You heard it here first!! Rush playing CT...........

LocalsBandGuy

Here it is...

http://www.maxim.com...rstar-geddy-lee

Q: What Rush song has the highest vocal note?

A: Oh God. There are moments of Hemispheres that are pretty high. We tried to rehearse “A Farewell To Kings” on the last tour and I couldn’t successfully sing that without hurting myself, so we gave up. So yeah, there are moments of the past I cannot sing anymore. We play “2112” one semi-tone down, to keep me from burning my throat out.

So why couldn't they also play other songs one semi-tone down? Or just change the vocals and leave the music alone. I think most people wouldn't care if the vocals aren't perfect if it means we get to see some of our favorite old tunes on tour for this first time (for most of us).

• Like 2

There must be someone here that has the inside scoop and knows something about their plans. I really am starting to get nervous. It's almost October and not a word about anything other than releasing expensive box sets.

What are they doing???

If they're smart, they'll delay announcing a tour until after the box set comes out.

I'm sure that's been the plan all along. Just in time for the holidays.with a Sepember 2015 start date.

I was thinking they probably would start a tour in the Spring since they seem to like to do outdoor venues.

I don't know why? They sound so much better in doors!

:codger:

I think that really depends on the venue but in most cases I agree. However, I've seen them twice outdoors at Holmdel, NJ and both shows sounded fantastic… on the other hand, the outdoor show I saw at Jiffy Lube Live in Bristow, VA (essentially Washington, DC) was the weakest sounding show I've ever been to.

• Like 2

Pretty good set, but do you really think they'd play Cygnus X-1 live? Maybe if they passed his voice through an octave filter...

I meant the first bit of it, before the singing. Like on Rush in Rio.

• Like 2

That being said, Alex said the 41th anniversary tour would include more fan favorites...... so maybe, yes Xanadu???

Alex has said this leading up to pretty much every tour since Moving Pictures.

Actually, he's advocated for a b-sides tour a lot, IIRC. We finally got that last tour.

Edited by LedRush

These are all merely uneducated guesses, but I think we'll get a press release and schedule between Thanksgiving and Xmas, with dates starting around late May 2015. I'm hoping for:

-Saratoga as my usual "closest to home" venue (they've only been to Syracuse once for the majority of my life, in 2010...wasn't born for the AFTK tour show at the War Memorial, and was 6 months old for the Signals tour show at the Carrier Dome)

-Columbus, OH, so I can visit my cousins and bring my teenage first-cousins-once-removed (NOT second cousins!!!...I hate when people don't know the difference) to the show

-last but not least, I'm REALLY hoping for Red Rocks...I've never been to Colorado, I have a friend from high school who lives in Denver, and I keep hearing about what a breathtaking venue it is...anyone know why they played the arena last time even though it was summertime?

Edited by Pale Facsimile

-Columbus, OH, so I can visit my cousins and bring my teenage first-cousins-once-removed (NOT second cousins!!!...I hate when people don't know the difference) to the show

I'm guessing many people don't really spend any time properly labeling and categorizing relatives. That's my excuse anyway.

-last but not least, I'm REALLY hoping for Red Rocks...I've never been to Colorado, I have a friend from high school who lives in Denver, and I keep hearing about what a breathtaking venue it is...anyone know why they played the arena last time even though it was summertime?
Neil has said in one of his books or blogs that their lighting rig will not fit in Red Rocks. The only way they'll ever play there again is if their rig shrinks, which I doubt.
  • Like 1

Here it is...

A: Oh God. There are moments of Hemispheres that are pretty high. We tried to rehearse “A Farewell To Kings” on the last tour and I couldn’t successfully sing that without hurting myself, so we gave up. So yeah, there are moments of the past I cannot sing anymore. We play “2112” one semi-tone down, to keep me from burning my throat out.

So why couldn't they also play other songs one semi-tone down? Or just change the vocals and leave the music alone. I think most people wouldn't care if the vocals aren't perfect if it means we get to see some of our favorite old tunes on tour for this first time (for most of us).

perfection and precision is about all rush fans care about, dude

something for nothing is punk rock around these parts

What's Alex in charge of?

Getting our hopes up.

I think he is also in charge of bringing the weed.

alex seems like the only one who still smokes, yeah

geddy might sometimes, but it's probably when alex is like, "hey, hit this"

neil walks by with book in hand and thinks, "simpletons..."

• Like 1

Getting our hopes up.

You really think so? I always wondered how long they kept the drug use up. I know Alex did some ecstasy in the 90s so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if he still smokes pot...I honestly doubt Ged or Neil has touched the stuff since the mid 80s
  • Like 1

I'd wager they ALL smoke herb, but recreationally occasionally. Neil mentions it in at least Ghost Rider, and THC use would also fit their intelligence and artistic temperaments.

I hope you're right....smoking a bowl with those three would complete my life! :smoke: haha
  • Like 1

I'm guessing many people don't really spend any time properly labeling and categorizing relatives. That's my excuse anyway.

Neil has said in one of his books or blogs that their lighting rig will not fit in Red Rocks. The only way they'll ever play there again is if their rig shrinks, which I doubt.

Oh yeah, you're right. I found it, it was in the NW&S entry from last summer where he's talking about the benefit show they played in Red Deer, AB. That's a bummer...makes me wish I'd gone to see them at R.R. in 2010 or 2007.

Getting our hopes up.

You really think so? I always wondered how long they kept the drug use up. I know Alex did some ecstasy in the 90s so I guess it wouldn't surprise me if he still smokes pot...I honestly doubt Ged or Neil has touched the stuff since the mid 80s

What does ecstacy have to do with weed? Absolutely nothing from what I can see..

Alex puffs and I'm sure Neil and Ged do on occasion. Especially Neil..

Hard drugs? I'm sure none of them except I wouldn't be surprised if Neil dabbled in coke still but not to excess by any means.. My opinion..

• Like 1

Getting our hopes up.

What does ecstacy have to do with weed? Absolutely nothing from what I can see..

Alex puffs and I'm sure Neil and Ged do on occasion. Especially Neil..

Hard drugs? I'm sure none of them except I wouldn't be surprised if Neil dabbled in coke still but not to excess by any means.. My opinion..

There was a report from an old friend about how Neil in the early 2000s was still doing coke like a champ. That caused a bit of controversy around here as everyone likes to think of the boys as angels and seem to lose their shit when some information leaks out doesn't conform to their views. I was surprised to read the article at first, but it never bothered me in the sense that I thought that Neil was bad or anything. In retrospect, I shouldn't even have been that surprised.

Edited by LedRush
  • Like 4

Here it is...

I've gone to the point of importing Hemispheres and Farewell to Kings into garageband and downtuning the track.

The "semi tone" downtuning (its actually a "tone" .. two notes...going from E standard to D standard...) . would be interesting to hear it in that, considering how badass 2112 sounds in that same tuning.

Seems like before every tour, all We hear is "I hope they play this, I hope they play that". Then after the tour it's all about how Ged's voice is shot and how awful he sounds..

I'm kinda thinking now I'll trust Geddy to decide what he can sing. If he doesn't want to sing it then I probably wouldn't want to hear it..

Seems like before every tour, all We hear is "I hope they play this, I hope they play that". Then after the tour it's all about how Ged's voice is shot and how awful he sounds..

I'm kinda thinking now I'll trust Geddy to decide what he can sing. If he doesn't want to sing it then I probably wouldn't want to hear it..

Exactly. He's going to know best what is completely out of his range or what he doesn't want to attempt.

Getting our hopes up.

Alex still smokes bud. He discussed this in his cover-story interview with High Times last year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Geddy and Neil still partake occasionally. Not everyone who smokes weed behaves like a caricature from some juvenile hijinks comedy film. Many appreciate it as "the thinking man's herb," and use it in that fashion. I doubt any of them get as tall as they did during the Caress of Steel years, but you might be surprised...

Getting our hopes up.

Alex still smokes bud. He discussed this in his cover-story interview with High Times last year. I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if Geddy and Neil still partake occasionally. Not everyone who smokes weed behaves like a caricature from some juvenile hijinks comedy film. Many appreciate it as "the thinking man's herb," and use it in that fashion. I doubt any of them get as tall as they did during the Caress of Steel years, but you might be surprised...

Many people who achieved great things achieved them while using drugs.

Getting our hopes up.

Many people who achieved great things achieved them while using drugs.

Sure. But I didn't intend to glorify drug use. I only wanted to suggest that, at least in the case of weed, too many folks have seen too many sensational movies. Most adults who partake use it responsibly, and prefer it to a glass of wine when looking to relax. Anyone who assumes Neil would dismiss someone relaxing with a joint as a "simpleton" perhaps has a simplistic view of who Neil is and what he's done. It seems readily apparent that Rush smoked a lot of bud during the 70s, and I don't even need to appeal to conjecture—they've discussed it in interviews.

Just my two cents. So Rush is playing CT? :P

Edited by Powderfinger
  • Like 1