I'm thinking about gutting one of my guitars

The Analog Grownup

My second guitar hasn't got much playing time since I got my Les Paul and one of the pickup wires broke off. It's a Schecter C1+ which is an amazing guitar. I have a Gibson pickup in the neck position which is way too dark and muddy, and a Dimarzio Paf Pro in the bridge.

I would like to take everything out and rethink that guitar. New pickups and completely new wiring of the pots. I'm thinking about doing some sort of coil splitting, but I'm not sure yet. It is a two humbucker guitar with one volume knob and two tone knobs.

Do any of you have any suggestions to pickups (passive) that would lend themselves great to coil tapped tones, and suggestions to wiring of it all? My Les Paul have Burstbuckers 1 and 2 in them, so it would be great if the new pickups matched them in output.

Thank you :)

The Burstbuckers are alnico II magnets, so perhaps I should find some pickups that have the same type. Then comes the question should I have one volume and two tone knobs, or two volume and one tone knob. One or two push-pull knobs. Maybe three?

Choices, choices, choices ;)

I did my Les Paul a few years ago. Pulled out the BurstBuckers and put in Classic 57s and push pull knobs for tap and phase for both. I have it wired so I can isolate any coil.

Not sure 2 tone knobs would be a way to go. You could have more control with 2 volume. If you have 2 pickups selected and you roll the top end off one but not the other it would be hard to hear the difference when mixed against other instruments. If you roll off both then you might as well just have one anyway. If you have 2 volumes you could mix the two together for far more variety of tones.

Am I reading that you want to strip some of the hardware off this guitar, cannibalising it, add the parts to another guitar and dump the one you've broken? :unsure:

He wants to de-gut this guitar, and then re-gut it with new electronics.

• Like 2

Am I reading that you want to strip some of the hardware off this guitar, cannibalising it, add the parts to another guitar and dump the one you've broken? :unsure:

Okay... but if that's the case, why do that if it's hardly been played?

It's hardly been played because he isn't really happy with the way it sounds compared to his other guitar. Upgrading it will make it more interesting and fun to play.

• Like 2

It's hardly been played because he isn't really happy with the way it sounds compared to his other guitar. Upgrading it will make it more interesting and fun to play.

Well, I was going to add that if he's not happy with it, then maybe sell it. Other than that, thanks for helping out. :)

Well, I was going to add that if he's not happy with it, then maybe sell it. Other than that, thanks for helping out. :)

Yep. When you aren't happy with a guitar, your options are to upgrade it, or sell it and get another guitar.

• Like 1

Yep. When you aren't happy with a guitar, your options are to upgrade it, or sell it and get another guitar.

Well, there's a third option that is very popular. You screw it to the wall over your kitchen table, and invite your friends to eat at "the Hard Rock Cafe."

Or the 4th option called Hendrixing. Burn it with fire. ;)

Well, there's a third option that is very popular. You screw it to the wall over your kitchen table, and invite your friends to eat at "the Hard Rock Cafe."

Talking of that, why on earth did he set it on fire?

Because he could. It was cool also....

But a perfectly good guitar? :blink:

That's just rock and roll.

• Like 1

Because he was trying to compete with Pete Townshend of The Who.

• Like 1

That is not an option since this is my first guitar I bought, so I want it to stay with me. It just needs some upgrades to add some different flavors than my main axe ;)

So far I think I might go with two volumes and one tone. The tone knob will be to balance the overall tone to that of my Les Paul, and two different volumes can give some interesting sounds. I could use a blend pot instead of a tone pot also.

I saw a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro bridge pickup for cheap, would that work well as a coil tapped pickup?

So far I think I might go with two volumes and one tone. The tone knob will be to balance the overall tone to that of my Les Paul, and two different volumes can give some interesting sounds. I could use a blend pot instead of a tone pot also.

I saw a Seymour Duncan Alnico II Pro bridge pickup for cheap, would that work well as a coil tapped pickup?

I'm not too familiar with the Duncans but I've heard they're pretty good for coil tapped pickups. I've got Alnico V's in mine but they're out of the Gibson factory.

Dr. Cooper might have a better answer.

That's just rock and roll.

Point taken.