• Led Zeppelin II
    • Led Zeppelin III
    • untitled/Zoso/Led Zeppelin IV
    • Houses of the Holy
    • Physical Graffiti
    • Presence
    • In Through The Out Door
    • Coda

I'm surprised that PG won this. It has more great music on it than other albums, but looking at proportions, it is lower than 1, 2, 4 and HOTH.

I can't pick PG cause it suffers from double album syndrome. Some of the stuff on side 2 doesn't really gel with me, like Night Flight and Down By The Seaside. It has some really neat stuff like In The Light and Ten Years Gone, though.

I can't pick Physical Graffiti because it isn't their best album. :)

I would probably put LZII and Presence after HOTH. Really digging Tea For One a lot lately, and Bonamassa did a fantastic cover of it.

You can't really go too wrong with the first 5. Zeppelin's career reminds me so much of the original Ozzy era Sabbath. 5 classic albums to start out. A sixth that's half classic, half not. And two final albums that are good if you're a fan.

No love for Coda? While I generally agree with your rankings, I think PG is definitely still a classic...just an uneven one like the White Album or The Wall. And Presence and ITTOD have more than enough to please casual fans, it's just that they also have a bit of filler. Not like Rolling Stones level of filler, but just a couple of songs that are just ok.

I'm surprised that PG won this. It has more great music on it than other albums, but looking at proportions, it is lower than 1, 2, 4 and HOTH.

I can't pick PG cause it suffers from double album syndrome. Some of the stuff on side 2 doesn't really gel with me, like Night Flight and Down By The Seaside. It has some really neat stuff like In The Light and Ten Years Gone, though.

Over time I have really begun to apreciate those songs. Especially Night Flight.

Over time I have really begun to apreciate those songs. Especially Night Flight.

Awesome song. Always has been in my view...
  • Like 1

I can't pick Physical Graffiti because it isn't their best album. :)

I would probably put LZII and Presence after HOTH. Really digging Tea For One a lot lately, and Bonamassa did a fantastic cover of it.

You can't really go too wrong with the first 5. Zeppelin's career reminds me so much of the original Ozzy era Sabbath. 5 classic albums to start out. A sixth that's half classic, half not. And two final albums that are good if you're a fan.

No love for Coda? While I generally agree with your rankings, I think PG is definitely still a classic...just an uneven one like the White Album or The Wall. And Presence and ITTOD have more than enough to please casual fans, it's just that they also have a bit of filler. Not like Rolling Stones level of filler, but just a couple of songs that are just ok.

Isn't Coda a bunch of outtakes? I thought I heard that. So it's basically Zeppelin's Tattoo You.

Just not as good. ;)

Physical Graffiti is the double album by which all other double albums should be measured. It appears to me a mix of new songs with outtakes from past sessions that, when combined, definitely touch a nerve. I just love the variety...from Kashmir to Down by the Seaside and from Houses of the Holy to Black Country Woman. It's got a little bit of everything.
  • Like 3

PhysGraf, followed by HOTH and LZI. Mostly because PG has my favorite Zep song period (and it's not the one you're thinking of)

In the Light?

That's one of my favourites

...and Kashmir...and The Rover...and Ten Years Gone...and...

• Like 2

PhysGraf, followed by HOTH and LZI. Mostly because PG has my favorite Zep song period (and it's not the one you're thinking of)

In the Light?

Yeah, there's so much good on that album! The Rover is one of those that I don't understand why it's not talked about in the same breath as songs like The Ocean or Black Dog for great Zeppelin rock songs.

I had to stop typing mid-comment to put on Physical Graffiti, haha.

• Like 1

In the Light?

Yeah, there's so much good on that album! The Rover is one of those that I don't understand why it's not talked about in the same breath as songs like The Ocean or Black Dog for great Zeppelin rock songs.

Have to say Houses is pretty good as well.

• Like 1

In the Light?

Houses Of The Holy is my #2 ;)

As a kid who was Zeppelin obsessed PG completely blew me away when I first heard it; it's like Zeppelin had become some sort of demigods, looking down on the rest of us mortals with detached amusement. Doesn't surprise me it's on top. All Zeppelin albums through Presence have a case for being their "best," but PG just feels like their pinnacle, like MP regardless of whether MP is really Rush's best. Edited by Rutlefan

No love for Coda?

I dig CODA. We're Gonna Groove, Poor Tom, Walter's Walk and Ozone Baby are awesome. And Darlene should have been included on In Through the Out Door to begin with. A fun little rocker every bit as good as D'yer Mak'er.
  • Like 1

In the Light?

Houses Of The Holy is my #2 ;)

Aww don't say that, its a pretty good album, don't compare it to p...

Oh I get it, its your 2nd favorite.

ha.

No love for Coda?

I dig CODA. We're Gonna Groove, Poor Tom, Walter's Walk and Ozone Baby are awesome. And Darlene should have been included on In Through the Out Door to begin with. A fun little rocker every bit as good as D'yer Mak'er.

CODA is so underrated.

"Walter's Walk"

• Like 1