What is the Best Rush Song? (The Defining Moment)

savagegrace26

What is the Best Rush Song? (The Defining Moment)  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What is the Best Rush Song?

• Xanadu
    • not Xanadu (something else)

Since you said "defining moment" I'd have to say 2112. That song basically made Rush!

Xanadu is first. Close seconds would be 2112, Hemispheres, Cygnus X-1, Natural Science, Tom Sawyer and TSOR (though the last two are classics, I'm a little tired of hearing them)
  • Like 1

I love Tai Shan almost as much as I love 2112. Its underrated, beautiful and delicately melodic.

So, crack IS available in England.

Thought he said it was a delicacy...like a chicken egg roll at Panda Express...

Look I like Tai Shan but to say it's anything remotely near the level of 2112 is pure insanity....

I love everything about and every song on Hold Your Fire more than should be allowed methinks...

But yeah, I remember the first time I played the album (on vinyl I'll have you know), I dreaded this song.

And then it finished and all I could think was was that it must be trendy to hate on it as I LOVE it so much!

• Like 1

Hemispheres (of course). It was the band's most aggressive attempt at material that was at their limits of ability. While 2112 was defining in that they made themselves untouchable with it and reached a fan base on a level not done before, Hemispheres (the whole album) defined them as a band that was constantly trying to be better and push themselves to and beyond their own limits.

JMO

"LESSONS" is the BEST RUSH SONG of ALL TIME! Closely followed by "HERE AGAIN", then "Lakeside Park"...2112 and on n on.... :rush:

My favorite is 2112.

Other songs in my top 10 are Working Man, Anthem, By-Tor And The Snow Dog, The Necromancer, Xanadu, Cygnus X-1, Hemispheres, Natural Science, and Subdivisions.

Honorable mentions include Here Again, Before and After, Bastille Day, Something For Nothing, The Spirit of Radio, and Tom Sawyer.

For me, Cygnus X1 is the epitome of Rush

Geddy at his out-there best on vocals, great musical sections seamlessly woven together that compliment ( make ) a great storyline, eerie outer space vibe and narration ( I love the narration in Rush songs ) - Cygnus has it all - it even has a sequel ( that is side-long )

Cygnus X1 is the song I play for anyone who has never heard Rush - you gotta hit 'em full force

My personal favourite Rush song is Chain Lightning.

But that's just weird.

Rush have a defining moment?

Errrrrrrrm...

Of everything they have ever done, their single greatest moment for me was either 2112, the title track, or Red Barchetta, which is a movie in itself.

Unless you mean defining moment as in "their stamp on popular culture", because that leaves us with Tom Sawyer, which has never been a favourite of mine.

Edited by Segue Myles

Xanadu is certainly a top contender.

Cygnus (Book I or II, or both), Natural Science, Freewill, the 2112 suite, Headlong Flight, Open Secrets...all up there as well.

:yes:

Spirit Of The Radio is my favorite!

Great choice! Just one thing, and please don't think I'm trying to be a smarta**. It's "The Spirit of Radio." People will let you hear it if you get that wrong. Just a heads-up! :) :cheers:

• Like 1