Adrian Peterson Indicted in Texas for "swatting son with a switch"

treeduck

But, please tell me, what kind of person do you think the kid will become, who has taken beatings of this nature?

Apparently it'll likely go 1 of 2 ways.

In Adrian Peterson's case - he was whooped like that, so he continues doing it.

In my cousin's case... he was beat by his father and swore never to continue that behavior.

It could go in one of many different ways. There is no sure way to predict how a child will respond to such whippings in the long term. The boy could swear off having kids ever, or he could have kids and hurt them worse.....or not hurt them at all. He could end up in prison for assaulting others, or go to college and have a great life. He could wallow in his misery and do drugs all his life, or he could forgive all of it and be a great family man. All kinds of possibilities.....

The only thing corporal punishment truly guarantees is that a child will experience pain and suffering as well as painful memories as an adult.

You need to research the subject. There IS evidence that shows what happens to the brain of kids who get beat.

:LOL:

Again,

You put all ass whoopin's in one catagory as if they are all the same. That's just insane!! Are you saying the discipline I received caused brain damage? If so, it's just the opposite. It kept me out of big time trouble. Especially during my teen years. I have never been in jail my entire life. ;)

Do you see how this argument sounds just like Running Reb arguing that high taxes and heavy regulations is what causes Americans to be prosperous? We're prosperous DESPITE the obstacles and robberies that the government inflicts upon us.

You became a great person DESPITE the beatings you received.

Wrong,

First of all I wasn't BEAT!! You make it sound like my situation was the same as this case we are discussing here. My spankings/whoppin's were quick and to the point. My Grandma and parents never took it as far as Peterson. Not even close. They actually did not like doing it but it is what it is. You either learned your lesson or didn't. The worse part for me was when I didn't learn a lesson. I lost my weekly allowance and playing with my friends. That was worse than any spanking I ever received. And why are you bringing taxes and regulations in to it? Might as well just have this thread moved over to SOCN!

Oh BTW,

I hope your dog is doing well!

Edited by troutman

But, please tell me, what kind of person do you think the kid will become, who has taken beatings of this nature?

In my cousin's case... he was beat by his father and swore never to continue that behavior.

It could go in one of many different ways. There is no sure way to predict how a child will respond to such whippings in the long term. The boy could swear off having kids ever, or he could have kids and hurt them worse.....or not hurt them at all. He could end up in prison for assaulting others, or go to college and have a great life. He could wallow in his misery and do drugs all his life, or he could forgive all of it and be a great family man. All kinds of possibilities.....

The only thing corporal punishment truly guarantees is that a child will experience pain and suffering as well as painful memories as an adult.

You need to research the subject. There IS evidence that shows what happens to the brain of kids who get beat.

Again,

You put all ass whoopin's in one catagory as if they are all the same. That's just insane!! Are you saying the discipline I received caused brain damage? If so, it's just the opposite. It kept me out of big time trouble. Especially during my teen years. I have never been in jail my entire life. ;)

If you need to beat your kids to discipline them, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying that all spanking is evil or horrible, and certain Peterson's conduct goes far beyond acceptable discipline, but I believe that it rarely, if ever, is the appropriate decision to make. Many people get beaten and grow up to be fine well adjusted adults. But I think that there is definitely a way to be strict and enforce discipline without physically harming your child.

All spankings are not beatings like this case. Big difference. I think most parents would rather not have to spank their child. But at times it's needed. I think most kids these days are to spoiled and get away with way to much. Just look how they act. It really is sad. But again, that's on the parents whom many of them just want to be there kids friend.

• Like 2

Pull the adds. I will sleep well either way.....

Of course, because you don't make your money from the NFL. Goodell, however, might not be sleeping as well as you.

Tiger survived the big bail. If the product continues to be great they will too....

This is a good point. As long as the fan support doesn't wane (and it won't), companies will be lining up to associate with the league.

I hope the holier than thou businesses bail and lose some coin. I just can't stand when folks lick their finger and stick it in the air to check the wind direction. Just my opinion of course....

I'm not being critical of A-B...just talking economics.

I am not ashamed to admit I suck at economics...... :blink:

Nah, you know plenty. And this one's pretty simple, IMO. There is going to be no shortage of companies who will do business with the NFL. You could actually argue that if a company pulls their ads that they're not fulfilling their fiduciary responsibility to their stockholder to maximize (legally) their profits.

Except that choosing not to business with the NFL over an issue like this is likely to earn you more free publicity into fresh ocean markets than doing business with the NFL possibly could. Shit, even thinking about not doing business with the NFL is starting to do that.

You might be right but I haven't seen any evidence of this to this point.

Again,

If you need to beat your kids to discipline them, you're doing it wrong. I'm not saying that all spanking is evil or horrible, and certain Peterson's conduct goes far beyond acceptable discipline, but I believe that it rarely, if ever, is the appropriate decision to make. Many people get beaten and grow up to be fine well adjusted adults. But I think that there is definitely a way to be strict and enforce discipline without physically harming your child.

All spankings are not beatings like this case. Big difference. I think most parents would rather not have to spank their child. But at times it's needed. I think most kids these days are to spoiled and get away with way to much. Just look how they act. It really is sad. But again, that's on the parents whom many of them just want to be there kids friend.

I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point, but this is sort of my problem with this discussion. The Peterson case(s?) has nothing to do with the debate over corporal punishment. It's a little like analogizing rape to a consensual sexual experience. When Mike Tyson, for example, got pinched for rape, I don't recall people using that as a springboard to discuss the proper time table for a couple to decide when to become intimate.

• Like 2

If Adrian Peterson is found guilty of a crime, then, and only then, we can talk about the appropriate suspension.

Where in the hell do you get this, Ken? His contract and his collective bargaining agreement are the documents that govern whether of not he can be suspended. A criminal finding may not be required. It's all in the legal agreements under which he is employed.

No more privately contracted legal agreements for Ken. Now the government is in charge of my decisions on whether to hire, fire, or take disciplinary actions regarding my employees.

Hold the phone a second.

If you accuse me of violating contract, and I didn't violate contract; who gets to decide which one of us is in breach of that agreement?

Now, we've got an investigation ongoing that is determining what Adrian Peterson did. Is it not the prudent action to wait and see what the results of that investigation are, before you act on his contract and potentially breach the terms of that agreement yourself?

If you didn't violate the contract. My point is that a legal finding is not necessarily required to take action (based on whatever is in the contract and allowed under the collective bargaining agreement).

I never meant to claim that it was. But I do think it's prudent to wait for legal finding, since the proceedings are already initiated anyways, and that essentially kills two birds with one stone. If he's found guilty, you have no question in acting within the bounds of the contract, and you can punish him as you deem appropriate. If he's found not guilty, you have no liability by having potentially acting wrongfully against an innocent party.

You've lost whatever business you've lost due to your inaction. You've substituted a legal finding of guilt (beyond a doubt) than the exercise of your own judgment. You should be fired for operating your business so poorly.

Of course, because you don't make your money from the NFL. Goodell, however, might not be sleeping as well as you.

Tiger survived the big bail. If the product continues to be great they will too....

This is a good point. As long as the fan support doesn't wane (and it won't), companies will be lining up to associate with the league.

I hope the holier than thou businesses bail and lose some coin. I just can't stand when folks lick their finger and stick it in the air to check the wind direction. Just my opinion of course....

Nah, you know plenty. And this one's pretty simple, IMO. There is going to be no shortage of companies who will do business with the NFL. You could actually argue that if a company pulls their ads that they're not fulfilling their fiduciary responsibility to their stockholder to maximize (legally) their profits.

Except that choosing not to business with the NFL over an issue like this is likely to earn you more free publicity into fresh ocean markets than doing business with the NFL possibly could. Shit, even thinking about not doing business with the NFL is starting to do that.

You didn't check the headlines of the news sites in the last 24 hours, huh?

Again,

Do you see how this argument sounds just like Running Reb arguing that high taxes and heavy regulations is what causes Americans to be prosperous? We're prosperous DESPITE the obstacles and robberies that the government inflicts upon us.

The worse part for me was when I didn't learn a lesson. I lost my weekly allowance and playing with my friends. That was worse than any spanking I ever received.

Hmmm, so which is the better way to discipline your child? The one that works and has virtually no chance to physiologically harm your child and your relationship with him, or the one that doesn't work and has a high risk of harming your child and your relationship with him?

Well... looks like the Vikings organization removed the spine they'd seemed to have developed, and proceeded to paint their bellies yella...

AP's sitting out until he's exonerated. Great.

I know. It's pretty horrible that someone who represents their club and their league is subject to the same or less punishment than virtually any other employee without such a high profile position would under the same circumstances. Why don't the Vikings understand that the football players are above all contracts, codes of conduct, and societal norms and just let them beat 4-year olds with sticks and fists until they are bleeding all over without any repercussions whatsoever, regardless of how much money and goodwill they are costing the team?

• Like 2

An interesting note about the discussion over whether the criminal case should be allowed to play itself out before the NFL takes action is that the Chicago Black Sox were actually acquitted of criminal charges before baseball banned them for life. In fact, I think Judge Landis, the commissioner at the time, basically said he didn't care what a jury decided in a criminal case, the Sox had cheated and they were getting the boot.
  • Like 1

If Adrian Peterson is found guilty of a crime, then, and only then, we can talk about the appropriate suspension.

Where in the hell do you get this, Ken? His contract and his collective bargaining agreement are the documents that govern whether of not he can be suspended. A criminal finding may not be required. It's all in the legal agreements under which he is employed.

No more privately contracted legal agreements for Ken. Now the government is in charge of my decisions on whether to hire, fire, or take disciplinary actions regarding my employees.

Hold the phone a second.

If you accuse me of violating contract, and I didn't violate contract; who gets to decide which one of us is in breach of that agreement?

Now, we've got an investigation ongoing that is determining what Adrian Peterson did. Is it not the prudent action to wait and see what the results of that investigation are, before you act on his contract and potentially breach the terms of that agreement yourself?

If you didn't violate the contract. My point is that a legal finding is not necessarily required to take action (based on whatever is in the contract and allowed under the collective bargaining agreement).

I never meant to claim that it was. But I do think it's prudent to wait for legal finding, since the proceedings are already initiated anyways, and that essentially kills two birds with one stone. If he's found guilty, you have no question in acting within the bounds of the contract, and you can punish him as you deem appropriate. If he's found not guilty, you have no liability by having potentially acting wrongfully against an innocent party.

Not if there is harm in keeping him on the team during the legal proceeding. The business should do what it believes is in its best interest based on its understanding of the contract and CBA. They can punish him as the deem appropriate according to that legal standard, not the criminal standard. And that is what they are doing.

• Like 1

Again,

I don't necessarily disagree with your larger point, but this is sort of my problem with this discussion. The Peterson case(s?) has nothing to do with the debate over corporal punishment. It's a little like analogizing rape to a consensual sexual experience. When Mike Tyson, for example, got pinched for rape, I don't recall people using that as a springboard to discuss the proper time table for a couple to decide when to become intimate.

I don't agree. This is perhaps an extreme case of corporal punishment (though certainly not the worst) but it is corporal punishment nonetheless. Hitting harder or softer, breaking the skin with a stick or tanning a butt with a hand, etc. are all degrees in discipline driven by physical contact. They certainly aren't the same but they have that common element.

An interesting note about the discussion over whether the criminal case should be allowed to play itself out before the NFL takes action is that the Chicago Black Sox were actually acquitted of criminal charges before baseball banned them for life. In fact, I think Judge Landis, the commissioner at the time, basically said he didn't care what a jury decided in a criminal case, the Sox had cheated and they were getting the boot.

A-Rod wasn't accused of any crime, was he? What about the vast majority of people who break the drug policy doing legal activities? Or people who otherwise are accused of legal actions which violate codes of conduct.

RNB, as a Pats fan would you want Hernandez on your team until all his appeals run out (assuming he could get bail)?

The whole line of reasoning is just completely flawed.

Again,

I don't agree. This is perhaps an extreme case of corporal punishment (though certainly not the worst) but it is corporal punishment nonetheless. Hitting harder or softer, breaking the skin with a stick or tanning a butt with a hand, etc. are all degrees in discipline driven by physical contact. They certainly aren't the same but they have that common element.

It's technically corporal punishment. But there's a world of difference between slapping a child on the hand because he or she keeps grabbing at a sibling (for example) and beating a child badly enough to leave injuries. My point was that people can debate the propriety of corporal punishment, but using a brutal assault as an example isn't useful because it's nowhere near the gray area that exists.

I don't hit my kids, and never have. Do I think that someone who swats a kid on the behind once when the kid tells his mother to shut her mouth is a bad parent by virtue of doing that? I can't really say that.

• Like 1

A-Rod wasn't accused of any crime, was he? What about the vast majority of people who break the drug policy doing legal activities? Or people who otherwise are accused of legal actions which violate codes of conduct.

RNB, as a Pats fan would you want Hernandez on your team until all his appeals run out (assuming he could get bail)?

The whole line of reasoning is just completely flawed.

No, I wouldn't. Nor would I want him back on the team if Judge Garsh threw out some of the evidence on technical grounds and the Commonwealth dropped the charges because it was concerned it couldn't get a conviction.

• Like 1

Again,

It's technically corporal punishment. But there's a world of difference between slapping a child on the hand because he or she keeps grabbing at a sibling (for example) and beating a child badly enough to leave injuries. My point was that people can debate the propriety of corporal punishment, but using a brutal assault as an example isn't useful because it's nowhere near the gray area that exists.

I don't hit my kids, and never have. Do I think that someone who swats a kid on the behind once when the kid tells his mother to shut her mouth is a bad parent by virtue of doing that? I can't really say that.

Yup. Agreed.

Again,

The worse part for me was when I didn't learn a lesson. I lost my weekly allowance and playing with my friends. That was worse than any spanking I ever received.

Hmmm, so which is the better way to discipline your child? The one that works and has virtually no chance to physiologically harm your child and your relationship with him, or the one that doesn't work and has a high risk of harming your child and your relationship with him?

Interesting questions,

Not sure this will answer it but here goes. I think this really is where the parent or in my case Grandma is included. It was always explained to me why I was being punished. Spanking or not. It was never an all out a** whoopin. They were trying to educate me on what I did was wrong and why. Regardless of the level of punishment. Looking back, most of it was deserving. I learned to quit running with a bad crowd when it entered my life at an early age. Take this clip for example. You were warned of the consequences if you didn't stay out of trouble.

Again,

Interesting questions,

Not sure this will answer it but here goes. I think this really is where the parent or in my case Grandma is included. It was always explained to me why I was being punished. Spanking or not. It was never an all out a** whoopin. They were trying to educate me on what I did was wrong and why. Regardless of the level of punishment. Looking back, most of it was deserving. I learned to quit running with a bad crowd when it entered my life at an early age. Take this clip for example. You were warned of the consequences if you didn't stay out of trouble.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y0e5a6OUd5Q&list=PL73FAB27944373591

Miss post.... never mind

Again,

Interesting questions,

Miss post.... never mind

:huh: :LOL:

Again,

Interesting questions,

Miss post.... never mind

I just can't. Gotta let it go....

Again,

Interesting questions,

Miss post.... never mind

Well,

I am done trying to defend what my personal experience was like. Who knows where I would be right now in my life. Maybe even dead. My Grandma loved me with all her heart. Her wisdom is some thing I will take to my grave.

Again,

Interesting questions,

Miss post.... never mind

Well,

I am done trying to defend what my personal experience was like. Who knows where I would be right now in my life. Maybe even dead. My Grandma loved me with all her heart. Her wisdom is some thing I will take to my grave.

My parents as well..... :)
  • Like 1

Again,

Interesting questions,

But wouldn't the same explanation and warning and education approach have been more effective on you if they made you lose your allowance and grounded you, seeing as you said that that bothered you much more?

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 1

You didn't check the headlines of the news sites in the last 24 hours, huh?

Actually, I was referring to fan blowback. There has been some sponsor blowback to the Vikings and that's important (to the extent it can't be replaced at the same rates, and for a franchise, it might be difficult) and some Minnesota season ticket holders have dropped their tickets (not sure how many) But in terms of fan blowback I hadn't heard anything regarding a reduction in attendance or TV ratings (in fact they were up 8% last week and the three top rated shows were SNF, MNF, and TNF), and if there's the same fan interest then the sponsors will be replaced without much difficulty.

There have been far more assaults associated with college football and the interest there hasn't been diminished either.