Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

antiquark

Should Geddy retire due to his voice?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

• Yes
    • No

I'm happy he's going as long as he can..........but he should slow down on the live shows.......let me stress......NOT RETIRE.....just slow down. Cause it could help a little On the CA DVD His voice does this weird yodel like squeak going into notes and phrases that's really distracting.

Mick

I saw the show first at the movie theater with my family (Son and wife are fans. Sons girlfriend had barely heard them before). It had me sinking in my seat it was so painful. I honestly couldn't wait for it to end. Fortunately there was some funny sh*t at the end to relieve the tension....

Edit: If you could imagine sitting through all of Clockwork Angels (discounting The Garden. Its was beautiful whether you knew it or not) and that show and not knowing any of the songs like they did. Brutal.....

Can you be any dramatic? It's your own fault for bringing a bunch of people who don't know the band to see them in a movie theater of all places. It wouln't have went over well regardless of which show it was.

A movie theater is probably the worst place to watch a "concert". Completely defeats the purpose.

Edited by savagegrace26

I would never take anyone who isn't very familiar with Rush to see a concert dvd in a movie theater. At least at a concert they could wander around or drink or whatever and the entire experience is so overpowering that they'd more than likely enjoy it whether they cared for the music it or not.

Sitting in a movie theater watching it is like being strapped into a catapault and you know how it's going to end...you can't get out...I don't think I would enjoy seeing any Rush concert at a movie theater. Movie theaters are for movies...

For me one of the biggest problems for me is his loss of enunciation. In the 70's. Through all the hardcore vocals. You could understand every single word. He's sadly a mush mouth now. I understand partly it's production. but he can't properly form WORDS anymore. and that's a problem. Especially for mr proper diction here, lol

Mick

Agreed. His enunciation went first, followed by his pitch. Everything is all vowels now, and sometimes those vowels are way out of tune.

• Like 3

For me one of the biggest problems for me is his loss of enunciation. In the 70's. Through all the hardcore vocals. You could understand every single word. He's sadly a mush mouth now. I understand partly it's production. but he can't properly form WORDS anymore. and that's a problem. Especially for mr proper diction here, lol

Mick

Agreed. His enunciation went first, followed by his pitch. Everything is all vowels now, and sometimes those vowels are way out of tune.

He can't trill the way he used to either. What do they call that? Vibrato?

Mick

Is "trill" the word o the day today?..... :D
  • Like 1

Mick

Yeah, it's called vibrato.

• Like 1

Really, I personally think it would be a good idea for them to tune everything down a half step(not just the isolated ones they already tune a whole step down for) as it wouldn't be that noticeable and would relieve a lot of stress from his voice.

Judas Priest did this and Halford sounded magnificent.

I think he sounds great on this version of Freewill.

Not when compared against this version (skip to 4:14):

I would say he sounds good even compared to the studio version

I wouldn't. I say he didn't sound "great" on that live version up there, during the "Geddy still has it" benchmark that everyone likes to trot out. His pitch was off and his enunciation was shit. That said, the verses are about where his range is these days and he sang those pretty good for the most part.

• Like 1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wg_oRxm2Nxg

http://youtu.be/OnxkfLe4G74

I wouldn't. I say he didn't sound "great" on that live version up there, during the "Geddy still has it" benchmark that everyone likes to trot out. His pitch was off and his enunciation was shit. That said, the verses are about where his range is these days and he sang those pretty good for the most part.

You guys are starting to sound like the people who used to put down Rush just because they didn't like Geddy's voice. The irony here is amazing. Objectively Geddy has never sounded "great". Especially in the 70s, his sreeching vocals were all over the place live and I find that period to be the hardest to listen to as far as live vocal performances from him.

He pulled off that performance of Freewill pretty damn good for a guy his age with so many touring years behind him and I find it very enjoyable to listen to.

• Like 6

The "old fan" "newer fan" thing is coming.... :|

Defining "old fan" in this case as someone who was there and listening for hour after hour and day after day almost from the beginning to "that voice" and it is so ingrained that anything less disappoints to at least some degree.....

• Like 1

I still think that half step down would make all the difference and prolong his touring life

What if he doesn't want to prolong it?

Then that's entirely up to him...I'm just giving an opinion on how I believe he could improve things, though I'm not sure why I'm explaining this to you as it was pretty evident.

• Like 3

Anyone who listens to Snakes & Arrows - Live and thinks Geddy's voice is just fine, is seriously deluded, or blinded by their fanboyness that they have lost all objectivity regarding Rush, or maybe just doesn't hear well.

As JARG said, either stick to just making albums, or give it up already.

I literally can't even.

Anyone who listens to Snakes & Arrows - Live and thinks Geddy's voice is just fine, is seriously deluded, or blinded by their fanboyness that they have lost all objectivity regarding Rush, or maybe just doesn't hear well.

Most of this if not all is true in my view. I selfishly disagree with the last part only because I want to see them one more time before they call it quits or I die.... :codger:

This might be the dumbest post I've seen since I joined...:facepalm:
  • Like 2

F*ck this thread man. I hope Geddy reads it and retires because of this shit.

Some of the most talented musicians on earth and some of you don't want them to tour because Geddy's vocals aren't "perfect" anymore? Their shows are still awesome and some of his vocals issues aren't even noticable when you are actually there enjoying the awesome show.

Whatever. I hope you all get nitpicked to death when your "skills" start declining because of age (if you even have any to begin with).

• Like 5

Definitely no! What they should do, like it or not, is lean towards the newer material that is shaped around his naturally occuring vocal changes. Complain all you want but the man shouldn't still be trying to sing Circumstances. However I think he sang all of Clockwork Angels quite beautifully. He's one of the most accomplished musicians on the planet. Ask yourself if you really want him to hang it up because he can't sing like he did when he was twenty-five.

This might be the dumbest post I've seen since I joined... :facepalm:

I've seen much dumber and most likely have posted some. There is alot of truth in that post. Just my opinion and you may have to be older to "really" understand it. I realize I am in the minority on this one and I am sure Fordgalaxy and JARG do too but just don't give a sh*t.... :codger:
  • Like 1

I think the older fans on the forum that were there at the beginning and have been there all along really understand this better than the younger people here. You can watch videos and listen to old recordings all you like but there is a real difference in actually having been there. Those of us that were there from the beginning feel the pain of the decline much more. It's heartbreaking to see his voice go downhill.
  • Like 5