• Led Zeppelin II
    • Led Zeppelin III
    • untitled/Zoso/Led Zeppelin IV
    • Houses of the Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through The Out Door
    • Coda

^ Never thought of it that way. Guess I started out as a poser in the 5th grade, then became a real (?) fan for quite awhile with II being my favorite, though I went through stints where the all others were the flavor of the day (except for the last two). Eventually I got back to PG so I'm a poser again :o . I get it though. I was once at a table of people who pretty much all agreed that IV was their best album. I was the one dissenter, saying that II had it all. This is a good thread though because I can see a case for any of their first six.

Twist on the Presence fandom description. I've noticed Presence is the album for hipsters who are normally "above" liking LZ. Since most LZ fans generally consider Presence their weakest effort (apart from ITTOD maybe), they like it because LZ fans don't (at least most fans seemed to be disappointed with it back in the day; it's more appreciated now). Hipsters don't like ITTOD because it's radio friendly and fairly mainstream, but Presence is "different" and kind of "obscure," or at least slightly "difficult." So, I've known hipsters who like to brag that they don't care for LZ, EXCEPT for Presence, which they make a point of noting favorably. I even read a RS article in a LZ tribute edition a few years ago that called Presence their best album. Maybe the writer had a broken leg but I suspect was just a hipster wanting to contribute.

Anyway, not to cut on Presence, it's a great album but most any other standard. I spent one summer listening to almost nothing else.

• Like 2

Led Zep II is mine.

Physical Graffiti is the favourite album of the Led Zep poser fans.

Houses of the Holy is the favourite album of the Led Zep pervert fans.

Led Zep IV is the favourite album of the plastic Led Zep fans.

Led Zep III is the favourite album of the girly girls.

Led Zep I is the favourite album of the grandad Led Zep fans.

Presence is the favourite album of Led Zep fans with a broken leg in plaster.

In through the Out Door is the favourite album of the deaf Led Zep fans.

Coda is the favourite album of Led Zep fans.who work in charity shops.

I thought Zep II was for posers and PG was for Zep purists..? :P

I know it is a stupid question, but I no longer own any of their albums. Back when they first came out and well into the seventies, I just listened to music. It would never have occurred to me to even care which band member did what back then. It was just music. And I just listened.

Mostly Page, Plant.

John Paul Jones was responsible for A LOT of classic Led Zeppelin.

That's what I am interested in - the early Led Zep - from the first album up to the album that had Kashmir on it.

Off the top of my head, John Paul Jones is mostly responsible for songs like "Black Dog" and "No Quarter". He's also responsible for arranging a lot of songs, specifically the strings on "Kashmir".

They were a BAND. It seems, much to Jimmie Page's chagrin.

Unfortunately he was also burdened with coming up with most of the material for In Through The Outdoor since page was pretty strung out at that time.

Led Zep II is mine.

:no:

Led Zep II is mine.

Zep II has the best riffs. I'll definitely give it that.

^ Never thought of it that way. Guess I started out as a poser in the 5th grade, then became a real (?) fan for quite awhile with II being my favorite, though I went through stints where the all others were the flavor of the day (except for the last two). Eventually I got back to PG so I'm a poser again :o . I get it though. I was once at a table of people who pretty much all agreed that IV was their best album. I was the one dissenter, saying that II had it all. This is a good thread though because I can see a case for any of their first six.

Twist on the Presence fandom description. I've noticed Presence is the album for hipsters who are normally "above" liking LZ. Since most LZ fans generally consider Presence their weakest effort (apart from ITTOD maybe), they like it because LZ fans don't (at least most fans seemed to be disappointed with it back in the day; it's more appreciated now). Hipsters don't like ITTOD because it's radio friendly and fairly mainstream, but Presence is "different" and kind of "obscure," or at least slightly "difficult." So, I've known hipsters who like to brag that they don't care for LZ, EXCEPT for Presence, which they make a point of noting favorably. I even read a RS article in a LZ tribute edition a few years ago that called Presence their best album. Maybe the writer had a broken leg but I suspect was just a hipster wanting to contribute.

Anyway, not to cut on Presence, it's a great album but most any other standard. I spent one summer listening to almost nothing else.

There are always people who want to prove they're "real" fans by liking the least popular material from any band. Up in the Rush forums you'll find folks who will say, with a straight face, that Caress of Steel is better than Moving Pictures.

Houses of the Holy has the highest of highs and the lowest of lows for Led Zeppelin. It contains my favorite Led Zeppelin songs and my least favorite Led Zeppelin songs.

I'm not crazy about what they did with Robert's voice on that album. From it, No Quarter is my favorite track, with the Crunge, Over the Hills and the Ocean up there as well.

(Nice lesson

on how to play the Crunge's drum parts, kiddies.) Edited by goose

^ 2nd that. Did "unplugged" twenty years before VH1 marketed it. The "Tangerine" and "That's the Way" combo is one of the sweetest moments in the history of "rock and/or roll" (from Sixteen Candles?). If they had included "Hey Hey What Can I Do" it might have rivaled IV. Not a weak moment.

This thread is about to launch me into another Zeppelin binge. I have one about every decade or so, where for about a year I listen to little else. I've been on a Rush kick, but I feel a little "What is and What Should Never Be" knocking.

• Like 1

Led Zep II is mine.

Zep II has the best riffs. I'll definitely give it that.

Zep II was so over played. By radio and by me. Time to move on. I Can always dig PG, too much on there to get tired of it. And treeduck: YES! Dammit yes!

Back in the day, Houses and Physical Graffiti were my favs (actually I probably cycled through all of them...) My band in high school used to play every LZ song. Love them all.

For the past few years, I would say Presence has been my fav

III--->Presence is an unmatchable string of greatness

I is basically a cover album

II is a bit patchy, WLL to me works best in a live format, and Moby Dick on record doesn't work at all.

ITTOD shows why JPJ is best as a player and arranger rather than composer, and Plant's vocals are pretty much unintelligible for much of it anyway.

Edited by toscanobarga

In Through The Out Door has recently been a favorite of mine. i also love LZIII and Presence.

When I tell people that Presence and III (in that order) are my two favorite Led Zeppelin albums, they usually look at me as if I have seventeen holes in my head. But I stand by my choices.

Presence was recorded when none of them knew if they'd ever be able to tour again, because of Plant's ankle or foot, whatever he had broken- and he didn't know at that time if he'd ever walk properly again. Achilles Last Stand is their finest song ever, in my opinion, and the rest of the album is just flawless- all of it straight-ahead rock, but with lots of different emotions and attitudes coming across.

The third album is, just like the original poster said about Houses of the Holy, a brilliant representation of everything they could do. I think III is the most dynamic off all of their records. I just love it.

II is a bit patchy, WLL to me works best in a live format, and Moby Dick on record doesn't work at all.

Interesting. I don't like the live versions of Whole Lotta Love I've heard (both on albums and boots) because I think they're too self indulgent. I don't mind musicians going off script live, it's part of what make it "live," but I have no interest in hearing them tune their guitars or noodle around for 30 minutes. Same with Dazed and Confused live, to be honest.

• Like 2

Interesting. I don't like the live versions of Whole Lotta Love I've heard (both on albums and boots) because I think they're too self indulgent. I don't mind musicians going off script live, it's part of what make it "live," but I have no interest in hearing them tune their guitars or noodle around for 30 minutes. Same with Dazed and Confused live, to be honest.

Agreed, that was a serious problem with The Song Remains The Same.

I will say that their version of Whole Lotta Love on the Celebration Day reunion was very good. And apart from a cringe-worthy fuckup during Dazed And Confused, they did a good job with that one too.

III for me with HOTH a close second. Since I've Been Loving You and No Quarter are my two favorite Zep songs.
  • Like 1

III for me with HOTH a close second. Since I've Been Loving You and No Quarter are my two favorite Zep songs.

Since I've Been Loving You and The Ocean are mine, so I'd probably put HotH at the second spot too. It might've been first but I hate The Crunge.