Closer to the Heart vs Tom Sawyer

savagegrace26

Closer to the Heart vs Tom Sawyer  

49 members have voted

1. 1. Closer to the Heart vs Tom Sawyer

Jeez Louise. Another poll?

we're just really bored.

and by we i mean savagegrace and len.

No, I'm not bored. I have too much bullshit going on to be bored. I'm trying to discredit Zumbi's ludicrous statement that Closer to the Heart is "MUCH" better than Tom Sawyer.

Well, I think Tom Sawyer might be able to hold his own in a fight against the philosopher or the artist...but I reckon the ploughman and the blacksmith are probably both quite strong, so Tom wouldn't stand much of a chance in a brawl against them, no matter how mean his stride is.
  • Like 11

Well, I think Tom Sawyer might be able to hold his own in a fight against the philosopher or the artist...but I reckon the ploughman and the blacksmith are probably both quite strong, so Tom wouldn't stand much of a chance in a brawl against them, no matter how mean his stride is.

Good answer. :)

• Like 1

Inspired by...someone...

You are such a idiot...

Serious grow up...

Zumbi, I don't mean to be patronizing, but sometimes you need to accept that other forum members are going to make fun of you. I've tried to tone it down lately since you don't seem to like it very much but not everyone is going to do that and if you tell them to "grow up" every time it'll just cause more teasing. My advice is: if you see a thread or a post making fun of you, just ignore it. It's not worth your time or effort.

To me this is an absolute no brained. While CTTH may emotionally resonate with people, the construction of Tom Sawyer, and what it represents in Rush's development, make this an essential song. The sheer creativeness of the bass line, the drum solos, the structure, all represent an apex in Rush's songwriting. Closer to the heart is just filler, by comparison
  • Like 1

To me this is an absolute no brained. While CTTH may emotionally resonate with people, the construction of Tom Sawyer, and what it represents in Rush's development, make this an essential song. The sheer creativeness of the bass line, the drum solos, the structure, all represent an apex in Rush's songwriting. Closer to the heart is just filler, by comparison

Hmmm. I disagree. Structurally I dig Closer more. Tom Sawyer was written mainly around two ideas.

One, they found the "growl" on the keys and decided they had to write a song around it because it was too cool not to. (I agree)

Two, when Geddy used to warm up his fingers on his keys he used to play that Moog riff. It uses all 5 fingers and loosens you up. Neil heard it, loved it and said he should use it.

While it makes for a cool bassline, it was written on keys.

It's a great song, don't get me wrong... but not their best structural song IMO. It's powerful and cool. That's enough.

• Like 4