Awesome Star Trek gifs

tx_rush

Actually one of the shows he came back in was exceptional: The First Duty. It was about a starfleet academy training excercise gone wrong and Wesley took part in a cover up. Bonus geek info: Robert Duncan Macneil is also in this and would later go on to play Tom Paris on Voyager.

Double down geek bonus info, Robert Duncan McNeill was actually cast to reprise the role of Nick Locarno (from The First Duty) in Star Trek: Voyager. Unfortunately, the producers felt that Locarno was too unforgivable, so the character's name was changed to Tom Paris, and his backstory was altered to reflect some other sordid past. But the pieces are all still there: he's a top-notch pilot, he's got a shady history, he's not trusted by other Starfleet officers in the beginning, and his early story arc is one of absolution in the face of negative perceptions. They are essentially the same character, with minor details changed because of meddling producers.

Too bad, really... he would've been a much more powerful character with the established history from TNG. We, the viewer- especially the knowledgeable Trekkies among us- would start with the same biases against him that the rest of the crew did. And we would have to judge his absolution for ourselves. The way they did it, with his past crimes being faceless and meaningless to us, he seems like a good guy who's been railroaded for no reason. It's a really weak way of presenting a potentially interesting character's development.

Agreed. The unspecified crimes and writing for the character really felt like he was just a frat boy who pissed off the authorities as opposed to some hardened criminal.

• Like 1

Actually one of the shows he came back in was exceptional: The First Duty. It was about a starfleet academy training excercise gone wrong and Wesley took part in a cover up. Bonus geek info: Robert Duncan Macneil is also in this and would later go on to play Tom Paris on Voyager.

Double down geek bonus info, Robert Duncan McNeill was actually cast to reprise the role of Nick Locarno (from The First Duty) in Star Trek: Voyager. Unfortunately, the producers felt that Locarno was too unforgivable, so the character's name was changed to Tom Paris, and his backstory was altered to reflect some other sordid past. But the pieces are all still there: he's a top-notch pilot, he's got a shady history, he's not trusted by other Starfleet officers in the beginning, and his early story arc is one of absolution in the face of negative perceptions. They are essentially the same character, with minor details changed because of meddling producers.

Too bad, really... he would've been a much more powerful character with the established history from TNG. We, the viewer- especially the knowledgeable Trekkies among us- would start with the same biases against him that the rest of the crew did. And we would have to judge his absolution for ourselves. The way they did it, with his past crimes being faceless and meaningless to us, he seems like a good guy who's been railroaded for no reason. It's a really weak way of presenting a potentially interesting character's development.

Agreed. The unspecified crimes and writing for the character really felt like he was just a frat boy who pissed off the authorities as opposed to some hardened criminal.

That would have been WAY better. Now if they only did that and give Chakotay some balls (and get rid of Torres) Voyager would have been a much better show.

That would have been WAY better. Now if they only did that and give Chakotay some balls (and get rid of Torres) Voyager would have been a much better show.

The premise of Voyager was good, but none of the characters reflected what they were supposed to be. The Macquis didn't act like terrorists. With one or two exceptions acted like your average person with opposing political viewpoints. As a result there was little to no conflict between the two sides.

Like you mentioned, Chakotay had no balls. Torres...oh god...

Janeway didn't help by being a massive hypocrite. The prime directive must never be violated...unless it suits me. There is a fan theory that says Janeway is a power hungry lunatic who intentionally strands the crew in the delta quadrant in the first episode simply for the chance at undisputed power over the crew.

Also...how the f**k did Harry Kim become a bridge officer? He's not only an ensign, but a complete dolt. So what they're saying is that every other officer died that they had to resort to that fool becoming the tactical officer. I'm sure he was at the very bottom of the chain of command (right below the ship computer) when Voyager left DS9.

The premise of Voyager was good, but none of the characters reflected what they were supposed to be. The Macquis didn't act like terrorists. With one or two exceptions acted like your average person with opposing political viewpoints. As a result there was little to no conflict between the two sides.

Janeway didn't help by being a massive hypocrite. The prime directive must never be violated...unless it suits me. There is a fan theory that says Janeway is a power hungry lunatic who intentionally strands the crew in the delta quadrant in the first episode simply for the chance at undisputed power over the crew.

Also...how the f**k did Harry Kim become a bridge officer? He's not only an ensign, but a complete dolt. So what they're saying is that every other officer died that they had to resort to that fool becoming the tactical officer. I'm sure he was at the very bottom of the chain of command (right below the ship computer) when Voyager left DS9.

Well if you remember, towards the very beginning of the series there was one scene where a Maquis was acting up and not following Janeway's orders and said something like "We should do this the maquis way instead" and Chakotay said "oh yeah?" and slugged his ass, knocking him to the ground. "Is this better? This is the maquis way!" or something like that. See THAT was awesome. But holy crap what happened to Chakotay was instead they made him a pansy. Maybe they did this so he wouldn't overshadow Janeway's authority?

There was one character- I don't remember his name but I swear he had all black eyes / pupils- and he was a stowaway murderer from the maquis in the 1st or 2nd season. See THAT was interesting.

Wait, here he is take a look:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080712162956/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/d/df/LonSuder.jpg/292px-LonSuder.jpg

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

I actually think Janeway's irratic behavior is pretty well explained as the symptoms of Post Traumatic Stress, and the compounding guilt of her crew's harships in the Delta quadrant. Where they dropped the ball is in their failure to confront those issues in the writing. Janeway was ultimately a poorly written character, but any semblence of likability and relatability was saved by a great performance from Kate Mulgrew. She did a fantastic job developing that character in spite of bad writing.

I liked Chakotay how he was, I just wish they would've used him more. He was best as Janeway's conscience when she was in her most erratic moments. I think back to Scorpion and Equinox- where they were really at odds, and Chakotay was very solid in those episodes.

The one thing that Voyager truly lacked, that would've made the show infinitely better; was the idea of permanence. We got a taste of that with the Year of Hell two-parter. The ship would take a severe beating one week, and then next week, things are running at 96% effeciency and the crew is having drinks at the pub in Fairhaven. It would've been nice to see the ship deteriorate for long periods of time, to see uniforms go ragged, and to see conduits and bulkheads hanging open in the corridors... at least during the more chaotic story arcs.

The Lon Suder story was a great early arc... A psychopathic murderer who, with the help of Tuvok, experiences some sense of genuine rehabilitation... to watch as this crew needs to figure out how to deal with him; and to have the story culminate in his redemption through self-sacrifice was perfect. I believe Voyager's early episodes were actually some of their best, and the Suder story is a prime example of that.

• Like 2

Well if you remember, towards the very beginning of the series there was one scene where a Maquis was acting up and not following Janeway's orders and said something like "We should do this the maquis way instead" and Chakotay said "oh yeah?" and slugged his ass, knocking him to the ground. "Is this better? This is the maquis way!" or something like that. See THAT was awesome. But holy crap what happened to Chakotay was instead they made him a pansy. Maybe they did this so he wouldn't overshadow Janeway's authority?

There was one character- I don't remember his name but I swear he had all black eyes / pupils- and he was a stowaway murderer from the maquis in the 1st or 2nd season. See THAT was interesting.

Wait, here he is take a look:

http://img3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20080712162956/memoryalpha/en/images/thumb/d/df/LonSuder.jpg/292px-LonSuder.jpg

Lon Suder! I'm sure the actor was Brad Dourif.

There was one gif that made me laugh: the one where Picard poked Riker in the chest, boobies sprouted up. When he poked him again, the boobies vanished.

:LOL:

That's a good one. :)

There was one gif that made me laugh: the one where Picard poked Riker in the chest, boobies sprouted up. When he poked him again, the boobies vanished.

:LOL:

That's a good one. :)

I know! :D

• Like 1

Darmok is my favourite TNG episode.

The one where Kirk kisses Uhura is my favourite TOS episode, followed by the one with Khan.

Suder was easily one of my favourite charactors and story arcs of the Voyager series.

I liked the Enterprise episodes where they explain how the Klingons looked the way they did in TOS.

I don't remember enough of DS9 to say what's my favourite...

I like pretty much all the movies, even the newest one.... though I think some are better than others....

I think "In the Pale Moonlight" is the best DS9 episode and arguably one of the best episodes Star Trek has to offer.

http://youtu.be/K-YyL7X4CWw

EDIT: grammar correction

Edited by USB Connector
  • Like 1

I think "In the Pale Moonlight" is the best DS9 episode and arguably one of the best episodes Star Trek has to offer.

Great episode! I know some people didn't like the war storyline, but I thought it was great. Gave the actors a chance to really give their characters some depth.

• Like 1

I got completely confused with DS9, what with Sisko's hair and beard swapping places at odd times, something about an Emissary, some chick played by the one who played Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and whether or not Sisko died. I lost the plot and the patience at some point or another, and never finished it.

I got completely confused with DS9, what with Sisko's hair and beard swapping places at odd times, something about an Emissary, some chick played by the one who played Nurse Ratched in One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, and whether or not Sisko died. I lost the plot and the patience at some point or another, and never finished it.

The whole emissary thing took a huge back seat for the majority of the series and then came back in the last season, which is about when Rick Berman went insane and writing nonsense for pretty much everything. If you stopped there you really didn't miss anything.

• Like 1

YES +1000

DS9 has so many awesome episodes, it's hard to list them all but here's some personal favorites:

The Visitor

Homecoming / Circle / Siege trilogy to open up Season 2

The Emissary (pilot)

Defiant (w/ Tom Riker stealing the Defiant to expose a Spoonhead plot)

Children of Time

Duet

Captive Pursuit

Visionary (O'Brien keeps time shifting and has to warn his past self about the station's upcoming destruction)

Blood Oath (w/ 3 Klingons from TOS)

Cardassians (Bajorans + War Orphans, good one)

The Assignment (Keiko gets possessed by a Pah Wraith and has O'Brien sabotaging the station)

Necessary Evil

Improbable Cause / The Die is Cast (Tal Shi'ar + Obsidian Order taking an offensive to the Dominion)

Favor the Bold

But honestly, there's so many good episodes for DS9. While the show overall got progressively better season to season I really think some of the earlier ones were the best (Season 2 in particular).

Edited by Del_Duio
  • Like 1

The whole emissary thing took a huge back seat for the majority of the series and then came back in the last season, which is about when Rick Berman went insane and writing nonsense for pretty much everything. If you stopped there you really didn't miss anything.

Agreed. Every now and then you'll see Kira mention it though. Example: I'm rewatching the series now and there's a season 4 episode where Sisko gets hurt and might die. She says she can't see him as anything other than the Emissary and how important he is to their people.

Yeah but it's fleeting and those are easy to understand. By then Cisco has done a ton for Beyjor which seems to fall in line with some prophicies and that there are some orbs left over from some super advanced aliens who live in the wormhole which the Beyjorans consider to be gods. That's pretty much the extent of what you need to know until season 7... with the exception of maybe one episode per season that's centered around the religion.

Here's a bold statement.

Season for season, Enterprise is just as good as DS9.

Seasons 1 and 2 are shaky... maybe a little sub par for Trek. Season 3 begins to find its footing and develop an identity. Season 4 is simply fantastic, aside from the finale.

It's just too bad Enterprise never got seasons 5, 6 and 7.

Edited by KenJennings
  • Like 2

Here's a bold statement.

Seasons 1 and 2 are shaky... maybe a little sub par for Trek. Season 3 begins to find its footing and develop an identity. Season 4 is simply fantastic, aside from the finale.

I think people had an issue with Scott Bakula being the captain. I didn't really want to watch it due to that, and I have heard other people say that as well.

Here's a bold statement.

I agree. It took two seasons for them to get the writing just right and for Bakula to get used to being a Captain. Once the show got its footing it was pretty great.

The first two seasons Bakula was a nervous pushover whose tagline was "That's an order"....no kidding? The Captain asked you to do something while on duty. What do you think it was?

• Like 1

I agree with the criticisms of Bakula. I really don't think he hit his stride until the very end of the series. Incidentally, I've always thought that Bakula's current NCIS counterpart, Mark Harmon, would've been a much better "John Archer" if he had been available/interested at the time.
  • Like 2