Favorite Stanley Kubrick film

savagegrace26

What is your Favorite Stanley Kubrick film?  

40 members have voted

1. 1. What is your Favorite Stanley Kubrick film?

• Fear and Desire
    • Killer's Kiss
    • The Killing
    • Paths of Glory
    • Spartacus
    • Lolita
    • Dr Strangelove
    • 2001: A Space Odyssey
    • A Clockwork Orange
    • Barry Lyndon
    • The Shining
    • Full Metal Jacket
    • Eyes Wide Shut

My answer's in my avatar

I didn't see that as a choice in the poll.... :huh: Edited by Narpski

Of the ones I've seen, I voted Spartacus.

Kubrick pretty much "disowned" Spartacus. He was pretty much a hired-gun director for that film and didn't have much creative control over it as he did on all of his other films. I don't really consider it a Kubrick film but included it anyway.

• Like 1

2001 is the best science fiction film of all time in my book. Dude made that in '65 and still seems plausible. He elevated horror to new heights with The Shining. Barry Lyndon is UNDERRATED. However, Paths of Glory and Dr. Strangelove are my absolute favs.

Kubrick was THE standard. Check out the documentary "A Life in Pictures"--very informative

Edited by Tombstone Mountain
  • Like 2

Kubrick pretty much "disowned" Spartacus. He was pretty much a hired-gun director for that film and didn't have much creative control over it as he did on all of his other films. I don't really consider it a Kubrick film but included it anyway.

That's goofy because I think it's a great movie. I guess if I were to pick a second choice it would probably be Barry Lyndon.

• Like 1

That's goofy because I think it's a great movie. I guess if I were to pick a second choice it would probably be Barry Lyndon.

I think Spartacus is good but it's not as unique or original as his other films. It's a pretty straightforward epic although one of the better ones, Kubrick had many limitations while directing it. Kirk Douglas had the power on that one (he hired Kubrick after the original director was fired after a week or so). It's not a project that Kubrick started from the ground up like all of his others. He was brought onto it and while his style is there in parts he had little contribution to the writing (he did not like the screenplay at all) or the really big production decisions.

Edited by savagegrace26
  • Like 1

The Shining

I'll go with this one ^^^^. I have seen it and A Clockwork Orange.....

2001 is an absolute vision. Gotta see it. Like most Rush albums it grows on you. So far ahead of its time. The visual elements marry perfectly with the soundtrack.

• Like 2

The Shining

2001 is an absolute vision. Gotta see it. Like most Rush albums it grows on you. So far ahead of its time. The visual elements marry perfectly with the soundtrack.

It is, and you have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. It's not something you want to watch while high on a bunch of caffeine. :LOL:

• Like 1

The Shining

It is, and you have to be in the right frame of mind to watch it. It's not something you want to watch while high on a bunch of caffeine. :LOL:

That colorful psychedelic speed thingy is visually stunning. I think that's where R Crumb's Fritz The Cat movie got their idea from during one scene.

The Shining

That colorful psychedelic speed thingy is visually stunning. I think that's where R Crumb's Fritz The Cat movie got their idea from during one scene.

Which scene do you mean? I haven't seen the movie in a few years.

The Shining

Which scene do you mean? I haven't seen the movie in a few years.

It's when Dave is travelling through it and all these colorful lights zoom past all over the place, and he finally ends up in this big house all in white.

Spartacus

But I also really love AI: Artificial Intelligence, which is, although technically a Spielberg movie, has his fingerprints all over it.