RS: Rush to Release Massive R40 Live Box Set

ThatLightInYourEyes

Say what you want, but this is definitely a complete cash grab. Basically forcing fans to buy all those live releases AGAIN, just to get this rare bonus stuff. And I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Also...

"The three of us just had a meeting," guitarist Alex Lifeson told Rolling Stone in March. "We said, 'Let's not talk about anything band-wise for the next year. Let's separate ourselves and come back rejuvenated.' Unfortunately, the other people at that meeting didn't hear what we were talking about, so there are already plans being made for spring of 2015. It's going to be a 41st anniversary tour, or whatever they're going to call it."

Are they actually implying that their label guys decide whether they tour or not? I hope it's just their weird sense of humour again...

Not forcing me. Everyone enjoy.... :)

I'm with you. How is this different from any other box set, compilation, etc. that has ever been released? We must remember that not everyone goes out and buys every single Rush item the second it goes on sale. For the more casual fan (those willing to to fork over $100 or so) that doesn't have everything the band ever put out - this would be a nice purchase.

I, myself, have most of this, but not on blu-ray. So I'm contemplating asking Santa....

Clem.

That's my main reason too. I have no Rush on blueray yet

I bought Time Machine on Blu-ray. What a waste of format.

What?! Really? Why?

Because the editing sucks. It's enough to give an epileptic a seizure.

Oh ok ya I kind of agree, I misread you. Took it to mean blue ray format is bad. I'm ok now lol

• Like 1

Say what you want, but this is definitely a complete cash grab. Basically forcing fans to buy all those live releases AGAIN, just to get this rare bonus stuff. And I'm sure it won't be cheap.

Also...

"The three of us just had a meeting," guitarist Alex Lifeson told Rolling Stone in March. "We said, 'Let's not talk about anything band-wise for the next year. Let's separate ourselves and come back rejuvenated.' Unfortunately, the other people at that meeting didn't hear what we were talking about, so there are already plans being made for spring of 2015. It's going to be a 41st anniversary tour, or whatever they're going to call it."

Are they actually implying that their label guys decide whether they tour or not? I hope it's just their weird sense of humour again...

I'm with you. How is this different from any other box set, compilation, etc. that has ever been released? We must remember that not everyone goes out and buys every single Rush item the second it goes on sale. For the more casual fan (those willing to to fork over $100 or so) that doesn't have everything the band ever put out - this would be a nice purchase.

I, myself, have most of this, but not on blu-ray. So I'm contemplating asking Santa....

Clem.

I don't even have a player...... :codger:

Call me the techo nerd... I don't have anything but Blu Ray players anymore. That said, I do still have a turntable and.... you won't believe this... a reel to reel. Audio... I love the high def of digital recordings, but still have a great appreciation for vinyl. Video... give me 1080p 240 mHz or give me... well, not death, that would be a little over the top... so, okay, I will live with 120 mHz on the second TV.

Edited by WorkingAllTheTime

Also...

Clem.

I don't even have a player...... :codger:

Call me the techo nerd... I don't have anything but Blu Ray players anymore. That said, I do still have a turntable and.... you won't believe this... a reel to reel. Audio... I love the high def of digital recordings, but still have a great appreciation for vinyl. Video... give me 1080p 240 mHz or give me... well, not death, that would be a little over the top... so, okay, I will live with 120 mHz on the second TV.

Oh, I still have my original turntable and reciever from 1977... :cheers:
  • Like 1

I used to care about Rush live releases up to Rush In Rio. After that they started releasing them far too often for them to feel "special" anymore.

Every live release before RIR was a summation of an era and a signal that they were going to shift into a new musical direction. They represented something signifigant.

Now they're just live releases...

I feel the opposite way. I wish that they had released a full concert DVD/CD for every tour, and not just the "greatest hits" from an era. So many live songs that aren't available in high quality were left on the cutting room floor.

I see that and agree with it to an extent. A release from every tour would be nice (even retroactively) but again when flooded with these releases it just doesn't feel as special as it once did.

Yeah, I can see that. When you do something four times as often as you used to, it doesn't feel as special. What really kills me is even when they did it once every four years, they still didn't give us the entire concerts.

Will never forget when the ESL VHS did NOT include the drum solo. I almost threw a chair at the TV. Bah humbug!

• Like 3

I used to care about Rush live releases up to Rush In Rio. After that they started releasing them far too often for them to feel "special" anymore.

Every live release before RIR was a summation of an era and a signal that they were going to shift into a new musical direction. They represented something signifigant.

Now they're just live releases...

I feel the opposite way. I wish that they had released a full concert DVD/CD for every tour, and not just the "greatest hits" from an era. So many live songs that aren't available in high quality were left on the cutting room floor.

I see that and agree with it to an extent. A release from every tour would be nice (even retroactively) but again when flooded with these releases it just doesn't feel as special as it once did.

Yeah, I can see that. When you do something four times as often as you used to, it doesn't feel as special. What really kills me is even when they did it once every four years, they still didn't give us the entire concerts.

Will never forget when the ESL VHS did NOT include the drum solo. I almost threw a chair at the TV. Bah humbug!

Wow you just brought back some memories with that comment! I remember that VERY well!

Also...

Clem.

What?! Really? Why?

Worst vocals ever. Unlistenable on many songs.

Also...

Clem.

What?! Really? Why?

I don't think it's that bad even with the cold he had. I think he sounds worse on the CA release. One thing is for sure, they can't seem to catch good nights (and there definitely are some) on their official recordings anymore, which is a shame.

• Like 2

Yes, the CA dvd was really bad vocals to the point of embarrassing

But at least that was listenable. I can't even play Presto or The Camera Eye from the Time Machine Tour, which is such a shame because those were two songs I really wanted live versions of. The boot has much better vocals, but the quality just isn't there. I just don't understand why, when they acknowledge the record multiple nights, they let the accompanying CD be the same as the DVD when they knew how shitty it was.

The guys messed up in Presto and they fixed it with music from another night. I wish they had just used the entire version of whatever other night that was. The vocals had to be better then.

• Like 2

Bah...Blu-Ray. As I recall, Rio and R30 weren't recorded with good enough cameras for an HD release. To top it off it becomes a pain to rip the audio because so few people have access to a blu ray player on PC.

I already have Rio and Time Machine so I'm going to pass...but I would love to get my hands on that bonus disc for Lock and Key and the video of 2112.

Rio (aside from a couple angles) and R30 were shot with HD cameras and R30 has already been released on Blu-ray.

has this been released on Bluray?????????? Rio??

Bah...Blu-Ray. As I recall, Rio and R30 weren't recorded with good enough cameras for an HD release. To top it off it becomes a pain to rip the audio because so few people have access to a blu ray player on PC.

I already have Rio and Time Machine so I'm going to pass...but I would love to get my hands on that bonus disc for Lock and Key and the video of 2112.

Rio (aside from a couple angles) and R30 were shot with HD cameras and R30 has already been released on Blu-ray.

has this been released on Bluray?????????? Rio??

R30 is already on bluray...Rio is not.

Also...

Clem.

What?! Really? Why?

I don't think it's that bad even with the cold he had. I think he sounds worse on the CA release. One thing is for sure, they can't seem to catch good nights (and there definitely are some) on their official recordings anymore, which is a shame.

yea they need to film earlier in the tour. They film at or near the end of tours when his voice is all but shot to ribbons it's quite annoying.

Mick

• Like 2

Also...

Clem.

What?! Really? Why?

yea they need to film earlier in the tour. They film at or near the end of tours when his voice is all but shot to ribbons it's quite annoying.

Mick

For the DVDs, I don't mind as much. But there's no excuse for not using the best audio they have, especially as they admit they record a lot of shows.

Also...

Clem.

What?! Really? Why?

Mick

For the DVDs, I don't mind as much. But there's no excuse for not using the best audio they have, especially as they admit they record a lot of shows.

I personally have not heard a good live audio since the shiny ESL. I am sure I will be corrected and there are plenty.... :codger:

While we're all bantering about whether or not to purchase this, I thought I'd also point out that the original R30 DVD did NOT include the whole show, whereas the blue-ray DID. So if, like me, you didn't have blu-ray ten years ago but do have a player now, this could be one more checked box in the "Pro" side of your list as to whether or not to purchase.

Yes, yes, I know several of you are aware of this, but I'll but there are several others that are not.

I'm leaning towards making the purchase. Even at a $100, it's still cheaper than an actual concert (assuming you're paying for a good seat, parking, taking your wife who really doesn't want to go, etc.)

Clem

Yes, the r30 blu-ray is excellent, it has a sharper picture and is the complete show. I also think its the better of the last 5 live shows they put out in terms of quality and performance. Geddy sounds very good on r30. Plus no 2 seconds camera shots and goofy audience shots..
  • Like 2

I'am hoping for at least one clip soon from the 97 show.. Can't believe they sat on this for 17 years without relelasing it somehow.. Iam sure its better than the last 3 live shows they released on dvd.. Plus the band to me, looked and performed their best during this show.. Edited by nicky6

Yes, the r30 blu-ray is excellent, it has a sharper picture and is the complete show. I also think its the better of the last 5 live shows they put out in terms of quality and performance. Geddy sounds very good on r30. Plus no 2 seconds camera shots and goofy audience shots..

Of course, the audience looked like they were asleep the whole show, so....

• Like 1

On the plus side at least you don't have shots from between someone's arms like they did on CA.

• Like 1

On the plus side at least you don't have shots from between someone's arms like they did on CA.

Thank God.......if/when they do an r40 video. New production team.....someone who know's what they're doing I mean i'm still angry they screwed over one of my fav tour. CA tour deserved better.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Thank God.......if/when they do an r40 video. New production team.....someone who know's what they're doing I mean i'm still angry they screwed over one of my fav tour. CA tour deserved better.

Mick

Yeah me too. I really looked forward to to the DVD release and was so disappointed at how crappy it was. They could do so much better, and have.