Which Album Would You Say Fans Underrate The Most?

Segue Myles

Most Underrated Album Amongst Fans?  

66 members have voted

1. 1. 2112-MP are exempt as they are generally regarded as indisputable masterpieces:

• Rush
    • Fly By Night
    • Caress Of Steel
    • Signals
    • Grace Under Pressure
    • Power Windows
    • Hold Your Fire
    • Presto
    • Roll The Bones
    • Counterparts
    • Test For Echo
    • Vapor Trails
    • Snakes And Arrows
    • Clockwork Angels

Fans love Rush.

Fans know Rush.

Fans argue Rush.

And then there is Spaghetti Lee....

Anyway, which Rush album do you think has not been given the respect you think it deserves amongst the fanbase at large? I have kept off 2112-Moving Pictures because that streak seems to universally win praise and adoration, and in all honesty it could be argued every album is underrated as Rush have never quite reached the level of praise that they deserve (ie. they should be up there with the Stones, The Beatles, Zeppelin, about sixty miles higher up than U2).

My vote goes to HYF. I actually think it is the bands best album, full stop, alongside AFTK and MP.

• Like 4

I voted the debut. Never seems to get enough love. Sure, it's not as musically adventurous as what followed, but it's more than made up for by the passion with which it is played.

But I agree with you, Segue. HYF is a great album, and tends to get a lot of hate.

Edited by Your_Lion
  • Like 7

I voted the debut. Never seems to get enough love. Sure, it's not as musically adventuress as what followed, but it's more than made up for by the passion with which it is played.

But I agree with you, Segue. HYF is a great album, and tends to get a lot of hate.

The debut is fantastic! Alex in particular is on top form!

I voted the debut. Never seems to get enough love. Sure, it's not as musically adventurous as what followed, but it's more than made up for by the passion with which it is played.

I can't get enough of it. Who can resist China singing? I know I can't, especially during the peaceful days of harvest time.

• Like 5

Fly By Night is underrated IMO. I think a case could be made for HYF and Presto. COS is excellent, but I feel a majority of die hard Rush fans give it the credit it deserves
  • Like 1

Even among fans, HYF is almost universally panged as the "that was their peak synth album, and we're glad that they 'went back to their old style' after that" album. There's just some brilliant stuff on there.
  • Like 2

^^^^This and this guy knows his sh*t. If the TRF is any indication of how the majority of Rush fans feel then I know its the debut......
  • Like 2

Even among fans, HYF is almost universally panged as the "that was their peak synth album, and we're glad that they 'went back to their old style' after that" album. There's just some brilliant stuff on there.

Your avatar is killer btw.... :cheers: Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

When I first read the topic I thought HYF. Then I started thinking that it seems that HYF gets a lot more love than T4E. I think T4E is a much better album than people give it credit for. Songs like T4E, Totem, Half the World, Color of Right, Resist, Driven, and Time and Motion are all great songs.
  • Like 7

HYF is definitely underrated, but since a lot of folks are carrying the flag for that already, I went with Snakes & Arrows. Everyone seems to dump on this album and I think it's fantastic. Far Cry and Workin' Them Angels were instant classics for me. All three instrumentals are good (and two of them are short and to the point). There may be a clunker or two (Good News First!!!), and Armor and Sword could have gotten its point across in about two fewer minutes. Faithless and The Way the Wind Blows may be my two favorites on the album (but hey, I agree with Neil's position in a lot of these lyrics...I guess they're not for everyone).
  • Like 1

Fans love Rush.

Fans know Rush.

Fans argue Rush.

Anyway, which Rush album do you think has not been given the respect you think it deserves amongst the fanbase at large? I have kept off 2112-Moving Pictures because that streak seems to universally win praise and adoration, and in all honesty it could be argued every album is underrated as Rush have never quite reached the level of praise that they deserve (ie. they should be up there with the Stones, The Beatles, Zeppelin, about sixty miles higher up than U2).

My vote goes to HYF. I actually think it is the bands best album, full stop, alongside AFTK and MP.

I don't think you know what "full stop" means :D

• Like 3

I think that T4E or RTB are the most underrated by fans, but I went with T4E because RTB at least gets love for the Dreamline and Ghost of a Chance...huge hits within and without the fan base. I think that CoS is criminally underrated, but many die hards like myself have it near the top of the list, so it is less underrated than those for me.
  • Like 2

Fans love Rush.

Fans know Rush.

Fans argue Rush.

lol ah that made me laugh.

Mick

I also said HYF. Beautiful, beautiful album with plenty of "prog" moments Edited by Geddy's Soul Patch

Fans love Rush.

Fans know Rush.

Fans argue Rush.

My vote goes to HYF. I actually think it is the bands best album, full stop

A teachable moment for young Segue. Maybe this will help..... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

As TRF's official Vapor Trails ambassador I have voted for it! VT is the monumental return of a band from an unintentional retirement, and they came back in all their glory. It's got a touch of their older sound, a bit of a new, albeit retro, sound (How it Is), and some really fantastic riffs (like in Earthshine). Maybe it has some production issues, but the album is more than just the recorded songs; the songs are great aside from that. (And some people aren't bothered by the production so it becomes a non-issue.)

I say VT is the most underrated because too many true Rush fans discount is based on the production alone, without taking into account the strength of the songs. Plus, real Rush music has balls, and VT has more than their other mid-80s to late 90s albums.

• Like 6

I forgot VT! It's probably second or third underratedness-wise; HYF still takes first...

I am not so sure about VT. It seems folks either love it or it unlistenable..... :huh:

I forgot VT! It's probably second or third underratedness-wise; HYF still takes first...

I am not so sure about VT. It seems folks either love it or it unlistenable..... :huh:

I know you despise the production, but you even think the songwriting is good right? You could consider it underrated...I think haha
  • Like 1

I can't vote for just one. I'd say Roll the Bones and Test for Echo. Lots of great songs that don't start with D on these albums. Also, Presto. Lots of hate around here for that one.
  • Like 2

Full Stop.

And also I would say Presto and Power Windows...

But Hold Your Fire is just amazing...they take every bad element of eighties music and then turn it into art..

• Like 2