Quoting help

jamie

So I'm using a lyric from The Enemy Within as my senior quote. I don't know if I should quote the song and/or directly quote Neil. I guess technically he didn't say it, but it's a great quote to use and he came up with it. And to me it might look weird if it was: "It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance." - Rush: 'The Enemy Within' Edited by thegirlintherushshirt
  • Like 1

He wrote it, so I would give him the credit, not Rush as a group.

That makes sense, yeah. I didn't know if it might look weird if I just put his name, but then again I'm used to knowing it as the whole song...if that makes sense.

That makes sense, yeah. I didn't know if it might look weird if I just put his name, but then again I'm used to knowing it as the whole song...if that makes sense.

Believe it or not when I graduated back in 1978 there were at least 10 folks (me included) that used Rush lyrics in our yearbook. We just put our favorites with no "credit" as to who or where it came from but the ones that "knew" knew. If that makes any sense....
  • Like 2

It wouldn't look any weirder than putting anyone else's name on it.

Believe it or not when I graduated back in 1978 there were at least 10 folks (me included) that used Rush lyrics in our yearbook. We just put our favorites with no "credit" as to who or where it came from but the ones that "knew" knew. If that makes any sense....

10 people?! that's a record! :o

I think it's pretty kick a** that you are using a Rush/Neil quote for your senior one :). I'm graduating with my BA this coming spring and the class got to name a tree...I totally wanted to call it 'Geddy (Lee) tree'. Didn't happen, but totally still calling it that in my head...

Yeah I'm surprised at that too. Rush was still pretty unknown and kind of a cult band at my high school.

There was a decent amount of us even back then that loved Rush, UFO, Priest etc.... :)
  • Like 2

Nice quote. The first verse of that song more describes my high school days lol

So I'm using a lyric from The Enemy Within as my senior quote. I don't know if I should quote the song and/or directly quote Neil. I guess technically he didn't say it, but it's a great quote to use and he came up with it. And to me it might look weird if it was: "It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance." - Rush: 'The Enemy Within'

If you want to be "professional" about it, you could give the quote, and then give the person and year: (Neil Peart; 1984)

No need to include a bibliography at the end.....;)

Don't worry about it looking weird. Before they were lyrics to a song, they were words that Neil brought to life by putting pen to paper.

There was a decent amount of us even back then that loved Rush, UFO, Priest etc.... :)

Hell yeah!! :codger: :haz:

So I'm using a lyric from The Enemy Within as my senior quote. I don't know if I should quote the song and/or directly quote Neil. I guess technically he didn't say it, but it's a great quote to use and he came up with it. And to me it might look weird if it was: "It takes a little more persistence to get up and go the distance." - Rush: 'The Enemy Within'

I'd quote Neil as such...

Neil Peart (Rush)

...that way it pays tribute to Neil, the writer of the lyric, while paying tribute to one of your favourite bands.

However you decide, I think, a: it is a great quote and b: it is great that you've selected it out of all of the possible quotes available to you from Budgie, Zep or Rush.

Cheers to you,

RGLT

• Like 1