Freekin WOW!!! I need GUIDANCE into my new world of RUSH.

NewRUSHfan

I am 39, I am a musician, and I love hard rock. Why the hell am i just NOW realizing that this band absolutely KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!! I mean WOW!!! I saw RUSH: Live In Cleveland on VH1 and it was like an epiphany. Luckily I DVR'd it and I can NOT stop watching it now. What is the matter with me? Or should I say......what HAS BEEN the matter with me? Why did it take me this long to realize that these guys are amazing musicians? I have been missing out. But it is better late than never. Now I need someone to guide me into the world of RUSH. What CD's do I buy first? What DVD's should I buy first? I love live performances and from what I understand, and from what I have seen, this band is incredible live. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.
  • Like 12

Before anyone jumps in and says you should start with any particular record, I'll say let your own ears guide you. Their catalog is so big that it's impossible for all Rush fans to agree on every single thing Rush. My own Rush journey started with one record at the time. I found one and listened to it, and if I liked it at this particular moment I would buy it.

Welcome aboard and have fun :)

• Like 6

Start with Hemispheres. Then move on to 2112 (side one only), A Farewell to Kings (esp. Xanadu), then move on to Permanent Waves and Moving Pictures.

If you're going to start with songs, begin with Xanadu, then move on to La Villa Strangiato, 2112, and Natural Science.

Forget they recorded anything between 1985 and 2010.

• Like 3

Start with the live albums All The World's A Stage and Exit...Stage Left, see what songs you like most and get the studio versions. That's just my 2 Cents.

Welcome to the show. :cheers:

• Like 6

Welcome and great first post.

Here's my choices...

A Farewell to Kings (1970s)

Grace Under Pressure (1980s)

Counterparts (1990s)

Clockwork Angels (2000s)

R30 on DVD gives you a pretty broad coverage of their career.

Welcome again and be sure to post back your thoughts and perspectives on your new Rush discovery!

-Cheers, RGLT

• Like 1

What about dreams? Did you dream about the band? That's considered really cool around here.

:LOL: Edited by Narpski

I have to say, I envy you. I wish I could go back and rediscover all of their music for the first time all over again.

I would recommend Permanent Waves for a starting point. Listen on some good quality headphones

• Like 5

Wow!!! I love the feedback so far. You guys are great! I seem to really like "Moving Pictures" so far. I think I'm going to get that CD first. What other CD is a must? And what DVD or show or tour for that matter, is their best live performances ever? Probably a stupid question because every show they do seems fantastic on youtube.

I would start with the Exist Stage Left CD/DVD. It is the tour that the band made after Moving Pictures, which was the height of their popularity. It has many of the songs recommended by the people here so far, and is a great collection. After that, I'd actually work backwards until you don't "feel it" anymore. After that I'd move forward until you don't "feel it" anymore. If you're really a hard rock guy, that could even be as early as the first album after Moving Pictures as they went into full-on synth mode at that time. If the synths don't do it for you, skip ahead to Counterparts (their return to a harder sound). And then keep moving forward.

In the first stage of "moving backwards" from Exit Stage Left, I would make sure you get the live album "All the World's A Stage". At no other time was the band as energized, exciting, and dangerous as they were on that record. It is easily my favorite live recording. But like Exit Stage Left, it is also a good summary of the four studio albums which preceded it.

• Like 5

Moving Pictures is a great starting point. I might try Power Windows after that. Then go back to 2112. Enjoy!

Would he move to Power Windows as a warning to stay out of that era of music, then go back to 2112 to feel the warmth of guitars and great songs?

• Like 4

Welcome to the wild and wacky world of Rush friend! I'm new to them myself by a couple of months now and am completely hooked.

While advice is grand, for myself, I'm kind of glad that I just started out on my own at my local record store before looking too much info up or getting input from others. I started randomly with a used copy of 2112 and loved it to pieces. And I'm also finding more on my own, while taking licks of advice off of here which is really just letting me sample a great variety of stuff that I might not have known was awesome if I had approached it in a different way. For example, I'm currently hooked on 'Roll the Bones' of all albums :LOL:...

• Like 2

Wow!!! I love the feedback so far. You guys are great! I seem to really like "Moving Pictures" so far. I think I'm going to get that CD first. What other CD is a must? And what DVD or show or tour for that matter, is their best live performances ever? Probably a stupid question because every show they do seems fantastic on youtube.

You're not going to get a consensus on any of this, and Analog Grownup is right about the diversity of Rush's catalogue and the fundamental uselessness of any other fan's opinion regarding forming your own Rush tastes. There's only one really important thing that other fans can tell you, which is to give all Rush records plenty of chances to grow on you. This board is full of stories of people who "never liked" this album or that album, but one day "GOT IT" and fell in love. This even happens with people who have been fans for many years, and thought they were absolutely certain of the material they didn't like.

What a rich and wonderful journey you are embarking upon! I'm excited for you. And if you find a good Rush tribute band in the area, let me know!

Edited by GeddysMullet
  • Like 4

I am 39, I am a musician, and I love hard rock. Why the hell am i just NOW realizing that this band absolutely KICKS ASS!!!!!!!!! I mean WOW!!! I saw RUSH: Live In Cleveland on VH1 and it was like an epiphany. Luckily I DVR'd it and I can NOT stop watching it now. What is the matter with me? Or should I say......what HAS BEEN the matter with me? Why did it take me this long to realize that these guys are amazing musicians? I have been missing out. But it is better late than never. Now I need someone to guide me into the world of RUSH. What CD's do I buy first? What DVD's should I buy first? I love live performances and from what I understand, and from what I have seen, this band is incredible live. So if someone could point me in the right direction I would really appreciate it.

If you're a guitarist, pick up Permanent Waves.

If you're a bassist, pick up Power Windows.

If you're a drummer, pick up Counterparts.

If you play something else, pick up guitar, bass, or drums.

Edited by JARG
  • Like 2

Hee hee, welcome! And be prepared for a long and wonderful obsession :D As The Analog Grownup mentioned, Rush's catalog is large and diverse so just explore on your own. There are factions here who like this and dislike that, so don't worry about what others say.

The band is,in fact, incredible live. They say they will be touring again in 2015 so we all have our ears to the ground waiting for an announcement. I joined this board after the last tour but I'm guessing things will explode here once things are official.

Love these threads... :cheers: and welcome

Narp forgot to mention listening to All the World's a Stage. That'll keep you hooked for life.

grey already did so I let it go but I figured someone would say listen to ESL first. Disagree....
  • Like 1

Love these threads... :cheers: and welcome

Narp forgot to mention listening to All the World's a Stage. That'll keep you hooked for life.

grey already did so I let it go but I figured someone would say listen to ESL first. Disagree....

Listen to the debut... before the new guy came along and ruined Rush forever

• Like 1

Start with Presto, Grace Undef Pressure and Test For Echo followed by Hold Your Fire, Vapor Trails and Snakes n Arrows.

If you can stomach that lot then you'll be a Rush fanboy before you know it.

Edited by Tony R
  • Like 3