Rickenbacker doubleneck

iBytor

Hey guys,

so i really want to buy a rickenbacker doubleneck but they're all so hard to find these days, and i was wondering if anyone knew if this site was legit, or if anyone has used this site

http://thetopguitars.com/custom-double-neck-rickenbacker-black-fireglo-bass.html

it seems $685 is too cheap... thoughts?

It's not really a Ric. You get what you pay for. Ric double necks are rare and haven't been in production for years. Hell, their regular line are hard enough to get a hold of. Though GC has had some recently. Even still I haven't seen a 4080-12 for less than $7k used.
  • Like 1

A 362-12 is a 6 string and 12 string double neck where Geddy played a 4080-12 which is a bass and 12 string double neck. Very different.

£7995 is just under $13,000. Like I said above I haven't seen a 4080-12 for less than $7000.

• Like 2

A 362-12 is a 6 string and 12 string double neck where Geddy played a 4080-12 which is a bass and 12 string double neck. Very different.

£7995 is just under $13,000. Like I said above I haven't seen a 4080-12 for less than $7000.

And if I remember correctly, Geddy had two Rick double necks -- a bass/12-string (Xanadu) and a bass/6-string (Bangkok).

• Like 1

No I think it was just the one. Someone bought it from Geddy several years ago. I think LerxstLuthier may have posted about it.

Oh yeah. I have that picture. Never looked at it closely I guess. That's the only picture of that one I've seen. Never a live shot. I had bunches of pictures of the black one on my walls as a kid.

There's a lot of Chinese knockoffs out there with varying degrees of accuracy. Cygnus is right, you get what you pay for. That one is odd because the bass is on the bottom. I bought one for $500 made under the name "FishBone" which is not very accurate - the neck scales are correct but the body is much smaller. After about $200 worth of work in a luthier's shop, it was playable, but don't expect miracles from a $500 or $600 double neck in any instance... A skilled luthier can probably make an authentic copy from scratch for about $3000-$4000.

I don't think Rickenbacker ever made more than 500 doublenecks in total, so the collector prices are outrageous. John Hall, CEO of the company made it pretty clear they were never going to re-issue it, so what is out there is all there is. That opened up the market for the knockoffs, but be careful ordering from overseas, Mr. Hall is very protective of the design and apparently about half of the knockoff shipments are seized at the border as counterfeits.

As for Geddy's, the black 4/12 is at the Civilization Museum near Ottawa (archived, not displayed) and as far as I know, he still owns the white 4/6. I thought I remember seeing it hanging on the wall in a picture or video taken in his home studio.

Thanks for that. :)

Well... I heard of someone in Toronto who bought a Burgundy 4080 for about $2000 on eBay in the late 90's. Jokingly said on AMR he had to eat Kraft Dinner for a year to afford it. Last year, there was a Burgundy 4080 on Kijiji TO listed for $15 000. I don't know if he got his price or not, but I assume he sold it because right after that, The Camera Eye Rush tribute in Quebec City started using a Burgundy 4080. Assuming he got even half of what he was asking, say about $7000 current market value, that's like 250% ROI in less than 20 years. I don't have a lot of investments that can claim that, and none I can play Xanadu on. Bottom line, they are never making any more, and that guitar will sell for over $20 000 in about 15 years.

Oh yeah. I have that picture. Never looked at it closely I guess. That's the only picture of that one I've seen. Never a live shot. I had bunches of pictures of the black one on my walls as a kid.

Oh he used it in concert. I took this shot on the Permanent Waves tour in Buffalo. I'm not sure if he used it beyond that tour though.

http://i761.photobucket.com/albums/xx257/andreww1962/RUSH111_zps814ef1f7.jpg

• Like 2

No way I could have seen that picture and that's before I got to see them. Just now noticed the humbuckers. I think the black one has PAFs of some kind on it.

Just googled "Geddy Doubleneck" and all but one picture are the black 4080-12 (which does have chrome PAFs on the guitar). The only picture of the white one is the one posted by 1-0-0-1 above.

This is a 12 string. Look closely. Ric 12 string headstocks have the alternate tuning machines mounted differently so they resemble 6 strings aesthetically. Look in between the tuning machines you can see clearly:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/AlexGeddy.jpg

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

This is a 12 string. Look closely. Ric 12 string headstocks have the alternate tuning machines mounted differently so they resemble 6 strings aesthetically. Look in between the tuning machines you can see clearly:

http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/ll215/TPesch2112/AlexGeddy.jpg

That's interesting. I'm not sure I ever saw the black one in concert, it was usually the white one.

To me that's interesting because there are hardly any pictures of the white one. I found another today. But the black one is on several posters, postcards and many magazines and was pretty much the image of Geddy coupled with Alex using his doublenecks from about 1978 until Moving Pictures or Signals.
  • Like 1

To me that's interesting because there are hardly any pictures of the white one. I found another today. But the black one is on several posters, postcards and many magazines and was pretty much the image of Geddy coupled with Alex using his doublenecks from about 1978 until Moving Pictures or Signals.

Hard to tell why unless they were trying to be color coordinated for some of the pics. :)

EDIT: Just thinking that maybe the white one was a backup for a time or something? Might have just been luck of the draw at the time.

Edited by EagleMoon

He had the black one first as far as I know. In pictures Alex was seen with both cherry and Alpine White models next to Geddy with the black 4080-12. Geddy is credited on AFTK as playing "twelve string guitar" which is more than likely for Xanadu because he plays guitar under Alex's solo then solos himself at the end (doubled by Neil on the glockenspiel).

Here's the Xanadu video where the 12 string is more clear from behind plus in some shots you can see the two slots in the headstock where the recessed winders live:

http://youtu.be/SEuOoMprDqg

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2