The Columbo thread

Your_Lion

McGoohan is always a good baddie in Columbo. I know what you mean about Neilsen, when he plays the love interest in Lady In Waiting it's the same thing. You expect him to crack a joke. He turns in good performances in both Columbos.

I always like watching Dean Stockwell in Columbo. My favourite of his roles is when he plays the young playboy football team owner in The Most Crucial Game. Macnee is great as the cruise ship captain in Troubled Waters too.

These movies all have great supporting casts too. It often gets overlooked.

Diane Baker was another one.

• Like 1

Just watched Suitable For Framing. Excellent early episode. The way Columbo catches the murderer in this one is fantastic!

Yeah. That's one of my favourite "Gotcha" moments.

I also love the bit earlier on, when Columbo tells the murderer how fortunate he is that his alibi is so perfect. "With you, we know exactly where you were, and when. Not only that, we know your whole car was empty." in a way that says "you're so full of sh1t" :LOL:

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 3

Last night I watched A Stitch in Crime, with Leonard Nimoy (I mean he was the killer....not that I watched it with him).

What I love about this one is that Columbo actually gets p1ssed off at one point and loses it with Nimoy. It's always great when they have an extra dynamic between the killer and Columbo.

Although, thinking about it...Leonard Nimoy is probably the least successful killer in any Columbo. [spoilers follow if you haven't watched this one]

At the end, the guy he set out to kill is still alive, while he's arrested for killing two people, that he only killed to cover up the murder of the first person, that he didn't even manage to actually kill. Spock wouldn't be impressed.

Kirk, Spock and Khan...all three thought they could outwit Columbo....Kirk even had a 2nd go...but none of them were a match for the detective.

• Like 1

Haven't seen one for a while but I love everything about Columbo. My favorites are the Robert Culp episodes and the Patrick McGoohan ones. Oh and the one with the blowfish sticks out too. And Eddie Albert as the Naval officer with Suzanne Pleschette as the damsel in distress. So many good episodes. There was a later one with Dabney Coleman that was also quite good. So many great character and leading actors.
  • Like 2

After a long lay off (for me!) from Columbo I just watched An Exercise In Fatality. Excellent episode. I love the scene in the hospital where he totally loses his temper with the murderer. Brilliant!

Great episode, great scene. Colombo rarely lost his temper, which makes it all the more shocking those few times he did.

After I watched that episode the first time, the first thing I did was check my shoelaces...he was right! :LOL:

• Like 1

Love the series. Only episodes that stand out in my memory are the Spielberg one and the one the one with Johnny Cash.

And its "one more question"

That's a coincidence. I watched the Johnny Cash one last night. Swan Song. For me, what stands out about this one, just like with Donald Pleasence in Any Old Port in the Storm, is that Columbo and the killer really start to like each other...which is rare. At the end, Cash is relieved that he's been caught, and Columbo genuinely seems to feel sympathy for him.

I checked out that episode with Donald Pleasence last night and got sucked into it and watched the entire episode. Pretty good. I recall seeing it years and years ago.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

^^^

I just watched Any Old Port In A Storm this evening! I like the way Columbo was kind to Pleasance's character in the end. It's a very nice finale to that episode.

Carsini: "You've learned very well Lieutenant."

Columbo: "Thank you Sir, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me."

• Like 1

^^^

I just watched Any Old Port In A Storm this evening! I like the way Columbo was kind to Pleasance's character in the end. It's a very nice finale to that episode.

Carsini: "You've learned very well Lieutenant."

Columbo: "Thank you Sir, that's the nicest thing anyone has ever said to me."

Peter Falk has said that that was his favourite episode.
  • Like 1

Watched Troubled Waters with Robert Vaughan as the baddie. I like this one as Columbo is out of his usual environment. He's on a cruise ship & therefore has to solve the case with no aid from colleagues, forensics etc.

That's a good one. Plus it's got Patrick Macnee and Dean Stockwell in minor roles, and I like both those guys.

I watched Identity Crisis last night, the 2nd episode with Patrick McGoohan as the killer. Although, whenever I see Leslie Nielsen in anything, I keep expecting funny stuff to happen around him, so watching Number Six clobber him to death is always quite a shock.

Classic episodes. :)

After a long lay off (for me!) from Columbo I just watched An Exercise In Fatality. Excellent episode. I love the scene in the hospital where he totally loses his temper with the murderer. Brilliant!

Great episode, great scene. Colombo rarely lost his temper, which makes it all the more shocking those few times he did.

After I watched that episode the first time, the first thing I did was check my shoelaces...he was right! :LOL:

Admittedly, when he lost his temper, I actually sat bolt upright in shock.

• Like 1

Watched Columbo Goes To College last night. It's terrific. One of my favourite episodes from the last series.

Yeah, that's one of my favourites of the latter series. I don't there's been any killer as arrogant as those two college kids, and no one has underestimated Columbo as much. There's even that part where they both mock him by doing impersonations of him.

It really is a joy to watch Columbo tear them down at the end :D

• Like 1

Yep. If he lost his temper every episode, it wouldn't have any impact...but because he only lost it about two or three times in the entire series, you know that when it happens, he must really be p1ssed off

Yep. If he lost his temper every episode, it wouldn't have any impact...but because he only lost it about two or three times in the entire series, you know that when it happens, he must really be p1ssed off

There was that one when he lost his temper at this woman.

• Like 1

Perhaps you're thinking of A Deadly State Of Mind when Columbo is questioning the murderer's (George Hamilton) work colleague Dr. Nina Hagen.

He asks her if a psychiatrist could use hypnotherapy to get someone to commit suicide & she replies "Ask Dr. Collier" to which Columbo shouts "No! I'm asking you! I'm asking you about a murder!"

Maybe it was that one?

Edited by Turbine Freight

Perhaps you're thinking of A Deadly State Of Mind when Columbo is questioning the murderer's (George Hamilton) work colleague Dr. Nina Hagen.

He asks her if a psychiatrist could use hypnotherapy to get someone to commit suicide & she replies "Ask Dr. Collier" to which Columbo shouts "No! I'm asking you! I'm asking you about a murder!"

Maybe it was that one?

That's the one! :)

Just rewatched Columbo Goes To College. This one is excellent. It's one of my favourites from the latter series.

All the performances are great in this one. The two young arrogant murderers are extremely convincing & Robert Culp is, as always, exceptional.

Agreed.

And was a great touch having Robert Culp in the episode, even for a minor role, since he was one of the big three killers, along with McGoohan and Cassidy. It was sad that Jack Cassidy had already passed away, because I would have loved to see him back to the later series for one more go.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

Yeah that would've been a treat. I also like George Hamilton as a multiple Columbo murderer.

I would've liked to see Donald Pleasance in another one too.

Yeah. I'd have loved to see another with Donald Pleasance, too. Him and Falk had great chemistry.

And to go along with Shatner, Nimoy and Montalban, I would have loved to see DeForest Kelley get a go.

• Like 1