What decade does Permanent Waves really belong in?

Lorraine

You're kidding right?

I'm not trying to knock Len here...but he definitely sounds like a 13 year old to me haha

Then that makes the ones Im not going to mention about 3...

Didn't we already know that?

I hadn't a clue lens age. Shocking and very impressive at the same time... :)

I meant that about the "others" seeming 3... but enough of that :) Let's have another 20 pages of fruitless arguing ;)

So you stated that your name "len(songs)" was chosen because you took a course in Python programming around the time you joined here (which was six years ago). So at 7 years old?

Are courses in programming offered at the elementary school level now or was it some online course? I expect children to get into programming earlier as time goes on but...

I joined here six years ago? What?

You're kidding right?

I'm not trying to knock Len here...but he definitely sounds like a 13 year old to me haha

I meant that about the "others" seeming 3... but enough of that :) Let's have another 20 pages of fruitless arguing ;)

So you stated that your name "len(songs)" was chosen because you took a course in Python programming around the time you joined here (which was six years ago). So at 7 years old?

Are courses in programming offered at the elementary school level now or was it some online course? I expect children to get into programming earlier as time goes on but...

I just glanced at your "member since" date on my phone...as "08 May"...thought it was 2008. Already mentioned this. Disregard.

You're kidding right?

I just glanced at your "member since" date on my phone...as "08 May"...thought it was 2008. Already mentioned this. Disregard.

Oh, bleh. Didn't see GSP's post or your response before quoting :wacko:

I feel that it’s an 80s album. For me, it was a perfect transition for Rush from the 70s to the 80s. It doesn’t really sound like a 70s album and it doesn’t really sound like a typical 80s album but it does lean more that way. Either way, it’s a GREAT album. Edited by TheBluePhoenix
  • Like 3

I feel that it’s an 80s album. For me, it was a perfect transition for Rush from the 70s to the 80s. It doesn’t really sound like a 70s album and it doesn’t really sound like a typical 80s album but it does lean more that way. Either way, it’s a GREAT album.

That it is. For me, it is the best they have ever done.

• Like 3

I am very late to this thread... but this is my all time favorite album.

The fact that it was released on 01.01.1980 is actually perfect. It is a bridge between those two decades. Recorded at the end of the 1970s to launch them into the 1980s.

Epic. Incredible. Legendary.

Those are the three words I use to describe the album.

Did I mention it is my favorite?

• Like 2

I feel that it’s an 80s album. For me, it was a perfect transition for Rush from the 70s to the 80s. It doesn’t really sound like a 70s album and it doesn’t really sound like a typical 80s album but it does lean more that way. Either way, it’s a GREAT album.

That it is. For me, it is the best they have ever done.

I am very late to this thread... but this is my all time favorite album.

The fact that it was released on 01.01.1980 is actually perfect. It is a bridge between those two decades. Recorded at the end of the 1970s to launch them into the 1980s.

Epic. Incredible. Legendary.

Those are the three words I use to describe the album.

Did I mention it is my favorite?

My favourite album, too. Except when it isn't. You know, those moments when another album becomes your fave for whatever reason, usually because you are listening to it.

It's my first new album from the band when I started listening to them - a kid of the seventies, so It's my favourite seventies album from them for sure. But I think p/g might be my favourite eighties album. Unless it's MP, PW. Even Signals was my favourite when it first came out. But Permanent Waves will always remain on my permanent favourite list.

Chonologically, the '80's. Though decades do have a fade/bleed out period. I consider Signals to be the first fully '80's sounding album without any of the '70's jamminess or bleedthrough.

And the keyboards.

So this has been revived. In repeating that I think it's a total '70s album, as is MP to me, I'll point out that if you were listening to music in January 1980 PeW totally sounded like more or less traditional rock and not "New Wave" which had been going on strong for at least a couple years. '78 saw the release of Blondie's Parallel Lines as well as the first Police and Cars albums. Talking Heads had been around awhile by that point. New Wave was not an '80s thing, it was an end of '70s looking forward thing, but PeW and MP were definitely not New Wave.

In my mind "the '80s" didn't start until videos like 1982's "Hungry Like the Wolf" transformed both mainstream pop and made MTV the groundbreaking medium for new artists over that of radio. When MTV started in 1981 it was mainly showing lame clips from concerts (REO Speedwagon was in heavy rotation I remember). It wasn't until 1982 that videos as art and stories (not just a film of the band playing) really exploded. So in my mind the '80s started in 1982; 1980 and '81 didn't feel much different than 1978/'79 to me. Which leads to another argument for PeW and MP being '70s albums. PeW didn't have any videos and MP's were simply the band playing in the studio. It wasn't until Signals that we got a bona fide video from Rush, in the spirit of the '80s.

• Like 1

I agree. In fact, I think the scientific community and the world at large should be informed that the last three or four decades should be defined by rock music trends. It seems to matter more to people.

Now, all we have to do is come to a consensus that Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are both 70s albums - because the 80s hadn't started yet. Permanent Waves is an easy argument, because it was written, recorded, mixed and mastered in the 70s. But how can we prove that Lee, Lifeson and Peart had "70s brains" when they wrote, recorded, mixed and mastered Moving Pictures. That's a tough one.

• Like 1

The beginning of any new decade looks and feels like an extension of the one that just departed. If you showed someone a picture that was taken in 1980, judging by the clothes and hairstyles, most people would guess it's from the 70's. I recently looked at pictures from 1990 and 1991 and they had 80's written all over them. So certainly anything dated 1/1/80 is going to have 70's style/sound/appearance written all over it.

But either way, does it really matter? The album kicks ass regardless. :haz:

I agree. In fact, I think the scientific community and the world at large should be informed that the last three or four decades should be defined by rock music trends. It seems to matter more to people.

Now, all we have to do is come to a consensus that Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures are both 70s albums - because the 80s hadn't started yet. Permanent Waves is an easy argument, because it was written, recorded, mixed and mastered in the 70s. But how can we prove that Lee, Lifeson and Peart had "70s brains" when they wrote, recorded, mixed and mastered Moving Pictures. That's a tough one.

Like I said, the "'80s" didn't start until 1982. :) Or, another way to look at it was the '80s started in 1978 with New Wave, but Rush hadn't got on that train yet with either PeW or MP. People say, "Well those albums had synthesizers and even reggae, so they've got touches of New Wave." But synths had been used heavily through the '70s and of course Bob Marley and Jimmy Cliff had been making popular raggae since the '60s. Hail, Zeppelin did reggae in 1973. Synths and reggae do not an '80s sound make. Besides, both The Police and British ska both started in the late '70s.

One more gray beard story. In 1981 when MP and "Take Off" made Rush Kings of the Rock World, briefly, the "New Wave" crowd I knew had absolutely zero interest in Rush. They still saw Rush as clearly a dinosaur pothead band and thought my devotion was confusing and unfashionable (to the point of jeopardizing whatever tenuous social status I might have had). Among my friends, we all agreed that The Clash, The Police, The Talking Heads, XTC, etc. were great. But we split at the edges with me and a couple others liking Rush, Zeppelin, etc., and our opposites (the majority) being into Simple Minds, Howard Jones, etc. The two camps agreed about the middle but not the bands at the edges. My New Wave friends had no more interest in Rush than I had in Simply Red (meaning, zero). The idea that PeW and MP are at all New Wave really confuses me. But hey, it's a free country, no matter.

Speaking of Take Off, a blast from the past. I wouldn't want to relive high school, but there was some good, like this. Canadian art at it's lovable best!:

• Like 2

It doesn't matter if Permanent Waves "feels" like a 1970's album.

It is a fact that it was officially released on January 1, 1980.

IMO it sounds like an 80's album, it is connected sound wise more toward MP and Signals than Hemispheres.