Bluefox4000's Lyle Lovett review thread

Tombstone Mountain

On the final 2 tracks and it may be early honeymoon love but......best 57 minutes of music in a long time. He just goes from 1 style to the next so your never bored. If you know me i always say don't go close to an hour unless you can pull it off. he did in spades. There's a confidence to his writing...like......here it is and It's good.......i'm Lyle, lol

Mick

• Like 1

I researched Lyle Lovett again, he did sing You Got A Friend In Me!

Awesome!

Will check him out ASAP.

• Like 2

Fu**!!,

I wanted to see him. I forgot the date and it's this Saturday. I didn't put in for the time off. :facepalm: I can only hope some one at work will change days with me. :smash:

Good luck! I saw him some years ago when he opened for Sting. I didn't really know his music then but I sat through his set and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

• Like 2

Responsible for my favorite relationship quote: "For a relationship to work, you don't have to love the same things, you have to hate the same things."
  • Like 1

Fu**!!,

I wanted to see him. I forgot the date and it's this Saturday. I didn't put in for the time off. :facepalm: I can only hope some one at work will change days with me. :smash:

Good luck! I saw him some years ago when he opened for Sting. I didn't really know his music then but I sat through his set and thoroughly enjoyed myself.

Did he have the Large band? Horns, the backup singers?

Fu**!!,

Did he have the Large band? Horns, the backup singers?

Yeah I think so.

I've Listened to Pontiac now about 3 times. It being a shorter record.

It's funny the first 5 tracks are very Country and i laughed to myself because teenage to mid 20's Mick would have said......what the hell is this bullshit? I love country now and Songs like I loved you Yesterday and Especially Walk Through the Bottomland are simple and gorgeous. Simple melodies are sometimes all you need. Lyle knows how to use his voice too.

then there's She's no lady........smooth and actually funny. Little humor creeping in.

M-O-N-E-Y is just a down groove. I dug it.

Simple song is just that......simple.....haunting.

So yea great record.

Mick

• Like 1

I've Listened to Pontiac now about 3 times. It being a shorter record.

It's funny the first 5 tracks are very Country and i laughed to myself because teenage to mid 20's Mick would have said......what the hell is this bullshit? I love country now and Songs like I loved you Yesterday and Especially Walk Through the Bottomland are simple and gorgeous. Simple melodies are sometimes all you need. Lyle knows how to use his voice too.

then there's She's no lady........smooth and actually funny. Little humor creeping in.

M-O-N-E-Y is just a down groove. I dug it.

Simple song is just that......simple.....haunting.

So yea great record.

Mick

Read the lyrics to Pontiac...rips yer clutch out

Funny you mention Road.......i'm almost done but i'm gonna need more then one spin.

But i will tell you the stand out track on spin 1.........Christmas Morning. Man I got misty eyed. It's very hard for music to choke me up.......as much as i adore it. Tom is the only artist to do it........Lyle's done it now also.

Mick

• Like 1

Funny you mention Road.......i'm almost done but i'm gonna need more then one spin.

But i will tell you the stand out track on spin 1.........Christmas Morning. Man I got misty eyed. It's very hard for music to choke me up.......as much as i adore it. Tom is the only artist to do it........Lyle's done it now also.

Mick

Her first mistake—what genre would you put that? Hard for me to pin down

Mick

Samba......Ballroom dance? Wonder where THAT came from. it was like out of the blue, lol.

Mick

• Like 1

Mick

Samba......Ballroom dance? Wonder where THAT came from. it was like out of the blue, lol.

Mick

A great story too. I think you're ready for Step inside this house dude.

awwwww I've got me a new Lyle Lovett buddy

• Like 1

yeah, lyle is awesome. pretty sure we have all of his releases. saw him twice at red rocks in the 90's with his large band.

first time was on the night of jerry garcias death and he played friend of the devil in the fat mans honor. he recorded that song for the compilation disc deadicated.

second time was in the soundboard section via special hookup. lyle had sam bush touring with him and when bush sang the harmonies for LA county was infuckingcredible.

if i had a boat, money, shes no lady, an aqcceptable level of ectasy, penguins etc etc :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

• Like 1

yeah, lyle is awesome. pretty sure we have all of his releases. saw him twice at red rocks in the 90's with his large band.

first time was on the night of jerry garcias death and he played friend of the devil in the fat mans honor. he recorded that song for the compilation disc deadicated.

second time was in the soundboard section via special hookup. lyle had sam bush touring with him and when bush sang the harmonies for LA county was infuckingcredible.

if i had a boat, money, shes no lady, an aqcceptable level of ectasy, penguins etc etc :haz: :haz: :haz: :haz:

Great story there. Lyle always has great players with him. Check out his documentary on the making of "It's not big, it's large" album. He just shows up in studio with songs, gets the pickers in one room, singers in another and just grinds it out. Fascinating to see

Loved what I heard today. Found a live version of Churches and was bowled over. Will look into him soon.
  • Like 1

All this talk about his music is making me want to download some new stuff. I already have Pontiac, any suggestions for the next one to start with?
  • Like 1

All this talk about his music is making me want to download some new stuff. I already have Pontiac, any suggestions for the next one to start with?

Essential Lyle:

Joshua Judges Ruth

The Road to Ensenada—his album of mourning over Julia. Awesome

Step inside this House

• Like 1