Not many U2 fans here I think ?

toscanobarga

I'm listening to a preview of the new album on iTunes. Sadly, it doesn't even grab me enough to download the thing for free. What I'm listening to holds no resemblance to the U2 I used to know in the early 80s. Even Edge's distinctive jangly guitar is gone.

It sucks to see bands you used to love release stuff you don't like :(

One of the big reasons I love Rush so much. They have stayed true to their craft while not allowing their sound to get stale. Just an amazing feat! Too bad U2 couldn't do that. We've gotten 20 years of them going through the motions and polishing the same turd over and over again. :(

Aerosmith is even worse than U2 with Tyler on Amercian Idol and performing with N Stink and Britney at the Super Bowl.

I'm listening to a preview of the new album on iTunes. Sadly, it doesn't even grab me enough to download the thing for free. What I'm listening to holds no resemblance to the U2 I used to know in the early 80s. Even Edge's distinctive jangly guitar is gone.

One of the big reasons I love Rush so much. They have stayed true to their craft while not allowing their sound to get stale. Just an amazing feat! Too bad U2 couldn't do that. We've gotten 20 years of them going through the motions and polishing the same turd over and over again. :(

Aerosmith is even worse than U2 with Tyler on Amercian Idol and performing with N Stink and Britney at the Super Bowl.

Yes, they both suck balls, but Aerosmith is more of a sell out.
  • Like 2

Every Rush fan's favorite magazine, Rolling Stone, gave Songs of Innocence a 5-star review.

Link: http://www.rollingst...ocence-20140911

iTunes is giving it away and I'll take it.

I was a huge fan up until Achtung Baby. Still consider myself a moderate fan.

I certainly don't hate U2 or Songs of Innocence. I just can't take the hype. Everything U2 has done since the early 1990's seems overwrought and overhyped. Plus the fact that they have been musically treading water since the same time.

I saw them at MSG for the Achtung Baby tour. Great experience. By the time I saw them on the Popmart Tour at Giants Stadium (half empty, by the way) I was done.

They were a once great band that is now a mediocre band that many still want to be great. Although, concert wise, I'm sure they still put on a great show.

I definitely agree they need to stop with the stadium shows. I did see Achtung Baby at Angels Stadium but I was 3rd row from the stage so it didn't suck.

ZooTV was an event. I was rin a similar spot, festival style, standing a couple of rows back at the smaller acoustic stage the had set up. The band is about 30 min into the act and my wife says "I can't see." we end up moving back to some nosebleed seats (Oakland Coliseum) just in time for the acoustic set. I realize we would have been about ten feet from the band and...well... :facepalm:

Just saw Aerosmith a few weeks ago. They still bring it live.

I really loved this band in the early 80's and here's why.

http://youtu.be/94E4xKqVKi4

At that time you could belive they were honest, pure and meant what they said, because you and me both were in our years when you NEED to believe there's someone out there honest, pure and meaning what he says. Nowadays, they (and Sting) are the epitome of hipocrisy to me.

• Like 5

I really loved this band in the early 80's and here's why.

http://youtu.be/94E4xKqVKi4

THIS is the U2 I know and love! They were such an incredible live band. What they lacked in musicianship they more than made up for with their passion,intensity, and ability to connect with the audience.

Here's my favourite song of theirs:

• Like 2

I'd need a barf bag if they played any material after Draw The Line.
  • Like 1

They were a once great band that is now a mediocre band that many still want to be great. Although, concert wise, I'm sure they still put on a great show.

No sadder words. It is unfortunate that they apply to more than a few once great bands still doing tours because they need the money.

I'd need a barf bag if they played any material after Draw The Line.

Night in the Ruts is a very good album.

• Like 1

So.... I listened to Songs of Innocence. The first five songs are... stupid... for lack of a better word. Volcano and Raised by Wolves on first listen are kind of weird. The next few songs are ok, and I felt like This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now had potential but it never seemed to take off. The Troubles is the best track. Sucks I listened to the enitre thing before I got to it. As a whole, it's not horrible. I've definitely heard worse. But, I'll stick to listening to The Unforgettable Fire from now until I get old and go deaf. Now THAT is an outstanding U2 album.
  • Like 2

So.... I listened to Songs of Innocence. The first five songs are... stupid... for lack of a better word. Volcano and Raised by Wolves on first listen are kind of weird. The next few songs are ok, and I felt like This Is Where You Can Reach Me Now had potential but it never seemed to take off. The Troubles is the best track. Sucks I listened to the enitre thing before I got to it. As a whole, it's not horrible. I've definitely heard worse. But, I'll stick to listening to The Unforgettable Fire from now until I get old and go deaf. Now THAT is an outstanding U2 album.

I've been a fan of the band from the very beginning. It all happened accidentally 1981 when a friend said ive got tickets to a show to see the U2, I thought he said B52s so I said yes! Not a huge B52 fan just wanted to see something different. I went with this being like bday gift it being in early march and then this Irish band comes out. After being properly influence with earthly herbs this band comes out and it ain't the B52s. Well as it goes U2 stole the show and me too. I said at the time this band will go somewhere that lead singer is something else live. I had no clue that was their 5th or 6th show in the US I believe at the time.

I followed them since but hit a lull starting with JT when so many fans jump aboard and my little secret underground band was gone. Disliked seeing them on the cover of Time mag. Then hit a huge lull after AB/ZTV album/tour their last masterpiece AB (Ive hit a lull with Rush too) till the recent 360 Tour. Even though I only missed the Pop Mart tour I followed then just not as huge till after TUF.

That said the band is or will be instrumental in the world of rock music. Their innovative methods in the charity work some their tour money is used for, their stadium concert staging is probably the best in the world and this deal with iTunes I think is brilliant in Many ways said in this thread already. As for the new album after listening to it many times now after MY LULL lull, this album is one of their best the more one listens.

Keep in mind I've history with the band I really like the album as to me it appears an attempt was made to go back to their beginning. Which is fine I do wish The Edge used more punch/edgy guitar playing on some of the songs like they did on their first 3 albums. My favorite so far "this Is Where You Can Reach Me Now" the last song "Troubles". Looking forward to the tour next year, I just hope they don't try to top the 360 tour because I don't think it can be. The album songs will really resonate in the live form with Bono's magical ways of presentation. Not bad for my second favorite rock band behind you know who.

Peace

• Like 1

Album is very average. I am a long time U2 fan.

1. Achtung baby

2. Joshua Tree

3. Unforgettable Fire

4. War

Hands down for me the pinnacle of their creative brilliance. After Achtung baby.....it's been a rough ride. I do like All That You Can Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb....but Zooropa and Pop....meh. No Line on The Horizon get's a lot of flack but I actually enjoyed it...except the mix was brick walled.

The new one is very average and for me tracks 4,5,6,7 is the strong point....but still forgettable. The hooks sound forced and contrived. I do not hear any soul in this stuff. It sounds like filler for the most part. Hope next year the next album is far stronger than this rushed and half realized effort.

Edited by Todem

Album is very average. I am a long time U2 fan.

1. Achtung baby

2. Joshua Tree

3. Unforgettable Fire

4. War

Hands down for me the pinnacle of their creative brilliance. After Achtung baby.....it's been a rough ride. I do like All That You Can Leave Behind and Atomic Bomb....but Zooropa and Pop....meh. No Line on The Horizon get's a lot of flack but I actually enjoyed it...except the mix was brick walled.

The new one is very average and for me tracks 4,5,6,7 is the strong point....but still forgettable. The hooks sound forced and contrived. I do not hear any soul in this stuff. It sounds like filler for the most part. Hope next year the next album is far stronger than this rushed and half realized effort.

Same here just switch 2&3

Listened to it a few more times...it'd a dud for sure.

Won't ever listen to it again. Glad it was free...I would not pay for it.

• Like 1