Boring drum solo R30

nicky6

I think the solos all have cool parts and sorta boring parts. I wish they could all be the length of the one from Exit...Stage Left (which may have been edited - who knows?)
  • Like 2

I think the solos all have cool parts and sorta boring parts. I wish they could all be the length of the one from Exit...Stage Left (which may have been edited - who knows?)

His solos do have that :beathorse: element. Didn't see the CA tour, but dividing it in three seems like a cool idea.

His solos do have that :beathorse: element. Didn't see the CA tour, but dividing it in three seems like a cool idea.

Him breaking up the solos like that was one of the most interesting things about the show. That little alteration from their standard formula made the show feel more fresh and excitining.

Just opening with Subdivisions was a surprise.

Say what you want about the sound quality and editing but this opening transition moment gives me chills. It's electrifying and unique "segue". I can rewatch the first minute of this over and over.

And the way this entire sequence is shot and edited is epic.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Ci_c77eQlk

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 6

Agreed. The "Three 1/3 solos" idea worked well. I think I actually had a friend take a bathroom break during the Time Machine solo (lol Love 4 Sale).

I'd rather have Alex bust a 5 minute solo, transitioning into a Lerxst rant these days.

• Like 3

Him breaking up the solos like that was one of the most interesting things about the show. That little alteration from their standard formula made the show feel more fresh and excitining.

Say what you want about the sound quality and editing but this opening transition moment gives me chills. It's electrifying and unique "segue". I can rewatch the first minute of this over and over.

I think thats my favorite live version of subdivisions

I think thats my favorite live version of subdivisions

Alex's guitar sounds cool. Kinda . . . mean, or something.

• Like 1

Most rock drummers should not solo. Neil's solo was always a highlight from when I started seeing Rush in 1981 but during the last decade they have lost the excitement for me. However, for years I have been suggesting that Neil insert a few short drum breaks into songs. Fast and showy in a few places but not too long. That is more exciting for the crowd.
  • Like 1

I enjoyed the drum solo when I first really got into Rush as a freshman in high school who was first learning drums. But it's not that interesting the second time around, let alone the thirtieth. I would prefer to hear a song. I like the band more than individual members. There are mini drum solos woven into numerous Rush songs anyway.
  • Like 1

I used to always enjoy Neil's solos but, over the last decade or so, I have found that his solos have gotten way too long. I often thought "this solo would be so much better if it was a few minutes shorter". That's one of the reasons I enjoyed the CA tour so much. Breaking it up into 3 shorter solos breathed new life into them.

I am bored by most of them frankly. I won't even listen to the one I have heard a million times by now. ATWAS. Just skip it anymore.... :|

For my taste, it's not simply that the solos are too long. It's that there is too much repetition from previous solos. I understand that Neil wants to "work on ideas and themes from previous solos", but for anyone who's head the live albums several times, it just seems like a waste. I was much more impressed by the content of the mini solos on the CA tour (though the binary love theme was quite flat).

However, I can put up with any amount of noodling in the drum solos as long as Neil promises to NEVER go back to noodling on the glockenspiel. THAT was just annoying...

• Like 2