The Columbo thread

Your_Lion

This week I watched Murder With Too Many Notes, Columbo Goes To College & A Friend In Deed. All brilliant! College is one of my absolute faves and I must give a special mention to Billy Connolly in Notes. He's excellent in that part.

WTF, are you telling me that there's a Columbo episode with Billy?

• Like 1

This week I watched Murder With Too Many Notes, Columbo Goes To College & A Friend In Deed. All brilliant! College is one of my absolute faves and I must give a special mention to Billy Connolly in Notes. He's excellent in that part.

Yes and what's more he really nails it. It's an excellent story too regarding the motive for murder. This episode is an all round winner in my book.

• Like 1

Yes and what's more he really nails it. It's an excellent story too regarding the motive for murder. This episode is an all round winner in my book.

Holy mother. I love the man and I had no idea that he acts in a Columbo episode. Thanks for the tip.

Now I know what I'm going to watch tomorrow afternoon.

• Like 1

I also love the in-joke that his character is called Findlay Crawford...which is a reference to an old Billy Connolly routine about the surname clan.

"Findlay....have you seen Crawford?...Who are these people?!"

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 1

Saw Notes yesterday. What a brilliant episode. Fantastic. Only complaint from my point of view are the dubbing voices of PF and BC.

Holy shite that is unsustainable. They changed the voice of Columbo (not for the better) and the one they gave to Billy is just hilarious and miserable. Must watch it again in English.

• Like 1

Watched Murder, Smoke & Shadows and Etude In Black. Both excellent!

Yeah, love them both.

My only slight niggle with Etude in Black is that the final piece of evidence is the same thing that we're made aware of before Columbo is even called. As I say, it's only a slight thing, and doesn't ruin it, since Falk and Cassavetes are brilliant together.

Yeah, love them both.

My only slight niggle with Etude in Black is that the final piece of evidence is the same thing that we're made aware of before Columbo is even called. As I say, it's only a slight thing, and doesn't ruin it, since Falk and Cassavetes are brilliant together.

John Cassavetes? He was a good actor.

• Like 2

Yeah, love them both.

He's great in Etude In Black. Really convincing.

I watched Candidate For Crime today. I love this one. A superb gotcha moment.

Yeah. That ones got a great ending :yes:
  • Like 1

Yeah, love them both.

He's great in Etude In Black. Really convincing.

I know I've seen that one and may even have it on my VHS tape.

That show had some superb actors and actresses as guest stars.

• Like 2

I'm sure I have seen every one of these episodes multiple times. I just don't know the titles.

I have some here on VHS from the VCR days, but they don't do me any good. :LOL:

Its on every night here,

Watching the "Mod Squad" at the moment. :codger:

I watched Forgotten Lady today. This one is really quite sad & I do feel sympathy for the murderer in this one, despite her awful crime.

Agreed. And that one has one of the most unique Columbo endings. It really took me by surprise the first time I watched it.

I also think it's quite clever how the seemingly light-hearted sub-plot about Columbo cheating on the firearm test foreshadows his willingness to bend the rules at the end.

I'm sure I have seen every one of these episodes multiple times. I just don't know the titles.

I have some here on VHS from the VCR days, but they don't do me any good. :LOL:

Its on every night here,

Watching the "Mod Squad" at the moment. :codger:

The original one? I loved that show. The reruns used to be on a cable station in the early nineties. One night my boss asked me if I could work overtime, and I told him I couldn't on account of the fact that the Mod Squad was on and I had to run home and watch it. He was flabbergasted. :LOL: :lol: :LOL:

Roddy McDowall & Ida Lupino are really watchable in Short Fuse. This is a great episode. One of the better early ones from the 70s. As many have mentioned, these episodes often have terrific ensembles. The supporting cast goes a long way to making them as memorable as they are.
  • Like 1

Watched Lady in Waiting last night.

One of the rare times a killer actually contemplates killing the detective at the end, although in How to Dial a Murder, Nicol Williamson actually does try to off him.

However, just like in Identity Crisis, I find it weird watching Leslie Nielsen not being Frank Drebin. I can't help but look out for funny thing in the background

• Like 1

Watched Swan Song yesterday. That was a great early episode and Johnny Cash is really good in that one.

Have to check it out in the original English version.

Edited by greyfriar
  • Like 2