Am I the only one who likes Virtuality?

len(songs)

I enjoy it. T4E is such a hit and miss cd, so uneven, but I do listen to Virtuality when it comes on.
  • Like 1

I like it. The guitar riff is really heavy. The lyrics don't bother me either. There are still modems around. We use them all the time. So I think the song is still relevant.
  • Like 1

I like it. The guitar riff is really heavy. The lyrics don't bother me either. There are still modems around. We use them all the time. So I think the song is still relevant.

Cyber dating (dating sites, girls meeting boys online, etc) is way more prevalent than it was in 1996 so the song is more relevant than it was then.

I wasn't posted threads looking for Rush chicks in 1996.

I can feel the voltage from your fingertips....uh...

• Like 2

Cyber dating (dating sites, girls meeting boys online, etc) is way more prevalent than it was in 1996 so the song is more relevant than it was then.

I would agree that it's more relevant today in a sense. I also think some people take lyrics too seriously. I tend to listen to the music first and a distant second to the lyrics. That's probably because I'm a musician and the music stands out. But I know a lot of people really tune in on the lyrics first. I still hold out hope for many more instrumentals from them in the future.

• Like 1

I would agree that it's more relevant today in a sense. I also think some people take lyrics too seriously. I tend to listen to the music first and a distant second to the lyrics. That's probably because I'm a musician and the music stands out. But I know a lot of people really tune in on the lyrics first. I still hold out hope for many more instrumentals from them in the future.

I really pay attention to the lyrics. The lyrics are part of the reason why I got into this band. I love the majority of Neil's lyrics.

That being said, I don't think the Virtuality lyrics are bad. The "net boy net girl" never bothered me. It's not a serious song and I don't take it as one. It's fun and enjoyable.

Now The Speed of Love and Dog Years...Virtuality is not on that level...Virtuality's lyrics are not great but they aren't horrible either as they do not add to or take away from the song for me.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 2

I really pay attention to the lyrics. The lyrics are part of the reason why I got into this band. I love the majority of Neil's lyrics.

That being said, I don't think the Virtuality lyrics are bad. The "net boy net girl" never bothered me. It's not a serious song and I don't take it as one. It's fun and enjoyable.

Now The Speed of Love and Dog Years...Virtuality is not on that level...Virtuality's lyrics are not great but they aren't horrible either as they do not add to or take away from the song for me.

Oh I agree about those other two songs. They really stand out.

You are definitely NOT the only one.

I'm a HUGE fan of this song...have been since day one of listening to TFE.

I've never understood the criticisms in regards to the lyrics, at all. Can some lines be considered "corny"? Sure. But I'm sure the same can be said for many other lyrics over the years...and that would include other songs from their 'Classic' period.

Like it was stated above...the song was written for 1996...time to get over it people!!

It's easily a top-three TFE song for me...along with Time & Motion and the title track. :yes:

• Like 2

It's a fun song. Nice groove, musically. The lyrics are a bit much today (as the whole thing is really little more than a bunch of cliched metaphors), but really, for 1996, they were actually ahead of their time. Kind of like this portion of Prime Mover:

I set the wheels in motion

Turn up all the machines

Activate the programs

And run behind the scene

I set the clouds in motion

Turn up light and sound

Activate the window

And watch the world go 'round

I can't be the only one who thinks Neil was waaaaaay ahead of the technology curve with those lyrics.

• Like 1

It's one of my favorites from T4E. Love the groove of "let's dance tonight to a virtual song..."

Parts might seem trite now, but given that it was written almost 20 years ago, it was very relevant then. I remember well static modems and the new and bizarre nature of the internet.

• Like 3

i think it's a pretty good song. it sounds great on the Great Woods and Summer Skies bootleg
  • Like 1

The lyrics have aged quite well if you're not superficial, and the music is very good. I really like this song minus the "net boys and girls".

The lyrics have aged quite well if you're not superficial,

:laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy: :laughing guy:

Is online escapism somehow not relevant anymore? The lyrics were quite prescient. If it weren't for the use of the word "modem", I doubt anyone would talk about the lyrics not aging well, and if it weren't for "net boys", I doubt there would be much criticism of the lyrics at all.

• Like 1

Is online escapism somehow not relevant anymore? The lyrics were quite prescient. If it weren't for the use of the word "modem", I doubt anyone would talk about the lyrics not aging well, and if it weren't for "net boys", I doubt there would be much criticism of the lyrics at all.

I think it was the phrase "if you're not superficial" that made me laugh. The lyrics are hardly deep. And they felt clunky when the first came out.

I think it was the phrase "if you're not superficial" that made me laugh. The lyrics are hardly deep. And they felt clunky when the first came out.

They're not deep, but they describe something that wasn't very common in 1996-97, but is pervasive now. The lyrics, and sentiments behind it, were far ahead of their time. And while not deep, it took a very observant person to make the connections at that time.

• Like 1

Great riff,fantastic instrumental break,catchy chorus.Ok the lyrics could be a bit corny and perhaps dated,but i have always overlooked the lyrics because of the power of the music.The chorus almost is dreamlike when you consider being lost in the 'cyberspace'.For me one of the best songs on TFE and of the their 90s era which i feel are severely maligned by people who can't get past 2112 or Moving Pictures.On the downside this seems like the beginnings of the loudness wars ,an ominous sign of the things to come.
  • Like 1

Its miles ahead of Carve Away the Stone which i find totally ordinary.
  • Like 2

It came on my iPod again today...still sounds amazing to me. I can never understand the hate.

If you really think about it...the lyrics aren't any more cheesy than the ones found on Cygnus X-1, Twilight Zone, I Think I'm Going Bald, By-Tor, etc.

Would people respect Virtuality more if it were released in the 70's or 80's?? :smash:

• Like 1

It came on my iPod again today...still sounds amazing to me. I can never understand the hate.

If you really think about it...the lyrics aren't any more cheesy than the ones found on Cygnus X-1, Twilight Zone, I Think I'm Going Bald, By-Tor, etc.

Would people respect Virtuality more if it were released in the 70's or 80's?? :smash:

80's maybe but 70's I would certainly hope not.... :codger:
  • Like 1

80's maybe but 70's I would certainly hope not.... :codger:

Of course. That was before the internet existed (in any meaningful way). Neil would be f***ing Jules Verne...

• Like 1