No Tom Sawyer on the A Show Of Hands CD

YYZumbi

I was just thinking about something today, that I haven't thought about before...

I was listening to the A Show Of Hands CD today, and notice, there is no Tom Sawyer on it!

That makes me so damn happy! Unless they are gonna put out the whole concert on CD/Vinyl, then don't waste the space on Tom Sawyer!

A song that have been played so many times, and is on every live album (except for A Show Of Hands!), and every Rush-greatest hits-album.

• Like 1

I was just thinking about something today, that I haven't thought about before...

I was listening to the A Show Of Hands CD today, and notice, there is no Tom Sawyer on it!

That makes me so damn happy! Unless they are gonna put out the whole concert on CD/Vinyl, then don't waste the space on Tom Sawyer!

A song that have been played so many times, and is on every live album (except for A Show Of Hands!), and every Rush-greatest hits-album.

It's not on All the World's a Stage.

• Like 4

Well ofcourse not, it wasn't made yet...

But you said every live album...

A Show of Hands has Closer to the Heart. That's a far worse offender than Tom Sawyer...at least TS has the most popular song "prestige" tied to it. They unnecessarily threw Closer to the Heart on way too many releases.

• Like 2

A Show of Hands has Closer to the Heart. That's a far worse offender than Tom Sawyer...at least TS has the most popular song "prestige" tied to it. They unnecessarily threw Closer to the Heart on way too many releases.

Closer To The Heart is MUCH better then Tom Sawyer!

Now I really wish Tom Sawyer was on A Show of Hands.

You know what? As enthusiastic as you are about every one of Rush's shitty songs, your sure don't seem like a Rush fan when you are gleeful that Tom Sawyer isn't on one live album. And if Tom Sawyer had been on that album, you never would have bitched about it being included.

• Like 1

Now I really wish Tom Sawyer was on A Show of Hands.

You know what? As enthusiastic as you are about every one of Rush's shitty songs, your sure don't seem like a Rush fan when you are gleeful that Tom Sawyer isn't on one live album. And if Tom Sawyer had been on that album, you never would have bitched about it being included.

K

Closer To The Heart is MUCH better then Tom Sawyer!

I hugely hugely disagree. I'm sure most others would as well.

• Like 2

Chuck Norris's version of ATWAS has Tom Sawyer on it.

• Like 1

It´s so refreshing to have releases which do NOT include the following:

Tom Sawyer

Closer to the Heart

Spirit of Radio

Speed of Love

Tai Shan

ok, those last two I just put on there because they should be officially musica non grata ;)

• Like 2

There are likely two reasons TS (along with 2112 and LVS among others that were played on the HYF tour, where most of those recordings came from) was left off ASOH. One is the probably reality of the cost of CDs at the time. Although the LP version of ASOH was a two disc set, the CD version was a single disc (I assume for cost reasons as a double CD at that time was ridiculously expensive). As a result, decisions had to be made about what to include and exclude. The other is it appears the band wanted to highlight their more recent material on that live album, so the bulk of the material (10 of 15 songs) on that release came from p/g, PW, and HYF.

A lot of folks criticize ASOH for being so polished (which it is). Still others dislike the album because it did so clearly focus on the synth era material (which it did). Rolling Stone, of course, trashed it simply because it was Rush.

Regardless, I think it is a solid documentation of where the band was at that time and still listen to it fairly often.

• Like 2

Tom Sawyer is my second least favourite song off of Moving Pictures.

But then again, Moving Pictures contains seven of my favourite songs!

Think about it.

• Like 1

I can still get into Tom Sawyer when I hear it. It's been ages since I've heard Closer to the Heart and it still feels worn out.

Imagine how they must feel playing it in concert.

I can still get into Tom Sawyer when I hear it. It's been ages since I've heard Closer to the Heart and it still feels worn out.

Imagine how they must feel playing it in concert.

I wonder the same thing.

I don't know. It doesn't seem like Neil has time to get "bored" while playing it:

During the Grace Under Pressure tour, back in 1984, I heard you say on a radio interview that “’Tom Sawyer’ will always be the hardest song for me to play.” Twenty-five years later, is it still the hardest song for you to play?

Gary Boothe

Keller, Texas

Rush fan since 1976

Yes, there’s no making that song easier to play – it still takes everything I’ve got. To get the right sound and feel, a drum part like “Tom Sawyer” requires full-force, blunt-object pounding with hands and feet, but there’s also a demanding level of technique, smoothness, and concentration.

Playing “Tom Sawyer” properly – or as close as I can get on a given night – requires full mental, technical, and physical commitment, and I can’t imagine there would be any way to make that kind of output easier. And if you ask me, it shouldn’t be. If it wasn’t hard, it wouldn’t be satisfying to get it right!

http://www.drummagazine.com/features/post/thus-spoke-neil/P3/

Who said they were bored playing the song?

It was implied, unless everyone was just referring to Closer to the Heart.

That's not how I read it at all. And that's not what I was implying.

You followed up to this...what else could be implied?

"and it still feels worn out"

Edited by savagegrace26