Adrian Peterson Indicted in Texas for "swatting son with a switch"

treeduck

Adrian Peterson’s indictment for swatting son with a switch

Posted by Darin Gantt on September 12, 2014, 5:06 PM EDT

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/1a3cd57417dd02da656e02bd217455e8.jpg?w=250

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson’s indictment on reckless or negligent injury to a child stems from a case of old-school corporal punishment.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the incident in question stems from “disciplining of a son with a switch.”

For those of you unfamiliar with the Southern vernacular, a switch is a flexible tree branch used to swat a child across the backsides.

How you view that — as an act of parental discipline or as child abuse — depends largely on your age and geographic location.

We can already tell the comments on this one are going to be special.

http://nbcprofootballtalk.files.wordpress.com/2014/01/1a3cd57417dd02da656e02bd217455e8.jpg?w=250

Vikings running back Adrian Peterson’s indictment on reckless or negligent injury to a child stems from a case of old-school corporal punishment.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, the incident in question stems from “disciplining of a son with a switch.”

For those of you unfamiliar with the Southern vernacular, a switch is a flexible tree branch used to swat a child across the backsides.

How you view that — as an act of parental discipline or as child abuse — depends largely on your age and geographic location.

Sounds like selective enforcement to me.

I wonder if AD will call Jerry Jones back and tell him he's not so interested in playing for the Cowboys any more.

I wonder if AD will call Jerry Jones back and tell him he's not so interested in playing for the Cowboys any more.

If he did play for the Cowboys would he take a switch to Tony Romo after yet another untimely interception?

• Like 3

If he did play for the Cowboys would he take a switch to Tony Romo after yet another untimely interception?

Not sure. I do know the untimely interceptions are coming earlier in games...the fourth quarter INTs are going to start being called desperation interceptions.

Not sure. I do know the untimely interceptions are coming earlier in games...the fourth quarter INTs are going to start being called desperation interceptions.

Romo should play safety for the rest of the season then he can try to find out what it feels like to be on the other end of an interception for a change...

• Like 1

Fing ridiculous. So he disciplined his kid. Good for him. Anyone would think he'd committed genocide.

Fing nanny State makes me puke.

No sh**!!

I wasn't there, but back in the day this was standard procedure. You got what was coming to you. My grandma, 'bless her heart' loved us with a passion. But when you did some thing bad. You had to go out and find a switch and it better not break. :LOL: It kept me out of trouble big time later on in life. :P

Edited by troutman
  • Like 2

Fing ridiculous. So he disciplined his kid. Good for him. Anyone would think he'd committed genocide.

No sh**!!

I wasn't there, but back in the day this was standard procedure. You got what was coming to you. My grandma, 'bless her heart' loved us with a passion. But when you did some thing bad. You had to go out and find a switch and it better not break. :LOL: It kept me out of trouble big time later on in life. :P

Spare the rod, spoil the child my friend.

• Like 1

No sh**!!

Spare the rod, spoil the child my friend.

No sh**!!!

And actually,

After her whoopings my brother and I would fake crying after our parents did it. Go to our room and laugh. :LOL: :P

From a Press Release:

Eden Prairie, MN (September 12, 2014) – The Vikings are in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson. At this time, we will defer further questions to Adrian’s attorney Rusty Hardin.

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/onair/vikings-blog-38526/vikings-release-statement-regarding-12760847/#ixzz3D8qSl6LD

IIRC, Hardin was Roger Clemens' attorney.

• Like 1

From a Press Release:

Eden Prairie, MN (September 12, 2014) – The Vikings are in the process of gathering information regarding the legal situation involving Adrian Peterson. At this time, we will defer further questions to Adrian’s attorney Rusty Hardin.

Read more: http://www.kfan.com/.../#ixzz3D8qSl6LD

IIRC, Hardin was Roger Clemens' attorney.

Gees, :facepalm:

Thank goodness I was born back in the day. Thanks Grandma for your 'tough love'!! :rose:

• Like 1

Multiple reports, including TMZ, Fox Sports and the Fow affiliate in Houston, said Peterson was indicted on Thursday in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the indictment stems from Peterson disciplining his son with a switch, which is a flexible rod.

Unnamed sources said the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota, who was visiting Peterson at the running back's home in Texas this past May. When the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota, she noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor, TMZ siad. TMZ added the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson.

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer said Peterson has been cooperating with law enforcement, and has to turn himself in to authorities. His status for this weekend's game against New England is unclear, Glazer said.

Child Protective Services confirmed to TMZ that they are working on a case involving Peterson and an 11-year-old boy.

Physical disciplining of a child is always subject to interpretation. Obviously, parents go too far from time to time. Unfortunately, some parents go WAY too far. In my opinion, if your discipline causes bruises, welts, cuts, etc., then you're going too far. Young children don't deserve such injuries, no matter what they've done.

Edited by Principled Man
  • Like 3

Multiple reports, including TMZ, Fox Sports and the Fox affiliate in Houston, said Peterson was indicted on Thursday in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the indictment stems from Peterson disciplining his son with a switch, which is a flexible rod.

According to TMZ, unnamed sources said the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota, who was visiting Peterson at the running back's home in Texas this past May. When the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota, she noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor, TMZ siad. TMZ added the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson.

Fox Sports' Jay Glazer said Peterson has been cooperating with law enforcement, and has to turn himself in to authorities. His status for this weekend's game against New England is unclear, Glazer said.

Child Protective Services confirmed to TMZ that they are working on a case involving Peterson and an 11-year-old boy.

Physical disciplining of a child is always subject to interpretation. Obviously, parents go too far from time to time. Unfortunately, some parents go WAY too far. In my opinion, if your discipline causes bruises, welts, cuts, etc., then you're going too far. Young children don't deserve such injuries, no matter what they've done.

According to this picture, there are welts, not only on the butt but on the legs. It looks pretty bad to me.

10516835_10152783025133825_4521282100379865759_n.jpg?oh=9b37c1f32bcc6698ceaf9a425e13bc69&oe=54A2029A&__gda__=1417876343_7776412ff4574d00acfe1b42dee549f8

Multiple reports, including TMZ, Fox Sports and the Fox affiliate in Houston, said Peterson was indicted on Thursday in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the indictment stems from Peterson disciplining his son with a switch, which is a flexible rod.

According to TMZ, unnamed sources said the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota, who was visiting Peterson at the running back's home in Texas this past May. When the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota, she noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor, TMZ siad. TMZ added the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson.

Right, so if a child was going to walk out in front of a truck, or pull a pan of boiling water on itself, smacking would be inappropriate?

Adults have a duty of care towards children, and sometimes that means discipline instilled through corporal punishment.

According to this picture, there are welts, not only on the butt but on the legs. It looks pretty bad to me.

10516835_10152783025133825_4521282100379865759_n.jpg?oh=9b37c1f32bcc6698ceaf9a425e13bc69&oe=54A2029A&__gda__=1417876343_7776412ff4574d00acfe1b42dee549f8

I've had worse than that climbing trees when I was a kid.

They weren't inflicted by an adult though.

That looks unacceptable to me. I've been fortunate but never had to resort to this with kids. I look at it this way, would I be ok with being disciplined in this manner by the authorities. Answer is no so it is not appropriate for my kids.

I never hit my kids but I don't want to even get started on this issue and presuming to push "my way" on other parents..... :no:
  • Like 1

Multiple reports, including TMZ, Fox Sports and the Fow affiliate in Houston, said Peterson was indicted on Thursday in Montgomery County for reckless or negligent injury to a child. NFL Network's Ian Rapoport said the indictment stems from Peterson disciplining his son with a switch, which is a flexible rod.

Unnamed sources said the alleged victim is a male child from Minnesota, who was visiting Peterson at the running back's home in Texas this past May. When the child returned home to his mother in Minnesota, she noticed injuries and took the child to a doctor, TMZ siad. TMZ added the doctor contacted authorities in Texas to report Peterson.

I agree,

But a good a** whoopin is good for you. It keeps you straight. That's the problem these days. Parents want to be their kids friends like there kids friends. DUMB!

I never hit my kids but I don't want to even get started on this issue and presuming to push "my way" on other parents..... :no:

Sh**,

If it wern't for my a** whoopins I don't know where I would be today. Not living a good life like I am today that's for sure.

Hearing that the Vikings are deactivating Peterson for Sunday's game against the Patriots. Now employers are punishing 'criminals' before they're even convicted... super. :sarcastic:

What a joke.

Fu***** pathetic!! :eyeroll:

Unless there are some serious injuries, the PC has gone way overboard. My brother, sisters and I never had any serious bruises or bleeding when whe got what was coming to us. It was swift and over with. A couple hours later you were out doing what you loved doing.