Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

For me it's top 5 (tied with VT for 5th)... Emotion Detector is the only weak spot for me.

I think it may be a top five for me as well, although I like HYF just a tad more than this!

HYF is 10th for me, for... obvious reasons ;), but I love the first 8. I just can't get into the last 2...

HYF is a straight 10/10.

Third place is likely to be Moving Pictures, with my least favourite song (Vital Signs) an 8/10.

WHAT???????? How come you don't like Vital Signs??? I would trade many a song on each tour to hear that one, I think it's a very creative song from the band, in terms of the groove and the structure. Plus the buildup at the end is just massive!

I love Vital Signs! How is an 8/10 a poor rating? I just don't think it matches up to my absolute favourite Rush songs, or even the majority of the similar sounding songs off of Signals. But seriously, you think an 8/10 is a bad score?

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

For me it's top 5 (tied with VT for 5th)... Emotion Detector is the only weak spot for me.

I think it may be a top five for me as well, although I like HYF just a tad more than this!

HYF is 10th for me, for... obvious reasons ;), but I love the first 8. I just can't get into the last 2...

HYF is a straight 10/10.

Third place is likely to be Moving Pictures, with my least favourite song (Vital Signs) an 8/10.

WHAT???????? How come you don't like Vital Signs??? I would trade many a song on each tour to hear that one, I think it's a very creative song from the band, in terms of the groove and the structure. Plus the buildup at the end is just massive!

I love Vital Signs! How is an 8/10 a poor rating? I just don't think it matches up to my absolute favourite Rush songs, or even the majority of the similar sounding songs off of Signals. But seriously, you think an 8/10 is a bad score?

IMO VS is better than:

•Analog Kid

•Chemistry

•New World Man

•Countdown

On Signals alone. Which is no insult to those songs, but rather illustrates how great Vital Signs is IMO.

The Big Money - 7

Grand Designs - 8

Manhattan Project - 10

Marathon - 10

Territories - 3

Middletown Dreams - 5

Emotion Detector - 6

Mystic Rhythms - 5

The album that confirmed the downward slide.

One thing I notice is that people tend to rate Middletown Dreams lower then the rest. Which is disappointing for me because it's not only my favorite from PoW, but one of my overall favorite Rush songs...

Lyrics are good. The song isn't. I noticed that people fell asleep when this was played live last tour. But at least they didn't self immolate as they did during Territories.

Edited by LedRush

Big Money: 8

Grand Designs: 7

Manhattan Project: 7

Marathon: 8

Territories: 9

Middletown Dreams: 10

Emotion Detector: 6

Mystic Rhythms: 6

Yes! Finally another Middletown Dreams lover! :D

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Middletown Dreams, it is my favourite song on the album (along with Mystic Rhythms). But while I have a strong emotional connection to the song, in terms of songwriting, it's not exactly a big step forward for the band, hence why I gave it only an 8. If I was voting simply for songs that I like, it would have been a 10. But I'm trying to rate the songs in terms of composition.

• Like 1

Big Money: 8

Grand Designs: 7

Manhattan Project: 7

Marathon: 8

Territories: 9

Middletown Dreams: 10

Emotion Detector: 6

Mystic Rhythms: 6

Yes! Finally another Middletown Dreams lover! :D

Don't get me wrong, I LOVE Middletown Dreams, it is my favourite song on the album (along with Mystic Rhythms). But while I have a strong emotional connection to the song, in terms of songwriting, it's not exactly a big step forward for the band, hence why I gave it only an 8. If I was voting simply for songs that I like, it would have been a 10. But I'm trying to rate the songs in terms of composition.

Ah. OK, that makes sense; based on composition alone I would also give it an 8. I guess we interpreted the poll differently...

• Like 1

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

HYF is a straight 10/10.

IMO VS is better than:

•Analog Kid

•Chemistry

•New World Man

•Countdown

On Signals alone. Which is no insult to those songs, but rather illustrates how great Vital Signs is IMO.

Aww well, for me anyway, its a great song which just so happens to be on an album of even greater songs!

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

HYF is a straight 10/10.

IMO VS is better than:

•Analog Kid

•Chemistry

•New World Man

•Countdown

Aww well, for me anyway, its a great song which just so happens to be on an album of even greater songs!

IMO Vital Signs is better than:

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

HYF is a straight 10/10.

IMO VS is better than:

•Analog Kid

•Chemistry

•New World Man

•Countdown

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

We are gonna have to agree to disagree...

I am not a massive dan of reggae/The Police style new wavey stuff...first time I played MP I would just skip it every timem

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

HYF is a straight 10/10.

IMO VS is better than:

•Analog Kid

•Chemistry

•New World Man

•Countdown

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

I am not a massive dan of reggae/The Police style new wavey stuff...first time I played MP I would just skip it every timem

I don't have to "agree" to anything. Your opinion doesn't affect me. ;)

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 10

Manhattan Project- 8

Marathon- 10+

Territories- 8

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 8

Mystic Rhythms- 9

I love this album a lot!

HYF is a straight 10/10.

IMO VS is better than:

•Analog Kid

•Chemistry

•New World Man

•Countdown

Tom Sawyer

YYZ

Limelight

The Camera Eye

Witch Hunt

I don't have to "agree" to anything. Your opinion doesn't affect me. ;)

I know was just trying to be tactful buddy bud bud!

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 6

Manhattan Project- 7

Marathon- 9

Territories- 9

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 9

Mystic Rhythms- 10

Had to revise my Territories rating. It deserves more.

Territories is a cool song and deserves the disco ball treatment also..... :)
  • Like 1

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 6

Manhattan Project- 7

Marathon- 9

Territories- 9

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 9

Mystic Rhythms- 10

Oh, that it does, Narps. I was thinking the same thing. The song has quite the toe-tapping beat to it. This bootleg I am listening to it sounds especially good. Better than the album version.

We'll add Territories to our Rush disco ball list. :)

• Like 1

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 6

Manhattan Project- 7

Marathon- 9

Territories- 9

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 9

Mystic Rhythms- 10

Oh, that it does, Narps. I was thinking the same thing. The song has quite the toe-tapping beat to it. This bootleg I am listening to it sounds especially good. Better than the album version.

Being the incredibly non musician person that I am I am not sure what that beat is but it is present in that song as well. I heard it last week on Pandora during a walk and it put an extra pep in my step for sure. I might have even made a few Travolta moves when no one was looking.... :ph34r: :)
  • Like 1

The Big Money- 8

Grand Designs- 6

Manhattan Project- 7

Marathon- 9

Territories- 9

Middletown Dreams- 8

Emotion Detector- 9

Mystic Rhythms- 10

Being the incredibly non musician person that I am I am not sure what that beat is but it is present in that song as well. I heard it last week on Pandora during a walk and it put an extra pep in my step for sure. I might have even made a few Travolta moves when no one was looking.... :ph34r: :)

I think Red Lenses has it too... at least in the keyboard break...

Maybe one of our resident musicians can tell us more about the song and the beat.

I think it has something to do with syncopation but I may have just heard that term on Jeopardy one night.... :D
  • Like 1

Territories does have the disco beat :). If I'm not mistaken a guest musician was called in to play the bongos on the first verse; Neil still has some good moments in that song though. Sounds overall to me like an updated (better) version of Red Lenses without the throwaway lyrics.
  • Like 1

Maybe one of our resident musicians can tell us more about the song and the beat.

It's in 4/4 time, which is the typical rock beat. (and very common) Rush tends to play in different time signatures a lot, so it sounds unusual when they play 4/4. And yes disco tends to be in 4/4 as well.

• Like 2