to Power Windows often if at all?

I don't recall Mystic Rhythms getting a great response on the R30 tour either....does that qualify it as a shit song too?

It gets a pretty good response from the crowd at the end here:

http://youtu.be/V44nMspPhu4?t=6m13s

All you can hear is the guy who's filming it hoarsely croaking Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuhhhh. :LOL:

Really? That's not all I hear. You can hear the entire crowd at the very end. Listen again @6:25.

It's a very enthusiastic response.

Edited by savagegrace26

All you can hear is the guy who's filming it hoarsely croaking Yeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaauuuuuuuuuhhhh. :LOL:

Really? That's not all I hear. You can hear the entire crowd at the very end. Listen again @6:25.

I was sort of joking but there's no need, I heard it the first time. Sounds fair to middling.

It's a very enthusiastic response.

I watched as much as I could and got seasick if that helps any....... :blink:
  • Like 1