The Cigar thread

Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 22 2007, 07:04 AM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 21 2007, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 14 2006, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 11 2006, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 8 2006, 10:48 AM)
quit smoking!!! it's bad for you!!  rage.gif

You've obviously never enjoyed a fine cigar.

no i haven't and i will never try one, think of all the shit you get in your lungs. i'm better whitout... wink.gif

Does anyone here actually inhale cigar smoke? If so you're a better man than I! ohmy.gif

I only smoke 'em on special occasions (like 2.gif tours), but I do really enjoy them then, and only the good stuff thank you. I'll be looking for some of the makes suggested by those in the know. THX!

No, you dont inhale cigar smoke. (At least most people dont). I enjoy a cigar about once every couple of weeks. Its really (IMO) the only way to enjoy tobacco at its best. Its also a wholly relaxing activity, especially if enjoyed in one of your favorite passtimes (golfing, sitting/relaxing with your fav drink) ... smile.gif

No, you should never inhale cigar smoke. Unless you really, really enjoy puking your guts out.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 22 2007, 09:55 AM)

No, you should never inhale cigar smoke. Unless you really, really enjoy puking your guts out.

Well, you just never know. My troop leader in the scouts used to chew Red Man, and he very seldom did he spit. On occasion he would actually swallow the chaw, and call it dessert! wacko.gif 062802puke_prv.gif I probably don't have to tell you what he died of. rose.gif At the time he was everybodys hero, and he was a hell of a guy don't get me wrong, I just wonder how many of the kids from Troop 36 followed that lead. At the time, it was the thing to do.

Oh hell, that's way too much of a downer to end on. It's all about moderation anyway, so smoke 'em if you got 'em!! trink39.gif

even with all the cigars I try (5 Vegas Series A and Gurkha's Connecticut Reserve among the best lately) I find myself returning back to 3 particular favorites time after time, Gloria Cubana's Serie R maduro, Punch Gran Puro, and Rocky Patel Sungrowns. All three are excellent smokes, I highly recomend them.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jul 24 2007, 12:38 AM)
even with all the cigars I try (5 Vegas Series A and Gurkha's Connecticut Reserve among the best lately) I find myself returning back to 3 particular favorites time after time, Gloria Cubana's Serie R maduro, Punch Gran Puro, and Rocky Patel Sungrowns. All three are excellent smokes, I highly recomend them.

I love a good Maduro

I would like to describe the wonderful cigars that I smoked in Vegas over the weekend, but I don't want Digital Man to be arrested by the Federal Authorities!

Thanks Dm!!!

cool10.gif

my new humidor arrived last thursday, along with a bunch of cigars, and I have a brand new favorite smoke. Rocky Patel Fusion, with hints of cedar and nutty flavors, not too strong or mild, even burning right down to the nub, it paired most wonderfully with 15 year Glenfidditch (but what doesn't really?).

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Jul 31 2007, 12:17 AM)
my new humidor arrived last thursday, along with a bunch of cigars, and I have a brand new favorite smoke. Rocky Patel Fusion, with hints of cedar and nutty flavors, not too strong or mild, even burning right down to the nub, it paired most wonderfully with 15 year Glenfidditch (but what doesn't really?).

Well, I've found that milk doesn't pair well with Scotch. (Just goofin'! laugh.gif )

I've heard nothing but good things about Rocky Patel cigars and plan to get my hands on some soon.

Is anyone else here a Cigar Dave fan? If you like cigars or "dice, dames, and spirits" you should check out his show.

QUOTE (pedro2112 @ Jul 31 2007, 12:05 AM)
I would like to describe the wonderful cigars that I smoked in Vegas over the weekend, but I don't want Digital Man to be arrested by the Federal Authorities!

Thanks Dm!!!

cool10.gif

You are more than welcome, it was Vegas so I figured we all deserved a treat. Luckily where I live now there aren't the "trade rules" there are in the states. wink.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 2 2007, 07:35 PM)
YOU MUST TRY THIS CIGAR (see below)

A. Fuente, Hemmingway...

Afficianado gave it a 92, and today I found out why. One of the best smokes Ive ever had. Costs about $5. Make sure its the Hemmingway...

AWESOME!!!

http://urubu.files.wordpress.com/2006/04/Fuentes_Hemingway_Cigar.jpg

Took your advice and tried the Hemmingway in Vegas. (actually just finishing it up now with a nice Merlot). I can't claim to know much about cigars, in fact I think I lit the wrong end! doh.gif But it's very enjoyable. Of course since I bought it in Vegas it was $15. ohmy.gif But then I paid $80 for the 12yr Macallan there as well. (once I found it) Damn air travel rules.

I find the nicotine effects of a cigar much more subtle and mellow than a cigarette, which I might have once in a blue moon if I'm at a bar. Must be all the additives and crap they put in cigarettes, and probably the quality of the tobacco. A question: is all of the tobacco in a cigar fermented or just the wrapper?

well, after finding many truely great cigars lately, I was bound to run into a few bad ones, and I have run into 2 very very bad ones. Fonseca Serie F and Leon Jimenes Connecticut. Both were bland, overly mild and left me wondering why I lit them up in the first place. Unfortunatly I still have 4 more left of each in my humidor, maybe if I let them sit a bit they'll get better with age, I can hope.

QUOTE (doubled_mystic @ Aug 3 2007, 12:43 AM)
well, after finding many truely great cigars lately, I was bound to run into a few bad ones, and I have run into 2 very very bad ones. Fonseca Serie F and Leon Jimenes Connecticut. Both were bland, overly mild and left me wondering why I lit them up in the first place. Unfortunatly I still have 4 more left of each in my humidor, maybe if I let them sit a bit they'll get better with age, I can hope.

Give them another year, then sample

Just finished a CAO Brazilia. Quite a fine smoke. Thought it was a monduro but it may just be what a brazillian wrapper looks like.

After five years of searching for the finest Brazilian wrappers available, CAO has finally obtained the most outstanding crop of beautiful, rich, brown wrapper leaf from Brazil. Aged to perfection and blended with rich yet smooth Nicaraguan fillers, this cigar was created with the most discriminating connoisseur in mind. The large gauge sizes were selected to create a full-bodied cigar rich in complex flavors.

I am withdrawing my endorsement of La Aroma De Cuba. I had my second crappy one. It burned unevenly, and went out a lot, and was poorly wrapped. Yuck. Luckily, I had an A. Fuente Hemmingway stading by, which is one of the finest smokes out there - even burn, great flavor. A finish so good you want to use a roach clip. smile.gif

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Oct 27 2007, 09:20 AM)
A finish so good you want to use a roach clip. smile.gif

That I would like to see!

Don't have much to add to this thread as I am not a cigar smoker. I've smoked cigars in the past though as well as chewed tobbacco. At this point in my life the only time I am likely to smoke another cigar is deep in the woods and it would be for its insect repelling properties.

Hey, check out this deal!

Thompson Cigars is offering a ten cigar sampler for $20.00 and when you order this sampler they send 2 cigars to troops serving overseas in your name! Plus the cigars in the sampler are all good brands. According to them, the full retail value of the sampler is $83. Here's the link with all the info. Get ten quality sticks and support our troops at the same time! Awesome!

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jul 22 2007, 07:55 AM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Jul 22 2007, 07:04 AM)
QUOTE (Weakly Criminal @ Jul 21 2007, 10:57 PM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 14 2006, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Oct 11 2006, 06:11 AM)
QUOTE (mortkort @ Oct 8 2006, 10:48 AM)
quit smoking!!! it's bad for you!!  rage.gif

You've obviously never enjoyed a fine cigar.

no i haven't and i will never try one, think of all the shit you get in your lungs. i'm better whitout... wink.gif

Does anyone here actually inhale cigar smoke? If so you're a better man than I! ohmy.gif

I only smoke 'em on special occasions (like 2.gif tours), but I do really enjoy them then, and only the good stuff thank you. I'll be looking for some of the makes suggested by those in the know. THX!

No, you dont inhale cigar smoke. (At least most people dont). I enjoy a cigar about once every couple of weeks. Its really (IMO) the only way to enjoy tobacco at its best. Its also a wholly relaxing activity, especially if enjoyed in one of your favorite passtimes (golfing, sitting/relaxing with your fav drink) ... smile.gif

AMEN to that!

QUOTE (BestIKenster @ Feb 1 2008, 04:51 PM)
Ever have a macanudo?
Heard they are good, my brother-in-law-like them. ph34r.gif

I started out smoking those. Nowadays I prefer a more robust cigar but if you want something mild Macs are the way to go.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 1 2008, 04:06 PM)
QUOTE (BestIKenster @ Feb 1 2008, 04:51 PM)
Ever have a macanudo?
Heard they are good, my brother-in-law-like them. ph34r.gif

I started out smoking those. Nowadays I prefer a more robust cigar but if you want something mild Macs are the way to go.

yes.gif

recent trial and error have landed me a few new favorites, and a few that I wish I had never ever smoked. Of the really good ones, the best would be the Ghurka Triple Ligero, a spicey blend of ligeros under a very dark oily maduro wrapper. Lots of cedar and earthy flavors to it, also some hints of choclatu goodness, very full bodied, it's quickly flying up my personl favorites list. In fact I have yet to expereicne a bad cigar from any of the Ghurka varieties I have tried, and I've sampled quite a few. The Ghurka Class Regent Napalese Warrior still stands firm as my favorite of everything I have yet smoked- Cameroon wrapper surrounding Honduran binder and filler, it's a little cedary and earthy, very creamy and smooth, and it's only problem is it's a bit on the small side (6" x 50).

Of the bad cigars I've had lately, the one that sticks out most is the Cohiba XV (Xtra Vigoroso). A cigar calling itself extra vigorous is one I'm expecting to be knock-me-on-my-tail full bodied (as for instance the Rocky Patel Edge Maduro did, which was a great smoke), but the XV came up lacking and in fact didn't really have much flavor to it at all. It burned really quick, and was on the steep side for a single smoke. All in all a disapointment.

Im with george carlin " arent you sick and tired of all this cigar smoking bull*** in this country - laugh.gif