Has anyone here met Neil?

bri-tor

Yeah, but even tasteless offensive threads equating horrible Rush songs with infected bodily fluids are more entertaining than endless mindnumbing Gracie polls about the same handful of questionable 90's unlistenable "songs"...

You missed the best one. The greater than or lesser than thread, inserting these little symbols < > between the albums. I'm too old and befuddled for things like that. Not much in the brains department you know. ;)

Oh well. Some people enjoyed it. We can't just be reading what songs people are listening to throughout the day all the time.

Why not?

Well, there are much better things to do.

;)

• Like 1

Yeah, but even tasteless offensive threads equating horrible Rush songs with infected bodily fluids are more entertaining than endless mindnumbing Gracie polls about the same handful of questionable 90's unlistenable "songs"...

You missed the best one. The greater than or lesser than thread, inserting these little symbols < > between the albums. I'm too old and befuddled for things like that. Not much in the brains department you know. ;)

Oh well. Some people enjoyed it. We can't just be reading what songs people are listening to throughout the day all the time.

Why not?

Well, there are much better things to do.

;)

Because YYZumbi could

Why not?

Because Zumbi could keep that thread going all by himself for eternity.

Oh come on. Neil even stated in "Ghost Rider" that he didn't feel bad that he was never there for his first wife and kid. He barely gave them a second thought. Then, as now, he couldn't be bothered to hang around with them...he was always even then riding bicycles around the world when he wasn't bothered by the "guys at work." He seems to have as much disdain for his family as he does for his work co-horts. Hell, not that long ago I remember reading how Neil didn't find it strange one bit that he went on separate vacations away from his family and then they "visited" him while he was on vacation FROM them.

When you really love someone, you WANT to be with them...you think of them ALL the time...you SPEND TIME with them. Kinda like how Neil always did with BRUTUS, and NOT either of his wives. I wonder if Neil ever wrote as many love letters to his wives as he did to Brutus??? He was so far up Brutus' chute in those 100's of love letters that if maybe he spent 1/10th of the time he spent writing those letters with his wife when she needed him maybe she would have done a bit better...

I still say Neil and Brutus were pounding those trips. Hard.

Good to have you back :laughing guy:

You find that funny? Seriously? I just don't get why anyone would like the lame attempts at puerile humor.

• Like 1

Oh come on. Neil even stated in "Ghost Rider" that he didn't feel bad that he was never there for his first wife and kid. He barely gave them a second thought. Then, as now, he couldn't be bothered to hang around with them...he was always even then riding bicycles around the world when he wasn't bothered by the "guys at work." He seems to have as much disdain for his family as he does for his work co-horts. Hell, not that long ago I remember reading how Neil didn't find it strange one bit that he went on separate vacations away from his family and then they "visited" him while he was on vacation FROM them.

When you really love someone, you WANT to be with them...you think of them ALL the time...you SPEND TIME with them. Kinda like how Neil always did with BRUTUS, and NOT either of his wives. I wonder if Neil ever wrote as many love letters to his wives as he did to Brutus??? He was so far up Brutus' chute in those 100's of love letters that if maybe he spent 1/10th of the time he spent writing those letters with his wife when she needed him maybe she would have done a bit better...

You find that funny? Seriously? I just don't get why anyone would like the lame attempts at puerile humor.

Spaghetti makes everyone feel better about themselves because they're greatful that they're not him. He provides a worthwhile service free of charge.

• Like 1

It wasn't supposed to be funny, barnbloomer. I was serious.

• Like 1

Spaghetti makes everyone feel better about themselves because they're greatful that they're not him. He provides a worthwhile service free of charge.

I suppose that's true. I only see his posts if someone quotes them. :LOL:

• Like 1

I thik this thread is getting a little unpleasant and maybe time to be locked!

That's what usually happens when SL starts posting in one.

• Like 1

It's going to be a fun day. :)

Oh Lorraine. If you only knew.....

You know talking to yourself is the first sign of insanity. :LOL:

• Like 1

I saw him in the airport and went up to him and said, "I just want you to know that I am not like other fans who would just come up and bother you because they like your music and want to tell you how much you changed their lives, etc. I mean, I get it; I understand that you do not want to be approached and that you cannot relate to me just because I feel like I can relate to you, which I really feel like I can, because your lyrics and your drumming and your band changed my life. That's why I am letting you know this now, because I understand that you don't want to be bothered. Hold on, just do whatever you were doing while I take this selfie to prove that I once stood in a roughly definable geometric proximity to you. Just pretend like I'm not here, unless you want to look into the lense, which is also totally cool, but don't feel like you have to."

Afterwards I could tell that he appreciated how much I understood him.

• Like 1

I saw him in the airport and went up to him and said, "I just want you to know that I am not like other fans who would just come up and bother you because they like your music and want to tell you how much you changed their lives, etc. I mean, I get it; I understand that you do not want to be approached and that you cannot relate to me just because I feel like I can relate to you, which I really feel like I can, because your lyrics and your drumming and your band changed my life. That's why I am letting you know this now, because I understand that you don't want to be bothered. Hold on, just do whatever you were doing while I take this selfie to prove that I once stood in a roughly definable geometric proximity to you. Just pretend like I'm not here, unless you want to look into the lense, which is also totally cool, but don't feel like you have to."

Afterwards I could tell that he appreciated how much I understood him.

:D

Doesn't this all make you wonder, on some fundamental level, why people have the need to be acknowledged by "famous people"? By virtue of a chance encounter or a "connection" you are in a position to grasp another person's hand momentarily, to exchange a couple of pleasantries, or whatever. Why does it matter? Maybe, someone thinks, that little chance encounter will lead to a significant friendship. "I'll say something in just the right way, and Neil will give me his number and suggest we hang out. It'll be the start of a beautiful friendship."

I know, it's the little things, maybe. But "Neil Peart" has already given me enough (and taken enough of my money). I don't mind leaving the relationship at that. I'd hate to discover that he thinks I'm full of shit (although I already know I am), but it would be worse to find out that he is.

Edited by toymaker
  • Like 3

Doesn't this all make you wonder, on some fundamental level, why people have the need to be acknowledged by "famous people"? By virtue of a chance encounter or a "connection" you are in a position to grasp another person's hand momentarily, to exchange a couple of pleasantries, or whatever. Why does it matter? Maybe, someone thinks, that little chance encounter will lead to a significant friendship. "I'll say something in just right way, and Neil will give me his number and suggest we hang out. It'll be the start of a beautiful friendship."

I know, it's the little things, maybe. But "Neil Peart" has already given me enough (and taken enough of my money). I don't mind leaving the relationship at that. I'd hate to discover that he thinks I'm full of shit (although I already know I am), but it would be worse to find out that he is.

To me I think it would be the opportunity to make more "real" something that had only been in the mind, ears and emotions. There is just something about touching something that makes it more real. It's how humans are wired, I guess.

Doesn't this all make you wonder, on some fundamental level, why people have the need to be acknowledged by "famous people"? By virtue of a chance encounter or a "connection" you are in a position to grasp another person's hand momentarily, to exchange a couple of pleasantries, or whatever. Why does it matter? Maybe, someone thinks, that little chance encounter will lead to a significant friendship. "I'll say something in just right way, and Neil will give me his number and suggest we hang out. It'll be the start of a beautiful friendship."

To me I think it would be the opportunity to make more "real" something that had only been in the mind, ears and emotions. There is just something about touching something that makes it more real. It's how humans are wired, I guess.

Some people, yeah. Some people are all about the touching. Some people don't like to be touched (they say: "don't touch me!"). I was talking to my class about job interviews a couple of weeks ago, and I asked if anyone knew why we have this ritual of shaking hands (no one knew - I don't either, although I suppose a little google search would turn up something), and what you should do when people don't let go of your hand right away. The handshake, which is a customary thing, can quickly become uncomfortable and weird.

Maybe after being in a band for a few years, one might become a little weirded out by all the attention and touching. I kind of feel for poor old Neil sometimes - he's given himself some bad rap by not playing the "be cool to your fans" gig. But he is what he is; if it makes him uncomfortable, so be it. He's not the only one. And now he has to deal not only with the fact that it makes him uncomfortable but also with the fact that people are going to rake him over the coals for it. He's only a person. Musically, he is a giant, a freak of nature. But off the kit he is only a person. His stomach makes noises and he gets stuff in his teeth.

Which reminds me that I need to eat and floss.

• Like 2

I was talking to my class about job interviews a couple of weeks ago, and I asked if anyone knew why we have this ritual of shaking hands (no one knew - I don't either, although I suppose a little google search would turn up something)

In looking up the following stuff about handshakes I saw repeated references to the fact that handshaking spreads a lot of germs. So if in fact Neil did not want to shake hands with anyone (which I don't think is the case, other than what folks have projected upon him, but whatever) if could very well be because he needs to keep healthy during the tours. A few days of sickness could translate into missed shows and hundreds of thousands of dollars wasted.

The History of handshakes:

"There are many conflicting reports of the possible source of the common handshake gesture. Some say that it originated in medieval times with the etiquette of knights, others say it appeared later in the courts of British nobles in colonial times. Still others say it dates to the Romans who would approach each other and grab the forearm to make sure the other man was not carrying a weapon2. Most agree, however, that the handshake predates written history, and is therefore somewhat difficult to track down. The earliest records we have of the handshake are from the Egyptians:

"The Egyptian hieroglyphic of the extended hand represents the verb, ‘to give’.
This symbol finds its derivation in the shaking of hands which represented the legend of the handing over of power from a god to an early [earthly?] ruler
. Hence the Babylonian ritual (circa 1800BC) in which the king clasped the hand of a statue [the god Marduk] during the New Year’s festival so that his authority was transferred to the next year. When Babylon fell to the Assyrians hands kept right on shaking, with the new kings carrying on the ancient ritual for fear of offending the gods."

---

"The first documented handshake in human history appears on the monument of Kalhu, showing the Assyrian king Shalmaneser III and Marduk-zakir-šumi I of Babylon shaking hands in a public display of Assyro-Babylonian friendship. Archaeological ruins and ancient texts show that handshaking was practiced in ancient Greece as far back as the 5th century BC; a depiction of two soldiers shaking hands can be found on part of a 5th-century BC funerary stele on display in the Pergamon Museum, Berlin (stele SK1708) and other funerary steles like the one of the 4th century BC which depicts Thraseas and his wife Euandria handshaking (see images on the right). The handshake is thought by some to have originated as a gesture of peace by demonstrating that the hand holds no weapon."

---

"During the medieval times, when many of the men were covered in armor, the handshake was a manner of greeting used to show friendship. If one male extended an open hand to another this was understood to mean an extension of friendship and the gesture would be returned. Of course the alternative would be a hand extended with an accompanying dagger or sword. Suffice it to say the handshake was a way to determine whether one was friend or foe."

• Like 2