Rush 70s VS Queen 70S

YYZumbi

48 members have voted

1. 1. Rush 70s VS Queen 70s

Both Rush and Queen was awesome during the 70s, they both made prog rock, even thou it was very different to each other.

So what band do you think made it best during the 70s? Both on studio albums and on stage.

I don't really like Queen, but occasionally I find myself enjoying their greatest hits box set when I am in the mood.

I know I am in the minority, but I have never particularly liked or admired Freddie Mercury's voice or stage performances. I respect his talent and influence, and the best of Queen is faultless and inspiring even to these ears, but they are not really a band that has ever had an impact on my life.

This is in spite of that thread ReGorLaTroy started with the intention of converting me!

But yeah, I just have never felt that Queen live up to the hype. But those who hear their greatness are many, and I respect that.

• Like 3

Can't choose between them. Or more accurately, I can't bring myself to vote against either of them.

I love them both for different reasons.

• Like 5

Love rush but 70's Queen get's the nod. Queen, Queen II, Sheer Heart Attack, Night at the Opera, Day at the Races, News of the World........all winners in my book.

70's Rush......little spotty......The Debut, Fly by Night, AFTK, Some songs on 2112........definitely don't hold up to the 70's Queen run.

Now 80's is a different ballgame, lol

Both great live But Queen wins just for Freddie. ELECTRIC performer.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000
  • Like 2

Prophet's Song is AWESOME on Headphones. I adore Rush. but i really do think Queen has it over them big time in the 70's.

Mick

their first 8 albums are brilliant no doubt.

• Like 4

This is a tough one. Very close but Rush gets the nod due to Hemispheres, AFTK's and PeW. Queen were awesome though, one of my favorite bands ever.
  • Like 1

I don't really like Queen, but occasionally I find myself enjoying their greatest hits box set when I am in the mood.

I know I am in the minority, but I have never particularly liked or admired Freddie Mercury's voice or stage performances. I respect his talent and influence, and the best of Queen is faultless and inspiring even to these ears, but they are not really a band that has ever had an impact on my life.

This is in spite of that thread ReGorLaTroy started with the intention of converting me!

But yeah, I just have never felt that Queen live up to the hype. But those who hear their greatness are many, and I respect that.

Completely agree. Strictly a greatest hits band for me, and even then I'll skip a lot of tracks.

• Like 2

Queen had a much better range of material, and Live Killers is one of my favorite albums ever. Queen's 70's catalog stacks up better, I suppose.

But I'd vote for RUSH in that I can listen to their 70's stuff just about endlessly.

• Like 2

Completely agree. Strictly a greatest hits band for me, and even then I'll skip a lot of tracks.

I don't know. While I guess you could argue that they were a "greatest hits" band in the 80s, in the 70s they were very much an album band, and their hits worked much better in the context of the album as a whole (IMO)
  • Like 2

Both Rush and Queen was awesome during the 70s, they both made prog rock, even thou it was very different to each other.

So what band do you think made it best during the 70s? Both on studio albums and on stage.

That's crazy Zum, a few days ago I was thinking about these two bands and I found myself drawing comparisons between them. Like the fact that they both have under-rated guitarists, they both started metal and then kinda mellowed out, Ged "sings like a girl" and Freddy likes men lol nice thread!

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

I don't know. While I guess you could argue that they were a "greatest hits" band in the 80s, in the 70s they were very much an album band, and their hits worked much better in the context of the album as a whole (IMO)

I agree. 70's Queen was very album oriented. The first 6 albums were cohesive pieces. and each outstanding i might add. 80's was watered down single era queen to me.

Mick

• Like 2

I think Queen had a more original sound right from the beginning , whereas Rush took a bit to find theirs. If we are talking strictly 70s, Queen edges them out in that regard. But Rush continued to grow and develop.
  • Like 2