Adrian Peterson Indicted in Texas for "swatting son with a switch"

treeduck

I sincerely doubt you could get a jury in Texas to rule that as child abuse... but apparently the ruling of a court doesn't matter. The court of public opinion has already spoken. And mob mentality rules all in today's America, because nobody has a spine anymore.

I sincerely doubt you could get a jury in Texas to rule that as child abuse... but apparently the ruling of a court doesn't matter. The court of public opinion has already spoken. And mob mentality rules all in today's America, because nobody has a spine anymore.

Ain't that the fu***** truth!!

From a Press Release:

Eden Prairie, MN (September 12, 2014) – The Vikings are in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson. At this time, we will defer further questions to Adrian’s attorney Rusty Hardin.

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/onair/vikings-blog-38526/vikings-release-statement-regarding-12760847/#ixzz3D8qSl6LD

IIRC, Hardin was Roger Clemens' attorney.

He was.

They probably saw last week's game, and thought that Matt Asiata could run for a buck fifty against that defense.

LABT you want to change your pick 4 selections?

Nope.

Matt Asiata is a fine back who scores 3 TDs every time he starts. :)

Physical disciplining of a child is always subject to interpretation. Obviously, parents go too far from time to time. Unfortunately, some parents go WAY too far. In my opinion, if your discipline causes bruises, welts, cuts, etc., then you're going too far. Young children don't deserve such injuries, no matter what they've done.

Right, so if a child was going to walk out in front of a truck, or pull a pan of boiling water on itself, smacking would be inappropriate?

Adults have a duty of care towards children, and sometimes that means discipline instilled through corporal punishment.

We could come up with a million different scenarios of disciplining children, couldn't we?

When children make innocent mistakes (like walking out into traffic), they do so out of inexperience. They're CHILDREN - not punks who are out to piss you off. Smacking the child for making an innocent mistake is a sign that the parent is just being angry and cruel.

You get the child out of harm's way, and then by all means, scold him/her about the dangers of walking into traffic or grabbing the pot of boiling water. Parents have a duty to be rational and fair - not angry and cruel. That way, children will respect you in the future....instead of fearing and hating you.

Corporal punishment is sometimes necessary, but it should be done as rarely as possible, and only when the child is intentionally disrespectful and/or hurtful.

• Like 3

I don't think there's a formula to raising humans. I generally don't like the idea of corporal punishment, but even in cases where corporal punishment goes a little too far (this case, for instance), I still have a very hard time calling it abuse. There are varying cultural attitudes toward corporal punishment, and absolutely no consensus on the practice. So what I see here is a guy who acted in the honest belief that he was disciplining his child. If he'd been acting in truly abusive anger, it would be a lot worse.

This, unlike the case of Ray Rice's closed fist knockout of his wife, is a case where counselling and education is appropriate, rather than deterrent punishment or confinement. And really, the NFL should butt out. Even if Adrian Peterson did the wrong thing, I really don't believe he did it for the wrong reasons. He doesn't seem to be running from the accusations, and I really don't believe he crossed the threshold into abuse.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

I don't think there's a formula to raising humans. I generally don't like the idea of corporal punishment, but even in cases where corporal punishment goes a little too far (this case, for instance), I still have a very hard time calling it abuse. There are varying cultural attitudes toward corporal punishment, and absolutely no consensus on the practice. So what I see here is a guy who acted in the honest belief that he was disciplining his child. If he'd been acting in truly abusive anger, it would be a lot worse.

This, unlike the case of Ray Rice's closed fist knockout of his wife, is a case where counselling and education is appropriate, rather than deterrent punishment or confinement. And really, the NFL should butt out. Even if Adrian Peterson did the wrong thing, I really don't believe he did it for the wrong reasons. He doesn't seem to be running from the accusations, and I really don't believe he crossed the threshold into abuse.

After the Ray Rice incident, there's no way the NFL is not going to punish him.

Seriously?...I may have to get "off board" the NFL sooner than I thought. I was gonna wait till Snyder changed the name or guys started getting penalties for stuff they say on the field but..... :facepalm:

Seriously?...I may have to get "off board" the NFL sooner than I thought. I was gonna wait till Snyder changed the name or guys started getting penalties for stuff they say on the field but..... :facepalm:

It's a prediction, but given the hullabaloo over Rice, I think it's a pretty safe one.

• Like 1

It's a prediction, but given the hullabaloo over Rice, I think it's a pretty safe one.

I am just glad I am older and have the conviction to do it. When I was younger I would have let this kind of sh*t slide. But f**k'em now. Soon they won't be getting a dime form me if they keep this sh*t up.... :|

I am just glad I am older and have the conviction to do it. When I was younger I would have let this kind of sh*t slide. But f**k'em now. Soon they won't be getting a dime form me if they keep this sh*t up.... :|

I'll never be able to give up the NFL. Well, maybe the second Monday night game in Week 1. At least until I retire and don't have to go to work the next day. :)

I'll never be able to give up the NFL. Well, maybe the second Monday night game in Week 1. At least until I retire and don't have to go to work the next day. :)

I gotta stand up for principle at some point in my life. I watch no baseball anymore and haven't missed it at all.....
  • Like 1

I gotta stand up for principle at some point in my life. I watch no baseball anymore and haven't missed it at all.....

Probably couldn't do that either but it would be infinitely easier (if such a thing is possible) than the NFL.

Multiple reports, including TMZ, Fox Sports and the Fox affiliate in Houston, said Peterson was indicted on Thursday in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the indictment stems from Peterson disciplining his son with a switch, which is a flexible rod.

According to TMZ, unnamed sources said the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota, who was visiting Peterson at the running back's home in Texas this past May. When the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota, she noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor, TMZ siad. TMZ added the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson.

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer said Peterson has been cooperating with law enforcement, and has to turn himself in to authorities. His status for this weekend's game against New England is unclear, Glazer said.

Child Protective Services confirmed to TMZ that they are working on a case involving Peterson and an 11-year-old boy.

Physical disciplining of a child is always subject to interpretation. Obviously, parents go too far from time to time. Unfortunately, some parents go WAY too far. In my opinion, if your discipline causes bruises, welts, cuts, etc., then you're going too far. Young children don't deserve such injuries, no matter what they've done.

According to this picture, there are welts, not only on the butt but on the legs. It looks pretty bad to me.

10516835_10152783025133825_4521282100379865759_n.jpg?oh=9b37c1f32bcc6698ceaf9a425e13bc69&oe=54A2029A&__gda__=1417876343_7776412ff4574d00acfe1b42dee549f8

I've had worse than that climbing trees when I was a kid.

They weren't inflicted by an adult though.

Good point,

Big difference. I never in my life had any broken skin after an a** whoopin'.

Multiple reports, including TMZ, Fox Sports and the Fox affiliate in Houston, said Peterson was indicted on Thursday in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the indictment stems from Peterson disciplining his son with a switch, which is a flexible rod.

According to TMZ, unnamed sources said the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota, who was visiting Peterson at the running back's home in Texas this past May. When the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota, she noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor, TMZ siad. TMZ added the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson.

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer said Peterson has been cooperating with law enforcement, and has to turn himself in to authorities. His status for this weekend's game against New England is unclear, Glazer said.

Child Protective Services confirmed to TMZ that they are working on a case involving Peterson and an 11-year-old boy.

According to this picture, there are welts, not only on the butt but on the legs. It looks pretty bad to me.

10516835_10152783025133825_4521282100379865759_n.jpg?oh=9b37c1f32bcc6698ceaf9a425e13bc69&oe=54A2029A&__gda__=1417876343_7776412ff4574d00acfe1b42dee549f8

Good point,

Me neither. Got plenty of spankings. Was never hit on the legs like this nor did I receive any welts or broken skin.

• Like 2

Good point,

Me neither. Got plenty of spankings. Was never hit on the legs like this nor did I receive any welts or broken skin.

Me too ^^^^^ and look how we turned out....
  • Like 1

Good point,

How'd I turn out? :huh:

Good point,

How'd I turn out? :huh:

A conservative who loves Rush. Could be worse....
  • Like 1

Good point,

We hated getting what we most likely deserved back then. But in the long run, it made me think twice about what I did and who I was hanging out with.