2014 MLB playoff poll

laughedatbytime

MLB Playoff Polls  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Who do you think will win the Series?

• Washington (Phil Simms would be proud)
    • Dodgers
    • Cardinals
    • Pirates
    • Giants
    • Angels
    • Orioles
    • Tigers
    • Royals
    • Athletics
  2. 2. Who do you want to win the Series?

• Washington
    • Dodgers
    • Cardinals
    • Pirates
    • Giants
    • Angels
    • Orioles
    • Tigers
    • Royals
    • Athletics

The fact that there's four days off before the start of the ALCS is really going to slow the Royals' momentum, I believe (though I hope not). I remember when the Rockies had won something like 19 out of 20 to get to the 2007 WS and then had about a week off. They probably wouldn't have won anyway (that was the most improbable run since the 1914 Miracle Braves), but it stopped all of their momentum and any chance they might have had.

Could it also slow the Orioles momentum? :huh:

The fact that there's four days off before the start of the ALCS is really going to slow the Royals' momentum, I believe (though I hope not). I remember when the Rockies had won something like 19 out of 20 to get to the 2007 WS and then had about a week off. They probably wouldn't have won anyway (that was the most improbable run since the 1914 Miracle Braves), but it stopped all of their momentum and any chance they might have had.

Could it also slow the Orioles momentum? :huh:

Sure, but the Orioles are probably the better team (85 better run differential) so all else being equal they'd be expected to win...

As a native of St. Louis and a lifelong Cardinal fan, I have to chuckle that no one other than myself picked the Cardinals to win it. It's as if the baseball world just pretends the Cardinals don't contend. Oh well, that actually seems to motivate my team. So does all hate and jealousy, but that's another story! :eyeroll:

Anyway, here's what I want to see happen: A 1985 rematch. I want this for three reasons. One, the Cardinals are obvious. Two, the Royals are a good story and good for baseball. Three, Don Denkinger.

Most of you know the story, but in case there are some who don't: Among an actually solid career as an umpire, Don Denkinger is really only known for being the guy who made the worst blown call in World Series history. He called Jorge Orta safe at first in the 8th inning of 1985 Game 6 when replays showed he was *clearly* out. It wasn't even bang-bang close. My nearly blind great grandmother knew the call was blown watching the game live. Going into that inning the Cardinals had a 1-0 lead and a 3-2 series lead. The Royals scored 2 in that inning and won the game 2-1. The Royals then went on to blast an exasperated Cardinal team Game 7. On one hand, the Cardinals could have pulled themselves together, rather than melting down. On the other hand, the ridiculously bad call (and, at the time, Denkinger's, refusal to listen to the argument that he blew the call, let alone reverse it) obviously shook the team so badly that it was the source of the meltdown.

The result is a Cardinal Nation that, right or wrong, feels it was robbed of a World Series ring and a Royal Nation, that in their heart, knows their lone World Series title is tainted by a really bad call.

Fast forward to today. Denkinger is retired, but a few years ago let ESPN do a story on him. They toured his home and found out he paints for a hobby. In his basement, he did a mural of his career and smack in the middle of that mural, the large centerpiece, is a rendition of the Game 6 call: including Denkinger missing it. When asked about why he did that, Denkinger basically said, I blew the call and it is what I am known for so it has to be the centerpiece. (Side note: For years I wanted to hate Denkinger... I couldn't after that. The man owned he blew the call. The man came to peace with the fact he blew the call. The man is human. It wasn't his fault MLB wasn't using replay, or even allowing umpire conferences to discuss a potential missed call, at the time.)

Anyway, a KC/STL World Series gives KC, St. Louis, and Denkinger the opportunity to move past 1985. If KC wins, okay, they have their legitimate World Series (assuming the baseball gods don't bring chaos into it). If St. Louis wins, the fans feel redeemed. Either way, Denkinger gets to shake the monkey off his back.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime
  • Like 2

By the way, the most interesting 2014 playoff factoid I have heard thus far...

The combined payroll of the LA Angels, LA Dodgers, and Detroit Tigers: $553,800,000 (that's more than half a *billion* dollars).

The combined playoff victories of the LA Angels, LA Dodgers, and Detroit TIgers: 1.

• Like 1

The combined payroll of the LA Angels, LA Dodgers, and Detroit Tigers: $553,800,000 (that's more than half a *billion* dollars).

The combined playoff victories of the LA Angels, LA Dodgers, and Detroit TIgers: 1.

:goodone:

Oakland A's payroll? 74,765,900...3rd from the bottom. It is a big reason I am a fan.

Edited by goose
  • Like 1

Oakland A's payroll? 74,765,900...3rd from the bottom. It is a big reason I am a fan.

I dig the A's. Being a uniform geek, I even dig the white shoes. I also appreciate the Moneyball aspect of the team (although, really, all teams are using the Bill James model to some degree at this point - it's just some teams have more money to throw at it). A few years back, I went to a game in Oakland. The facility is awful, but the fans were fun. They love baseball. Alas, I do think Oakland might have to relocate at some point given the horrendous nature of the stadium and territorial games the Giants are playing. That would be sad for the fans in Oakland and for baseball, in general.

• Like 1

I dig the A's. Being a uniform geek, I even dig the white shoes. I also appreciate the Moneyball aspect of the team (although, really, all teams are using the Bill James model to some degree at this point - it's just some teams have more money to throw at it). A few years back, I went to a game in Oakland. The facility is awful, but the fans were fun. They love baseball. Alas, I do think Oakland might have to relocate at some point given the horrendous nature of the stadium and territorial games the Giants are playing. That would be sad for the fans in Oakland and for baseball, in general.

Hey...easy on the stadium. Oakland just put tens of thousands into a stadium renovation so that the locker rooms no longer flood.

It's down right luxurious now!

Hey...easy on the stadium. Oakland just put tens of thousands into a stadium renovation so that the locker rooms no longer flood.

It's down right luxurious now!

I will give the stadium one nod.... SN Pale on draught. Other than that... it's a s***hole. :scared: