The Cigar thread

Jack Aubrey

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (CanEHdian @ Sep 28 2005, 11:45 PM)
QUOTE (DonnaWanna @ Sep 29 2005, 12:02 AM)
Us potheads took over Jacks cigar thread,
Maybe we should make a  herb thread so jack can get  his thread back  ph34r.gif
Sorry Jack  unsure.gif  confused13.gif

Sorry bout that Jack

Jack -- relax.

Get busy with the... oh, you know. b_sigh.gif

I guess you could say this thread got "high-Jacked" for a little bit. wink.gif

I had a nice big Strawberry Blunt (white owl), with the Purple stuff inside. cool10.gif

QUOTE (2hi @ Aug 7 2006, 11:23 AM)
I had a nice big Strawberry Blunt (white owl), with the Purple stuff inside. cool10.gif

Strawberry White Owls? Those aren't cigars, they're candy.

No disrespect intended, but this is a cigar thread. Do a search for the 4:20 thread in Random Samples to post about.......other smokeables.

I enjoyed a Flor De Flores Cabinet Selection Double Corona yesterday. If you've never tried these cigars, you should. It's a Nicaraguan puro wih a smooth draw and a spicy (but not too spicy) flavor. One of my favorites!

I'm new to cigars. I used to only smoke them when i went fishing, but for the last few months, i've been smoking about five a week or so. I ONLY smoke those strawberry white owls. I think they're pretty good. I smoke them AS THEY ARE INTENDED FOR USE though... just to be clear there. laugh.gif

Now about two weeks ago I went to my first cigar shop and bought a few other brands. Can't remember the names, but they were all vanilla flavored. The guy didn't have any better quality than White Owl in stock. Wasn't sure if he EVER got any strawberry flavored at all actually. So i got a few vanillas. One i liked.

I smoked a non-flavored cigar not long ago. It was a Jamaican. The thing was HUGE. Took me hours to smoke it. yes.gif I didn't like it much. Quite harsh. I'm a noob to cigars though. Maybe by next RushCon. The guy at the shop told me right now... i'd puke from a Cuban. 062802puke_prv.gif

laugh.gif

So gimme those white owl candies for now. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 7 2006, 10:02 PM)
I'm new to cigars. I used to only smoke them when i went fishing, but for the last few months, i've been smoking about five a week or so. I ONLY smoke those strawberry white owls. I think they're pretty good. I smoke them AS THEY ARE INTENDED FOR USE though... just to be clear there. laugh.gif

Now about two weeks ago I went to my first cigar shop and bought a few other brands. Can't remember the names, but they were all vanilla flavored. The guy didn't have any better quality than White Owl in stock. Wasn't sure if he EVER got any strawberry flavored at all actually. So i got a few vanillas. One i liked.

I smoked a non-flavored cigar not long ago. It was a Jamaican. The thing was HUGE. Took me hours to smoke it. yes.gif I didn't like it much. Quite harsh. I'm a noob to cigars though. Maybe by next RushCon. The guy at the shop told me right now... i'd puke from a Cuban. 062802puke_prv.gif

laugh.gif

So gimme those white owl candies for now. laugh.gif

The next time you're in the mood for a non-flavored cigar, try a Macanudo. They're very mild and reasonably priced. I like to refer to them as 'starter' cigars.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 7 2006, 09:40 PM)
I'm new to cigars.  I used to only smoke them when i went fishing, but for the last few months, i've been smoking about five a week or so.  I ONLY smoke those strawberry white owls.  I think they're pretty good.  I smoke them AS THEY ARE INTENDED FOR USE though... just to be clear there.  laugh.gif 

Now about two weeks ago I went to my first cigar shop and bought a few other brands.  Can't remember the names, but they were all vanilla flavored.  The guy didn't have any better quality than White Owl in stock.  Wasn't sure if he EVER got any strawberry flavored at all actually.  So i got a few vanillas.  One i liked. 

I smoked a non-flavored cigar not long ago.  It was a Jamaican.  The thing was HUGE.  Took me hours to smoke it.  yes.gif  I didn't like it much.  Quite harsh.  I'm a noob to cigars though.  Maybe by next RushCon.  The guy at the shop told me right now... i'd puke from a Cuban.  062802puke_prv.gif 

laugh.gif 

So gimme those white owl candies for now.  laugh.gif

The next time you're in the mood for a non-flavored cigar, try a Macanudo. They're very mild and reasonably priced. I like to refer to them as 'starter' cigars.

Thanks for the tip Jack. I will. I am getting more and more into them. I know that those White Owls are the industry bottom, but they last awhile and I really like strawberry. yes.gif

I am venturing further into this though. I hate cigarettes and never smoked them, so it's tough starting to smoke anything at forty. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 7 2006, 10:50 PM)
What do you know about pipes? I have thought I might get into a pipe even more. And CeeJ was saying they might be more my thing as well. yes.gif

I've only smoked a pipe once, and that was twenty years ago. It was okay, but I never took it up. I remember that the tobacco I smoked was called Cavendish, and it was quite nice. Very mellow.

~~Coughin~~~

AGG too friggin smokey in this thread

cigars Stank sad.gif 062802puke_prv.gif

bolt.gif

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 7 2006, 10:49 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 7 2006, 09:40 PM)
I'm new to cigars.  I used to only smoke them when i went fishing, but for the last few months, i've been smoking about five a week or so.  I ONLY smoke those strawberry white owls.  I think they're pretty good.  I smoke them AS THEY ARE INTENDED FOR USE though... just to be clear there.  laugh.gif 

Now about two weeks ago I went to my first cigar shop and bought a few other brands.  Can't remember the names, but they were all vanilla flavored.  The guy didn't have any better quality than White Owl in stock.  Wasn't sure if he EVER got any strawberry flavored at all actually.  So i got a few vanillas.  One i liked. 

I smoked a non-flavored cigar not long ago.  It was a Jamaican.  The thing was HUGE.  Took me hours to smoke it.  yes.gif  I didn't like it much.  Quite harsh.  I'm a noob to cigars though.  Maybe by next RushCon.  The guy at the shop told me right now... i'd puke from a Cuban.  062802puke_prv.gif 

laugh.gif 

So gimme those white owl candies for now.  laugh.gif

Thanks for the tip Jack. I will. I am getting more and more into them. I know that those White Owls are the industry bottom, but they last awhile and I really like strawberry. yes.gif

I am venturing further into this though. I hate cigarettes and never smoked them, so it's tough starting to smoke anything at forty. laugh.gif

Oh, and if you prefer a sweeter tasting cigar, make sure that Macanudo is a maduro. Dark brown (almost black, really) maduro wrapper tobacco is fermented longer than light brown wrappers, which results in more sugars being produced resulting in a sweeter taste.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Aug 7 2006, 08:50 PM)
What do you know about pipes? I have thought I might get into a pipe even more. And CeeJ was saying they might be more my thing as well. yes.gif

Alot of work goes into smoking a cigar. Packing, lighting, re-packing and more re-packing and tampering. I would start out with a tobacco such as Captain Black. Cheap, sweet and smells good.

I usually smoke Macanudo's and A-Fuente but wanting something different. ne one have any favorites, let me know

QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Aug 12 2006, 10:47 PM)
I usually smoke Macanudo's and A-Fuente but wanting something different. ne one have any favorites, let me know

Gurkha.

Sherpa.

Flor de Florez Cabinet Selection.

You can't go wrong with any of those.

QUOTE (The Analog Kid @ Aug 15 2006, 06:35 PM)
Puros Indio Rothschild

Good smoke!

Just smoked an Indian Tabac Maduro Super Fuente, box pressed. It was super fuente for sure. Not an every day smoke.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 15 2006, 05:08 PM)
QUOTE (defrushfan01 @ Aug 12 2006, 10:47 PM)

Gurkha.

Sherpa.

Flor de Florez Cabinet Selection.

You can't go wrong with any of those.

Ill def try one out

Devoted Local Cigar Industry Icon Dies On The Job At 90

Skip directly to the full story.

By MARY SHEDDEN The Tampa Tribune

Published: Aug 19, 2006

TBO.com Site Search | Tribune archive from 1990

TAMPA - Like clockwork, Stanford Newman drove his Cadillac to work each morning, dressed in a suit and tie, a pocket square tucked neatly in the breast pocket.

The 90-year-old felt invigorated by Ybor City's J.C. Newman Cigar Co., the family company he spent seven decades building and growing into a name known by aficionados around the world.

It was at work on Tuesday where Newman suffered a cardiac arrest. He died Thursday at Tampa General Hospital.

"His hobby, his life was the cigar business," said Eric Newman, one of his two sons.

Friends and family on Friday recalled the cigar industry icon who helped shape Tampa's economy, culture and history in the second half of the 20th century.

"He liked the people, the personality, the pace," his son said.

Initially, Eric Newman said his father cringed at the thought of moving to Tampa, where his father moved the company's operations in 1953. When the family arrived a year later, Eric Newman said his father was ready to return to Cleveland.

"He wanted to get back on the plane, it was so hot," Eric Newman said.

At the time, however, Ybor City was the center of the cigar-making industry, and Stanford Newman knew he needed to stay.

Newman was born into the cigar industry. His Hungarian immigrant father, J.C. Newman, had started his Cleveland business by the time Stanford Newman was born in June 1916.

He officially started working for the family business in 1934, when he persuaded his father to let him handle sales in downtown Cleveland, according to Newman's 1999 autobiography, "Cigar Family: a 100 Year Journey in the Cigar Industry."

Newman managed to keep the company successful, despite enormous changes and struggles - including the Cuban embargo that devastated Tampa's thriving cigar industry. During another low point, Newman mortgaged his home at the age of 70 to solidify the company's future, his son said.

Friends said Newman had a significant effect on the city he and his wife of 60 years, Elaine, called home.

"He was a great part in growing Tampa, in building the city of Tampa," said friend Dick Clarke, president of the Peninsula Paper Co. "He not only contributed to it in money, but also in service."

Clarke, who quit smoking years ago, admits one of his favorite times with Newman was the annual Gasparilla parade, when the friends would light up a special stogie.

His effect on the community and cigar making has been recognized by numerous awards, including a 2003 honor from the Florida Holocaust Museum, the 2001 Ernst & Young Florida Entrepreneur of the Year title and his 2000 induction into the Cigar Aficionado's Hall of Fame. He also served as one of the founders of the Ybor City State Museum.

Although he had handed over day-to-day control of the J.C. Newman Co. to his sons, he continued to serve as chairman and showed up at work five days a week. It remains a major maker and distributor of cigars, including those made by business partner Carlos Fuente.

Just last week, Eric Newman said, the father called his sons together to strategize the future of the cigar industry should Cuban dictator Fidel Castro die and the United States lift the embargo on prized Cuban cigars.

Eric Newman said the past 10 years likely were his father's happiest. He survived triple bypass surgery a decade ago and considered every breath after that a gift.

They celebrated his birthday in May, and this fall the J. C. Newman Co. is making available 1,000 boxes of a handmade cigar called Stanford's 90th Diamond Crown Maximus.

"We could not have had a better script," Eric Newman said. "Except maybe if he had made it to 100."

http://news.tbo.com/news/metro/MGBPUR1H1RE.html

I just picked up a box of La Vieja Habana by Drew Estate. Famous Smoke had these for $16 - $20 a box, depending on the size, a couple of weeks ago.

Now that is one damn fine smoke for under a buck a stick.

La Gloria's this past weekend. Buddy got them from a client who said they were from Cuba- can't confirm, but they were OUTSTANDING.

I'd pay $25 for more of those.