The Big Wheel - why?

dtpoet

I am self admitted play-it-to-death Rush type. Usually they are songs I loved at first release, don't listen to for a long while, rekindle the love affair until I play it over and over. Right now, one of the songs is The Big Wheel.

I didn't understand then why this song wasn't played on the RTB tour. Now, given current age and limitations, why they don't bring it out of the vault like Presto and other songs of the era. The vocals are well within his range and the harmony allows him to have to the option to utilize them on any given night if he wants to dare go higher. The guitar has fairly easy riffs throughout so it wouldn't be taxing on Alex. Same for the drums. Besides, it's an upbeat, rather rocking song. I just think, like Prime Mover, it would come across much better live.

Are there others that think this? It just surprises me that it's never been performed live.

Edited by dtpoet
  • Like 1

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

I thought you don't pay attention to lyrics?

He pays attention to vocals, but not the words themselves. I do find the vocal delivery of those lines puke-worth as well, and honestly the whole song just isn't very good. The verses have barely any melody to them, and the vocals are reverbed to hell. Just a bad track on a bad album honestly.

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

He pays attention to vocals, but not the words themselves. I do find the vocal delivery of those lines puke-worth as well, and honestly the whole song just isn't very good. The verses have barely any melody to them, and the vocals are reverbed to hell. Just a bad track on a bad album honestly.

^This. I might know some of the words but their meaning is lost on me. It doesn't take much to realize that revolting line is cheesy as hell.

Edited by BowlCity
  • Like 1

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

I might know some of the words but their meaning is lost on me.

You can't understand what "looking for love" means?

It doesn't take much to realize that revolting line is cheesy as hell.

A bad decision. One of those WTF moments that RUSH sings can have. Decent song in most respects, but that line is like nails on a chalk board.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4NVQFqsKK0

Listening right now, and I think it would be a great live track (much better than the title track, RTB). I love how it starts...nice variety of guitar work...power chords into the more intricate muted picking...the chorus is good (minus the L4L part)...nice positive lyrical sentiment...keyboard overlays would be support the use of some laser effects...the outro could really open up some cool improvisation by Alex.

I like your choice here, dtpoet.

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

I meant the meaning of the song, not that specific line. I'm sure if I sat down and read into the lyrics more I'd understand it fine, but overall I think they're unimportant.

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

I meant the meaning of the song, not that specific line. I'm sure if I sat down and read into the lyrics more I'd understand it fine, but overall I think they're unimportant.

It's about looking for love...and..uh...having hope in a random existence. I think that's it...

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

Yeah, I found that comment oddly ironic seeing as he likes CP so much.

• Like 1

The bridge is pretty cool, but as far as live songs go, this one is probably near the bottom of their list to dig out for a live performance. I think they like playing obscure songs that are at least relatively popular amongst the fanbase (like Presto or Circumstances) or songs that were once live staples (Marathon, Territories, TIme Stand Still).
  • Like 1

The bridge is pretty cool, but as far as live songs go, this one is probably near the bottom of their list to dig out for a live performance. I think they like playing obscure songs that are at least relatively popular amongst the fanbase (like Presto or Circumstances) or songs that were once live staples (Marathon, Territories, TIme Stand Still).

We've gotten all of those recently (and Territories was abysmal on the last tour...you could see the audience disengaging almost immediately as they realized they were getting yet another song they didn't know or didn't like).

• Like 1

I can think of many other lost songs I'd rather hear than this one. It just doesn't really come across as emoting anything. There a some effects which littler the RTB cd, and there's not really anything that makes this song more worthy of being played than others. If there was something from this album they should pull out, I would definitely choose Ghost of a Chance or Neurotica

We've gotten all of those recently (and Territories was abysmal on the last tour...you could see the audience disengaging almost immediately as they realized they were getting yet another song they didn't know or didn't like).

I know. That's what I was saying, they like pulling out those types of songs which is why they did those on the past few tours. I can't imagine them pulling out Hand Over Fist or The Speed of Love type songs because NOBODY ever mentions them and they were never popular live songs (probably because they were never played live, but I digress...). They seem to like pulling out obscure songs that were once popular or at least are universally liked/appreciated. Territories was never a favorite but still a welcome change from the usual. I'm pretty sure that every song before HYF, barring maybe stuff from their first 3 albums, could potentially be played by the band at this point.

Edited by GrandDesigner

Interesting, that wasn't my feeling at all. Most people were welcoming a change of pace after the raucousness of the first few songs. I certainly didn't mind hearing Territories again. Better than standing through Speed of Love

You can't judge it based on that because a lot of songs will get that kind of reaction if they're not the well known "hits". Has nothing to do with the quality of the song, people just generally prefer the familiar.

• Like 2

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

This is one of one Neil's many (I get there are many of them and *that* could be a legitimate argument about Neil's abilities) songs in which he talks about his struggles with religion.... "Looking for love" is followed by "or an angel to forgive my sins" for a reason. The Big Wheel, in particular, is really more a study in struggling with faith in the context of youth. Like most Rush songs, it's a whole lot deeper than the average. Trying to pick apart a Rush long by one lyric is like trying to understand the forest by focusing on one tree.

That said, I do agree it would make a nice live addition to an R40/R41 tour.

You can't judge it based on that because a lot of songs will get that kind of reaction if they're not the well known "hits". Has nothing to do with the quality of the song, people just generally prefer the familiar.

I was straight up giddy with Territories. I thought the included video was perfect. It was a socio political statement.... just as the song is. Those who run to the restroom or the beer line during that song don't get the song... which, frankly, is fine by me. Something tells me "Joe Six Pack" is more a Kiss guy than a Rush guy anyway.

LOOKINGGG FOR LURRRRRRV

/puke

This is one of one Neil's many (I get there are many of them and *that* could be a legitimate argument about Neil's abilities) songs in which he talks about his struggles with religion.... "Looking for love" is followed by "or an angel to forgive my sins" for a reason. The Big Wheel, in particular, is really more a study in struggling with faith in the context of youth. Like most Rush songs, it's a whole lot deeper than the average. Trying to pick apart a Rush long by one lyric is like trying to understand the forest by focusing on one tree.

Yes, the whole redemption/questioning your beliefs & purpose in life is layered in this song. Even the "looking for love" line has a deeper signifigance than appears. It's not a romantic fluff thing.

Roll the Bones and Snakes and Arrows are very similar thematically. They are pretty much companion pieces.

• Like 1