Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

antiquark

Should Geddy retire due to his voice?  

58 members have voted

1. 1. Should Geddy retire due to his voice?

• Yes
    • No

A lot of people have noted that Geddy can't really sing as high as he did many years ago. Should Geddy retire? He could still play bass, maybe hire Justin Bieber to do the vocals.

I voted "no" by the way... people have been complaining about Ged's voice since 1974, I doubt he cares much about what other people think!

Edited by antiquark

when I'm at the show I usually don't even notice his f**k-ups

it's when I go back and relisten to the show that I notice every little f**k up

so my solution is...don't listen to any live recordings after 2007! :D

• Like 5

Yes! The whole band should have retired from touring at the conclusion of the VT tour. I'm fine with them continuing to record albums, but they are nowhere near the live band they once were. It's painful to go to shows these days. I go out of some weird sense of loyalty, but I always regret it after the fact.
  • Like 1

His voice was spectacular on the CA album. And I didn't notice his issues when seeing them live—I was too caught up in the show.

On the album maybe. The recorded show not so much. I was in pain for him watching and listening.... :( Edited by Narpski
  • Like 2

I'm happy he's going as long as he can..........but he should slow down on the live shows.......let me stress......NOT RETIRE.....just slow down. Cause it could help a little On the CA DVD His voice does this weird yodel like squeak going into notes and phrases that's really distracting.

Mick

• Like 2

This is a very touchy subject here.

I am going to vote "no". I hope that he would know when the time has come to call it quits.

I would hope so, too, but it's beginning to look like he doesn't.

• Like 1

I'm happy he's going as long as he can..........but he should slow down on the live shows.......let me stress......NOT RETIRE.....just slow down. Cause it could help a little On the CA DVD His voice does this weird yodel like squeak going into notes and phrases that's really distracting.

Mick

I saw the show first at the movie theater with my family (Son and wife are fans. Sons girlfriend had barely heard them before). It had me sinking in my seat it was so painful. I honestly couldn't wait for it to end. Fortunately there was some funny sh*t at the end to relieve the tension....

Edit: If you could imagine sitting through all of Clockwork Angels (discounting The Garden. Its was beautiful whether you knew it or not) and that show and not knowing any of the songs like they did. Brutal.....

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Don't know about retiring, but his voice is showing wear and tear. He apparently knows it because they scheduled more days off between shows to give his voice a chance to rest.

Anyone who listens to Snakes & Arrows - Live and thinks Geddy's voice is just fine, is seriously deluded, or blinded by their fanboyness that they have lost all objectivity regarding Rush, or maybe just doesn't hear well.

As JARG said, either stick to just making albums, or give it up already.

• Like 1

For the record I don't think he should retire but I won't listen to anything recorded live after the turn of the century. Either his voice sounds bad or the production or both. Two songs recorded from Rush In Rio came on Pandora this morning when I was at the gym. I couldn't stand 30 seconds of either one of them. I just listened to the glory of ATWAS last night too so that didn't help matters either....
  • Like 1

If you don't like Geddy's vocals as they now sound, you're not a true fan. ;)

Was waiting for that one and it only took one page.... :codger: :laughing guy:
  • Like 2

For me one of the biggest problems for me is his loss of enunciation. In the 70's. Through all the hardcore vocals. You could understand every single word. He's sadly a mush mouth now. I understand partly it's production. but he can't properly form WORDS anymore. and that's a problem. Especially for mr proper diction here, lol

Mick

• Like 3

yeah, it's not an accusation that he's not doing a good job, but he is getting older and his voice won't last and it's not as clear as it used to be. His register, high or low, has nothing to do with it.
  • Like 3