Am I the only one who likes High Water?

savagegrace26

High Water took 18 years for me to recognize it's brilliance. It's not immediately accessible or "catchy" in a traditional sense so that's part of why people dislike it I think. The layers are there. There is a lot of detailed complexity and richness. You just have to let it flow into your blood...like water...absorb it....soak it up and you will see one day...it's the most complex song instrumentally and compositionally on HYF and I think that pushes away people because of the mostly "pop" oriented nature of the album. High Water is anything but poppy songwriting. It's an elaborate, beautifully crafted piece of compositional genius that is so detailed and subtle that it takes 18+ years of introspection and analysis for it's greatness to be fully understood. High Water...you take me home...take me home...
  • Like 1

High Water took 18 years for me to recognize it's brilliance. It's not immediately accessible or "catchy" in a traditional sense so that's part of why people dislike it I think. The layers are there. There is a lot of detailed complexity and richness. You just have to let it flow into your blood...like water...absorb it....soak it up and you will see one day...it's the most complex song instrumentally and compositionally on HYF and I think that pushes away people because of the mostly "pop" oriented nature of the album. High Water is anything but poppy songwriting. It's an elaborate, beautifully crafted piece of compositional genius that is so detailed and subtle that it takes 18+ years of introspection and analysis for it's greatness to be fully understood. High Water...you take me home...take me home...

And you yelled at Spaghetti for copy pasting.

Won't say I liked it right off, but after getting bludgeoned by the likes of Primer Mover, Turn The Page and Mission it revealed itself nicely after the first 25 or so spins of Hold Your Fire.

It takes that many spins huh? Maybe I will like it by 2020 then.... :)
  • Like 2

Won't say I liked it right off, but after getting bludgeoned by the likes of Primer Mover, Turn The Page and Mission it revealed itself nicely after the first 25 or so spins of Hold Your Fire.

It took me 18 years as I've stated before. I used to think it was bland and one of Rush's worst.

Now I think it's borderline fantastic...a soothing ethereal atmospheric mood setter....it just opened up to me somehow. I listened to it several times then watched this. I never realized how complex and intricate the precussive elments were:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lv-w-2gwejk

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

It was 1987. I had a hell of a lot more free time then!

I didn't then but I do now :LOL: I actually listened to HYF today. I always skip the last two but today I tried to get through High Water at least. I made it about a minute and a half through and had to shut it down..... :)
  • Like 2

I didn't then but I do now :LOL: I actually listened to HYF today. I always skip the last two but today I tried to get through High Water at least. I made it about a minute and a half through and had to shut it down..... :)

Think of it as a poor mans Jacob's Ladder

Just like Tai Shan is a "shitty version" of Xanadu

I dig it.

I think it's a great tune - I like the bass riff - I could do without some of the keyboard stuff, but I've never really complained about the tune. Hold Your Fire has never been one of my favourite Rush albums, but I give it a spin now and then. I think it has some great playing on it.
  • Like 1

Really? I find it similar to Scars in its grooving feel.

Though to be fair, I will put the song on and give it another try. Just for you, savagegrace26
  • Like 1

its better than out of the cradle, and we hold on, and wish them well..

Are you on crack? Out of the Cradle is brilliant! :codger: