Any Horror Fans On TRF?

Virtualbob64

I do remember somebody's hand coming out of the water, because Brian DePalma stated that is where he got that idea.

Lars Von Trier made a Danish mini series called "Riget" (The Kingdom). It's a mixture of humor and horror. One of the scariest scenes from that series is the birth of a full grown man, played by Udo Kier.

Maybe it doesn't "translate" well to audiences outside of Denmark, as you probably know Lars Von Trier is a weirdo.

This clip is in Danish, but yeah ...

• Like 1

I'm not a fan, but my girlfriend loves these things. What would you guys recommend? It would be nice to see one we both enjoy. Ideally the movie would have to rely on something other than excessive gore like Saw, Hostel or that trope of cutting to the scary thing and playing a high pitched noise/tune (that's not scary, it's borderline comedy because of how hard these movies are trying to scare people). Edited by USB Connector

The Conjuring is the modern day classic! Best horror film in the last 30 years!
  • Like 3

I'm not a fan, but my girlfriend loves these things. What would you guys recommend? It would be nice to see one we both enjoy. Ideally the movie would have to rely on something other than excessive gore like Saw, Hostel or that trope of cutting to the scary thing and playing a high pitched noise/tune (that's not scary, it's borderline comedy because of how hard these movies are trying to scare people).

I much prefer suspense-based films over horror & gore. One of my all time favorites is Audrey Hepburn's Wait Until Dark. Alan Arkin is great in it as well.

• Like 1

I'm not a fan, but my girlfriend loves these things. What would you guys recommend? It would be nice to see one we both enjoy. Ideally the movie would have to rely on something other than excessive gore like Saw, Hostel or that trope of cutting to the scary thing and playing a high pitched noise/tune (that's not scary, it's borderline comedy because of how hard these movies are trying to scare people).

I much prefer suspense-based films over horror & gore.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ogGKBiMX8KU

Me too. Quiet tension is more unsettling than straight up horror and I included several of those type of films in my list since the "horror" overlaps as well.

Polanski was very effective with these as is Michael Haneke although I've only seen a few of his films.

Films that fit into effective "quiet tension" for me, psychologically unsettling or creepy/disturbing:

Vertigo

Rear Window

The Birds

Rosemary's Baby

The Tenant

Repulsion

Chinatown

Taxi Driver

Nosferatu: Phantom der Nacht

The China Syndrome

Let the Right One In

Funny Games

The Piano Teacher

I Stand Alone

Irreversible

Dead Ringers

Dead Calm

Se7en

No Country For Old Men

Children of Men

Shutter Island

Requiem for a Dream

Black Swan

Pi

Oldboy

Midnight Express

Deliverance

Cries and Whispers

Off the top of my head.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 5

Me too. Quiet tension is more unsettling than straight up horror and I included several of those type of films in my list since the "horror" overlaps as well.

Polanski was very effective with these as is Michael Haneke although I've only seen a few of his films.

Films that fit into effective "quiet tension" for me, psychologically unsettling or creepy/disturbing:

Vertigo

Rear Window

The Birds

Rosemary's Baby

The Tenant

Repulsion

Chinatown

Taxi Driver

The China Syndrome

Let the Right One In

Funny Games

The Piano Teacher

I Stand Alone

Irreversible

Dead Ringers

Dead Calm

Se7en

No Country For Old Men

Children of Men

Shutter Island

Requiem for a Dream

Black Swan

Pi

Oldboy

Midnight Express

Deliverance

Cries and Whispers

Off the top of my head.

Thanks guys. I'll look up of these movies.

Vertigo

Rear Window

The Birds

Rosemary's Baby

The Tenant

Repulsion

Chinatown

Taxi Driver

The China Syndrome

Let the Right One In

Funny Games

The Piano Teacher

I Stand Alone

Irreversible

Dead Ringers

Dead Calm

Se7en

No Country For Old Men

Children of Men

Shutter Island

Requiem for a Dream

Black Swan

Pi

Oldboy

Midnight Express

Deliverance

Cries and Whispers

Off the top of my head.

I'd add The Vanishing (original)

Did someone kill off all the horror fans here ??

I told them to stay out of the barn...

It's either that or the basement. DON'T GO IN THERE!

Definitely not to make out.
  • Like 1

Did someone kill off all the horror fans here ??

I told them to stay out of the barn...

It's either that or the basement. DON'T GO IN THERE!

Definitely not to make out.

All this reminds me of the classic Friday The 13th .. filmed right next door to me in Hope and Blairstown, NJ

Fans of horror, to me, are like fans of metal - very dedicated and bonded into this wonderful cult ..

I was lucky enough to chat with the late great Betsy Palmer ( Mrs Vorhees ) and she told me that when filming Friday The 13th, Sean Cunningham didn't have all the proper permits for filming, and shots like the one in which Annie gets out of the truck at the beginning of the film - at the crossroads by the cemetery gates - that was all improv, as the crew would drive around looking for suitable locations ..

The Moravian Cemetery gates in Hope, NJ still look exactly the same today .. aside from a few newer houses, that area remains unchanged ..

annie_hope_nj.jpg

CEM46547586_128915772219.jpg

Edited by Lucas