The Cigar thread

Jack Aubrey

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last week I smoked a Cuban Cohiba that my wife snagged at an estate sale. It was my first ever Cuban cigar...just wonderful, smooth, cool, great all the way around. There were 2 of them and both were top notch.

Tonight as a gift to myself I am trying a cigar that was made for a tobbaconist here in Louisville by a small shop in Miami, can't wait.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Nov 11 2009, 10:11 PM)
enjoying a fine CAO America this evening, no matter how many of them I've had , great every single time

i've had the italian and the brasil ones. the were pretty good but that was last year and i was experimenting confused13.gif

i'm enjoying a nice cohiba limited edition tubo IV. pretty good but i was after the family reserve V which is supposed to be one of the best of 2009. the cigar afficianado website has some real good videos, too. not going back to that cigar shop on newbury & gloucester st. no padrons & parking can be a bitch. nice females all over i was like HANDLEZ!

been smoking a ton of the local shop's hand rolleds as of late, and loving every puff on those sumatra wrapped goodies. Also been smoking a lot of Rocky Patel Nordings, which I highly recommend to anyone who likes a full bodied, slightly spicy, power smoke.

Is there a difference in terms of how addicting smoking is when it comes to cigars and cigarettes? My grandpa smokes a cigar now and then but he used to be a heavy cigarette smoker. If smoked both before but just to try it. I am thinking of smoking cigars later but I really don't like cigarettes for some reason...is that unusual? unsure.gif

This is something I've always wanted to do just... cuz. I want to experience it. The thing is, no other girlfriends are crazy about trying this and I feel weird lighting up alone. The husband flat out refuses.

Would it be weird if I purchased just one cigar from a nice cigar shop? Can you purchase just one? I'm feeling like I want to do this, this weekend. To hell with everyone else. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Good,bad,andrush @ May 4 2011, 06:01 PM)
Is there a difference in terms of how addicting smoking is when it comes to cigars and cigarettes? My grandpa smokes a cigar now and then but he used to be a heavy cigarette smoker. If smoked both before but just to try it. I am thinking of smoking cigars later but I really don't like cigarettes for some reason...is that unusual? unsure.gif

I have a cigar from time to time. Probably once a week. My father in law has one a bit more often. We both have quit cigarettes long ago and never feel addicted to them. He doesn't either.

Yesterday I enjoyed a Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur IV. Wonderful. This past weekend it was a beautiful and tasty AVO classic. Wish I could afford to ave these on hand at all times.

I'll tell you what, one of the best smokes I've had was the Rocky Patel "The Edge". It is usually around $6.25 but man it smokes, and taste better than many of the $9 or $10 cigars I've smoke. It is definitely worth a try.

Also if you like something a little different, NUB cigars, especially the 466 Habano, are pretty good. They seem like they wouldn't be worth the money because they are about 3.5 inches long but they burn for at least an hour. The habano is a little spicier but nothing over-powering.

Rocky Patel Edge

http://www.citycigarcompany.com/site_assets/www.citycigarcompany.com/images/dynamic/Feature%20Cigar%20Images/Rocky%20Patel%20The%20Edge.jpg

NUB Habano 466

http://puffingcigars.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/06/nub-habano.gif

QUOTE (micgtr71 @ May 4 2011, 08:32 PM)
Yesterday I enjoyed a Hoyo de Monterey Excalibur IV. Wonderful. This past weekend it was a beautiful and tasty AVO classic. Wish I could afford to ave these on hand at all times.

I've seen the Excalibur IV before and always wondered if it was good, I guess I'll have to try it.

QUOTE (Janie @ May 4 2011, 08:01 PM)
This is something I've always wanted to do just... cuz. I want to experience it. The thing is, no other girlfriends are crazy about trying this and I feel weird lighting up alone. The husband flat out refuses.

Would it be weird if I purchased just one cigar from a nice cigar shop? Can you purchase just one? I'm feeling like I want to do this, this weekend. To hell with everyone else. tongue.gif

I say just go for it, maybe start with Acid cigar (it's a company tongue.gif )

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jun 26 2009, 11:29 PM)
just finished one of my all time favorites, Camacho Triple Maduro. A beautiful, oily maduro wrapper, hugging, you guessed it, lots and lots of maduro goodness inside. A very full bodied smoke, with ample spice from the pre-light draw all the way through the slow burn. A hint of cacao at the toasty conclusion, just an absolutely amazing cigar. I highly, highly recommend it to anyone that likes their cigars big and bold and full bodied. And it goes excellently with a good single malt or bourbon.......

Thanks for the recommendation, so far the strongest cigar I've had was the Series O by Oliva (nice maduro wrapper). The cacao finish seems interesting and quite tasty. Is the strength of this cigar on par with say, triple ligero cigars?

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ May 14 2008, 07:58 PM)
I had my first experience with a cigar about a week and a half ago when I was in Washington DC. Don't remember the brand, but it was about $11 and I know it was Venezuelan and full-bodied and I bought it at Union Station.

It's probably either an acquired taste or I wasn't doing it right, but I was kind of underwhelmed.

It's probably because it was full-bodied, you probably should have started with something milder. I'd try one more cigar, a mild one, before you make your final judgement.

trink39.gif

I've been sticking with my Gurkhas for a while now as I've yet to find anything better.