Distant Early Warning vs Red Sector A

len(songs)

35 members have voted

1. 1. Which is better?

• Distant Early Warning
    • Red Sector A

RSA...grabs me more...deeper emotional content

Agreed. Side note.... why do the crowds cheer with RSA is played live... the pyrotechnic bang after "Shouting guards and smoking guns

will cut down the unlucky ones"? Ummmmmm..... that band symbolizes something awful, yet folks go bonkers for it. Just seems weird and uncomfortable. :scared:

Then again, I am the guy who, for years, was mortified by the UFO song "Light's Out (London)". Because I knew Michael Schenker was in the band and connected to the Scorpions, I just assumed UFO was a German band and that a German band playing that song was a little like an American band writing a song called "Sayonara Hiroshima". :blink: I was very oddly relieved when I found out UFO was actually a British band..... :oops:

• Like 1

RSA...grabs me more...deeper emotional content

Agreed. Side note.... why do the crowds cheer with RSA is played live... the pyrotechnic bang after "Shouting guards and smoking guns

will cut down the unlucky ones"? Ummmmmm..... that band symbolizes something awful, yet folks go bonkers for it. Just seems weird and uncomfortable. :scared:

Because it's awesome. I think that's one of the brilliant things about the song. Despite it's subject matter it's similtaneously dark and dramatic and upbeat and energetic which instills a sense of hope...which people going through that kind of situation needed.

And face it. Most of the audience probably doesn't even realize it's a song indirectly about the Holocaust. It sounds like a sci-fi song.

• Like 1

Blimey...I love both these songs equally (and that means A LOT), but it has to be Red Sector A.

I like RSA all right except in concert. It just brings everything to a screeching halt.

For you? I hope you're not speaking for everyone. I think that pulsing rhythm comes off better live.

Agreed.

I like RSA all right except in concert. It just brings everything to a screeching halt.

For you? I hope you're not speaking for everyone. I think that pulsing rhythm comes off better live.

It's not just my opinion, there's always a mass exodus for the restrooms when they play it.

It's not just my opinion, there's always a mass exodus for the restrooms when they play it.

That's true for most songs from 1982-1987, minus a few notable exceptions. The casual fans don't dig the synth era like the hardcore do.

• Like 1

That's true for most songs from 1982-1987, minus a few notable exceptions. The casual fans don't dig the synth era like the hardcore do.

I would agree. I know Territories was another one.

• Like 1

It was just 3 or 4 songs into the concert, and the beer lines were filling.

Red Sector A is one of the gaffes songs I could hear every tour and be ecstatic. The emotions of the lyrics are perfectly matched by the key signature and the pulse of the keyboard bass, the groove is dark and the chord work by alex is fantastic. The song simply has more to offer than Distant Early Warning
  • Like 1

Again, the "better beer" line makes people thirsty...

• Like 2

I was straight giddy when they played Territories on the last tour. But I am also a social studies nerd (my undergrad was a double in History and Political Science). The lyrics of that song are, in my opinion, one of Neils' better efforts.... "We see so many tribes overrun and undermined while their invaders dream of lands they've left behind. Better people...better food...and better beer...Why move around the world when Eden was so near?" There is a social eloquence there that carries a powerful message but doesn't come off as preachy as some of his other stuff. Then again, I am also not a synth era hater so any of that stuff is fine with me.

Again, the "better beer" line makes people thirsty...

Although I disagree.... nicely done.