Best Song from Worst Album?

antiquark

I've posted before about this, but HYF was the album that caused me to stop listening to Rush for about 15 years. It was not at all the Rush I had come to know and love during the first half of the 80s (I discovered the band in 1980 and loved everything they did from FBN to p/g). I didn't care for Power Windows when it was released but gave them another chance. When HYF came out it meant my favourite band, the band who had previously released a lot of hard, complex, and non-mainstream music was now playing middle-of-the road mainstream pop which I did not like at all, and I had no reason to believe they would ever stop playing that sort of music, so I stopped listening to them.

So yeah, I like zero songs on HYF.

x1yyz, I had a very similar experience. I discovered Rush in or around '81 and fell in love with their entire catalog. But when I brought home Hold Your Fire in September 1987 and listened to it, I chucked it. I proclaimed "modern" Rush dead to me, and I stopped following them until a friend loaned me Test For Echo a full decade later. Tracks like Time and Motion, Driven, and Virtuality gave me hope, so I went back and explored what I had missed.

I quickly determined I didn't miss anything.

PS: I have long since been enamored with Hold Your Fire...

• Like 1

I've posted before about this, but HYF was the album that caused me to stop listening to Rush for about 15 years. It was not at all the Rush I had come to know and love during the first half of the 80s (I discovered the band in 1980 and loved everything they did from FBN to p/g). I didn't care for Power Windows when it was released but gave them another chance. When HYF came out it meant my favourite band, the band who had previously released a lot of hard, complex, and non-mainstream music was now playing middle-of-the road mainstream pop which I did not like at all, and I had no reason to believe they would ever stop playing that sort of music, so I stopped listening to them.

So yeah, I like zero songs on HYF.

x1yyz, I had a very similar experience. I discovered Rush in or around '81 and fell in love with their entire catalog. But when I brought home Hold Your Fire in September 1987 and listened to it, I chucked it. I proclaimed "modern" Rush dead to me, and I stopped following them until a friend loaned me Test For Echo a full decade later. Tracks like Time and Motion, Driven, and Virtuality gave me hope, so I went back and explored what I had missed.

I quickly determined I didn't miss anything.

PS: I have long since been enamored with Hold Your Fire...

HYF was about as far from where they started from as they could get. When it came out it sounded very influenced by modern pop/rock. Like Rush had mated with Tears For Fears.

Edited by EagleMoon
  • Like 1

Worst Album: Snakes & Arrows

Best Song: We Hold On

I wouldn't say this today. Snakes isn't their worst album, and I'm not sure they have one single worst album. Just albums that aren't as good as other Rush albums.

That's true. "Worst" for me mostly means it just doesn't fit my personal tastes as much as other Rush albums. There are good to gem songs on every album, imo.

• Like 1

Like Rush had mated with Tears For Fears.

I've got the weirdest boner.

"The Weirdest Boner" would be an interesting band name. :scared: :LOL:

Or it could be the title of Rush's next instrumental. Followed by another one on the same album called "Get That Thing Away From Me". :P
  • Like 1

Worst Album: Snakes & Arrows

Best Song: We Hold On

I wouldn't say this today. Snakes isn't their worst album, and I'm not sure they have one single worst album. Just albums that aren't as good as other Rush albums.

That's true. "Worst" for me mostly means it just doesn't fit my personal tastes as much as other Rush albums. There are good to gem songs on every album, imo.

I agree.

My choice for worst album is a tossup between Presto, Roll the Bones, and Counterparts. Depends on the day. Today it's Counterparts, so I'll go with Animate.

That or "Leave That Thing Alone". It has no lyrics, which makes it better than most songs on Counterparts by default.

• Like 1