The Columbo thread

Your_Lion

Watched Swan Song yesterday. That was a great early episode and Johnny Cash is really good in that one.

Have to check it out in the original English version.

Love it. My sympathies are entirely with Cash in that one. She deserved it. And that's one where you can tell the killer and Columbo actually like each other, and Columbo even sympathises with him too, at the end.

Watched A Bird In The Hand..., what a great episode. Tyne Daly is excellent in this one, and Greg Evigan is good too. A good one from the later series run.

Yeah. I like that one, too. They did something different with the structure, too, with the extra murder happening.
  • Like 2

Next up Prescription: Murder which is the pilot episode. This is one of my favourites. I love Falk's portrayal of Columbo in this one. He's much more direct and hard-faced. In the later episodes it was almost like Columbo was doing an impersonation of his character, overdoing the mannerisms etc. He absolutely nails it in this one though.

Gene Barry is brilliant in this as the well-educated,suave,urbane murderer who is also completely without scruple.

• Like 2

Doing a Columbo marathon tonight. First up the quite superb Murder, Smoke & Shadows. Fisher Stevens really steals this one.

Congrats on the descision to start a marathon. :cheers:

I watched 7(!) episodes over the last 2 days and I can't get enough of the crumply inspector.

• Like 1

Doing a Columbo marathon tonight. First up the quite superb Murder, Smoke & Shadows. Fisher Stevens really steals this one.

I watched 7(!) episodes over the last 2 days and I can't get enough of the crumply inspector.

Which ones did you watch mate?

Swan Song (again)

A Friend In Deed

An Exercise In Fatality

Negative Reaction (loved that one)

By Dawn's Early Light

Troubled Waters

Playback (Oskar Werner is great in this one)

All very good and it seems I can't stop at the moment. I have a Columbo addiction.

• Like 2

Swan Song (again)

A Friend In Deed

An Exercise In Fatality

By Dawn's Early Light

Troubled Waters

All very good and it seems I can't stop at the moment. I have a Columbo addiction.

All excellent!

An Exercise In Fatality is brilliant, as is Negative Reaction. However, there is a way the killer could've got out of that murder rap in Negative Reaction. It's a flawed ending. I'll tell you in a pm if you're interested so that I don't post any spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

• Like 1

Swan Song (again)

A Friend In Deed

An Exercise In Fatality

By Dawn's Early Light

Troubled Waters

All excellent!

An Exercise In Fatality is brilliant, as is Negative Reaction. However, there is a way the killer could've got out of that murder rap in Negative Reaction. It's a flawed ending. I'll tell you in a pm if you're interested so that I don't post any spoilers for those who haven't seen it yet.

Now I'm really curious. Waiting for pm.

Swan Song (again)

A Friend In Deed

An Exercise In Fatality

By Dawn's Early Light

Troubled Waters

All excellent!

PM sent!

• Like 1

Next up Prescription: Murder which is the pilot episode. This is one of my favourites. I love Falk's portrayal of Columbo in this one. He's much more direct and hard-faced. In the later episodes it was almost like Columbo was doing an impersonation of his character, overdoing the mannerisms etc. He absolutely nails it in this one though.

Gene Barry is brilliant in this as the well-educated,suave,urbane murderer who is also completely without scruple.

I like it, but to me it always seems like Falk isn't quite there yet. I guess, for me, it was Columbo's quirks that made me fall in love with the character, and I kind of miss his usual bag-of-tricks in the pilot.
  • Like 2

Swan Song (again)

A Friend In Deed

An Exercise In Fatality

By Dawn's Early Light

Troubled Waters

All excellent!

PM sent!

Great analysis. Well done junior detective. :notworthy:

• Like 1

I also watched Ransom For A Dead Man, Double Exposure & The Most Crucial Game. Robert Culp is my favourite baddie.

Yeah. Robert Culp is always amazing. Plus, it was a nice touch to give him a small role in Columbo Goes to College. It was great seeing Falk and Culp go at it again after such a long time.

I think I'd probably give my nod to Jack Cassidy as my favourite baddie.

How to Dial a Murder is on MeTV right now.

I always loved this episode as a kid in the 70s and 80s. So much so that when I got a German Shepherd when I wasin my late 20s in 1993, I taught her to flip out when she heard the word, ROSEBUD :laughing guy:

I must have seen that one two or three time before I realised that the killer was Merlin from Excalibur.

• Like 1

Today it's Publish Or Perish with Lion's fave baddie Jack Cassady!

I thought it was a clever way to establish an alibi in that one. Where he sets out to make it look like it was him, only to have the police find the evidence for his alibi. Clever...but not clever enough to fool Columbo
  • Like 2

Today it's Publish Or Perish with Lion's fave baddie Jack Cassady!

I thought it was a clever way to establish an alibi in that one. Where he sets out to make it look like it was him, only to have the police find the evidence for his alibi. Clever...but not clever enough to fool Columbo

Yeah, it is an interesting premise, to appear guilty at first only to have Columbo initially "disprove" his guilt. Robert Culp tries the same tactic in The Most Crucial Game & also comes undone. Too clever becomes not quite clever enough in the end.

• Like 2

Another marathon tonight including:

Negative Reaction

Any Old Port In A Storm

Candidate For Crime

Double Exposure

All classics.

All great Columbos :yes:

Haven't watched one in a few weeks. I'm still currently marathoning episodes of The Avengers

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 2