Boy Petitions for Cat Photo

lerxt1990

http://da631356d998f8c4bdf3-7639bdb9a361297005a50118efe9e40e.r46.cf3.rackcdn.com/518414028-High-School-Senior-Petitions-for-Cat-and-Lasers.jpg

Upstate NY student petitions high school to put laser-cat photo in yearbook

An Upstate New York high school student wants his classmates to remember him as someone who loves cats. And lasers.

Schenectady High School senior Draven Rodriguez has started a petition to get his unusual photo featured in the yearbook as his senior portrait. "I'm hoping that with enough signatures, my school simply can't turn this down," he writes.

The picture shows Rodriguez wearing a suit, cuddling with a fluffy cat in front of an '80s style laser background. He says Vincent Giordano took and edited the picture, and gave permission to use it.

CBS 6 in Albany reports the school gave Rodriguez permission to put the "cat-tastic" image in the yearbook, but not as his senior portrait.

"To clarify, the school HAS NOT YET DECLINED this photo," Rodriguez wrote on his petition. "This is my pre-emptive strike just in case such a thing were to happen. I wanted as many backers as possible before the deadline of September 15th."

As of Thursday morning, more than 650 people signed the petition, surpassing his original goal of 500. He's also gained support from a Jezebel writer who calls Rodriguez an "American hero," inviting readers to join the cause.

"As a former teen who had a cat feature prominently in one of her senior portraits, I could not be any more pro-this," Jezebel News Editor Erin Gloria Ryan writes. "Let's make this happen."

http://da631356d998f8c4bdf3-7639bdb9a361297005a50118efe9e40e.r46.cf3.rackcdn.com/518414028-High-School-Senior-Petitions-for-Cat-and-Lasers.jpg

Upstate NY student petitions high school to put laser-cat photo in yearbook

An Upstate New York high school student wants his classmates to remember him as someone who loves cats. And lasers.

Schenectady High School senior Draven Rodriguez has started a petition to get his unusual photo featured in the yearbook as his senior portrait. "I'm hoping that with enough signatures, my school simply can't turn this down," he writes.

The picture shows Rodriguez wearing a suit, cuddling with a fluffy cat in front of an '80s style laser background. He says Vincent Giordano took and edited the picture, and gave permission to use it.

CBS 6 in Albany reports the school gave Rodriguez permission to put the "cat-tastic" image in the yearbook, but not as his senior portrait.

"To clarify, the school HAS NOT YET DECLINED this photo," Rodriguez wrote on his petition. "This is my pre-emptive strike just in case such a thing were to happen. I wanted as many backers as possible before the deadline of September 15th."

As of Thursday morning, more than 650 people signed the petition, surpassing his original goal of 500. He's also gained support from a Jezebel writer who calls Rodriguez an "American hero," inviting readers to join the cause.

"As a former teen who had a cat feature prominently in one of her senior portraits, I could not be any more pro-this," Jezebel News Editor Erin Gloria Ryan writes. "Let's make this happen."

The definition of hero has been severely devalued, methinks.

• Like 7

Narcissistic, attention-starved wimpy boy........does yer Mommy still tuck you in at night?!

GROW A PAIR, FER CHRIST'S SAKE........ :bitchslap: :P

• Like 2

This is what happens when you name your boy "Draven".. and the poor kid is probably wondering what all the fuss is about lol
  • Like 1

This is what happens when you name your boy "Draven".. and the poor kid is probably wondering what all the fuss is about lol

Not to mention, he probably sits down when he has to pee.

And now, the rest of the story...

Draven Rodriguez, a senior at Schenectady High School, says he wanted his last image in his high school yearbook to portray his “vibrant, intense personality.”

And what better way than with his beloved rescue cat, Mr. Bigglesworth, and lasers?

When Rodriguez submitted his senior portrait for submission, it was initially met with “uncertainty,” Today reports. So, before the photo could officially be declined, he preemptively started a petition, with the goal of getting 500 signatures.

As of this writing, Rodriguez’s petition has earned 7,436 signatures – but he didn’t even need to use it.

That’s because the school principal, Diane Wilkinson, stepped in with a suggestion of her own – instead of using the photo as Rodriguez’s senior picture, the two of them would take a new portrait, each holding their rescue pet, and the photo would appear on her page.

Additionally, Wilkinson would include a few words on her page encouraging the adoption of shelter animals.

Rodriguez and Mr. Bigglesworth and Wilkinson and her rescue dog, Vivian, went back to Vincent and Fran Giordano’s Trinacria Photography studio, and shot one glorious portrait.

And this goes without saying, but the pets truly stole the show.

“Mr. Bigglesworth the cat and Vivian the dog were very calm and poised. True pros all the way, the camera loved them!” Vincent Giordano told TODAY.com.

The Giordanos, who have also rescued a pet owners, are hoping to use the publicity to raise awareness for shelter adoptions.

As for Rodriguez’s wish for the yearbook – something tells me his classmates will always remember his photo… but they’ll also remember their cool Principal Wilkinson.

Pics at: http://www.ijreview.com/2014/09/182608-one-school-principal-saves-day-laser-cats-glorious-yearbook-photo-shoot/

• Like 1

I know you should always give the customer what they want...but...being a photographer, including portrait photography, I just don't think I could put my name to such a cheesy portrait. Edited by johndyar

I think I found a picture of that dudes Dad.

http://www.peopleofwalmart.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/6769.jpg

• Like 3

Sad ending to this story...

SCHENECTADY, N.Y. — A high school senior who became an Internet sensation for his proposal of a unique yearbook photo has reportedly died from an apparent suicide.

According to the Times Union in Albany, N.Y., Draven Rodriguez, 17, died Thursday at his home. The cause of death was a suicide, his parents said.

Rodriguez made national news last fall after he requested to take an ’80s style laser portrait with his cat, Mr. Bigglesworth, for the yearbook.

The school initially had said the photo wouldn’t pass. But after an online petition, Schenetady High School in New York said it would allow it, so long as the principal would join in on the photo with her dog.

The teen’s wit gained notoriety across the country. But his parents said it was his kindness that went even further.

“He made friends wherever he went,” Rodriguez’s father, Jonathan Stewart, told the Times Union. “He had friends all over the country — people he’d met at youth-leadership conferences, online, just around town.”

The Times Union reports Rodriguez explored many interests, including teaching himself guitar, learning words from a Russian-English dictionary and rowing crew.

His proposed yearbook photo, which made rounds on late night talk shows, wasn’t an act of defiance, but rather an example of his cleverness.

“He wasn’t trying to stir things up with it,” Stewart told the Times Union. “He honestly just wanted a silly photo because he had a great sense of humor.”

:rose: