Hating Neil Vs. Just Making Fun Of The Guy

ThatLightInYourEyes

Honestly, I think it's more constructive to do the latter. Any MSTies in TRF should enjoy what I did to that Morrissey Tupperware segment:

http://i1295.photobucket.com/albums/b629/Knightsaber1/tupperwareneil_zps3edbb4be.jpg

• Like 4

I hope no one who doesn't know him actually hates him but he is pretty easy to make fun of. It's interesting to compare him and his desire to not be famous with the current state of our world where we have an industry that is designed solely to make people famous. He can be a bit over the top about it but I get where he's coming from.
  • Like 11

I hope no one who doesn't know him actually hates him but he is pretty easy to make fun of. It's interesting to compare him and his desire to not be famous with the current state of our world where we have an industry that is designed solely to make people famous. He can be a bit over the top about it but I get where he's coming from.

:goodone: Best of the day! :ebert: :cheers:

• Like 2

If he hadn't wanted to be famous, he could have stuck with his farm equipment gig and just played in local bands.

• Like 1

If he hadn't wanted to be famous, he could have stuck with his farm equipment gig and just played in local bands.

Aren't we so lucky he didn't. With all the hate he gets on this board sometimes I think people forget that he is probably the most inspirational rock drummer of all time. So he has a bit different personality. Big deal. Like he says in his books, people who are not shy(or have anxiety issues) can never understand people who are. I heard an interview with Alex and Ged way back in the 80's were they talked about Neil having problems dealing with the lifestyle. I admire the guy for "having the persistence to get up and go the distance". Haters can kiss my a**.

Edited by presto123
  • Like 8

I have no problem with anybody making fun of anybody as long as they can also laugh at themselves.

That being said, I never understood why people give Neil such a hard time about not wanting to "meet the public" or be a personality. That ain't the job description.

Geddy and Alex ham it up plenty for all three of them.

• Like 12

It's just satire, folks. Besides, I think he likes it in that container. It seals out those pesky fanatics that would scare even the most stoic and jaded performer. :LOL: Edited by ThatLightInYourEyes

I have no problem with anybody making fun of anybody as long as they can also laugh at themselves.

That being said, I never understood why people give Neil such a hard time about not wanting to "meet the public" or be a personality. That ain't the job description.

Geddy and Alex ham it up plenty for all three of them.

I think that's the reason why. Because Alex and Geddy are so accessible, Neil seems like a hermit in comparison.

• Like 1

I don't think anyone hates Neil....That's a little extreme.

Me, I'm just more disappointed at him. His shyness towards fans seems really unappreciative towards them.

When are you gonna to back off

I'm just a man in a band

I should have stayed on the farm

I should have listened to my old man

You know you can't own me forever

I didn't sign up for you

I'm not a present for the fans to open

This boy's too tough to be paying RUSH dues

ahhhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So goodbye Geddy Lee road

Where the weirdos of rock n roll prowl

You can't find me in my penthouse

That's something I'll never allow

I've got a secret cabin deep in the woods

while Rush fans are speaking in code

Oh I've finally decided my future lies

Beyond the Geddy Lee road ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What do you think you'll do then

I bet that'll f**k up your day

It'll take you a couple of decades

of pharmaceutical therapy to set you on your feet again

Maybe you'll get a replacement

There's plenty like me to be found

Maybe that blue bearded fool Portnoy

Mongrels who ain't got a clue

shuffling around with the sticks

ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhh

So goodbye Geddy Lee road

Where the Rush fans of rock n roll howl

You can't join me in my penthouse

That's something I'll never allow

My posh wife and I live deep in the woods

away from the dregs of society scowls

Oh I've finally decided my future lies

Beyond the Geddy Lee road ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

• Like 9

Me, I'm just more disappointed at him. His shyness towards fans seems really unappreciative towards them.

As someone who is shy, and an introvert, and I can tell you that shyness has absolutely nothing to do with appreciativeness.

Listen to Neil's words—he has said/written multiple times just how much he appreciates fans.

• Like 7

I never understood why fans believe Neil doesn't like them or that it even seems that way. Dude writes books about his life. We know more about him than we do Geddy or Alex.

He's never been the public figure. He's made it clear before and makes it clear now. He's an introvert and likes to do his job and live his own way. I'd say he's earned it. I totally respect that.

• Like 6

Neil has shared exponentially more of his thinking than the other two via lyrics and writing. He even does just about as many interviews when they have a new album out. I find it funny that the other two glad-handing with people for 30 minutes or so prior to a show somehow makes people view them as "more accessible".

Neil is far more accessible. He just does it on his own terms. Smart guy.

• Like 7

Neil has shared exponentially more of his thinking than the other two via lyrics and writing. He even does just about as many interviews when they have a new album out. I find it funny that the other two glad-handing with people for 30 minutes or so prior to a show somehow makes people view them as "more accessible".

What I meant by more accessible was that at least Geddy and Alex have some kind of interaction with the fans directly. Neil shies away from most all fan interaction. (especially if people let him know they're fans) Yes we do know a lot about him from his books, but that doesn't make him approachable in public.

Peart seems like one of those guys who wants things on his terms and his terms only. I don't think it's being shy. It's being good enough at something to do whatever the f**k you want however the f**k you want. He's essentially part owner of a hugely successful company and if he doesn't want to shake the stockholders hands then nobody really gives a shit as long as the dividends keep rolling in.

I do get the sense that he's a bit of an asshole if he doesn't deem you worthy of his time, friends but friends on his terms. I've met successful people like that before, you don't have to be a rockstar to be prickish.

His "woe is me and my fans" schtick is f***ing retarded given what he does for a living. Deal with it like an adult. But, again, if you're good enough then you only really have to do shit you want. Like play drums, ride motorcycles and drink fine scotch. And that's kinda cool. I'm jealous....

• Like 1

Everyone should read that post. As gracious as I'm sure geddy and Alex are, they don't really engage on a meaningful level with the crowd of people that run the gauntlet before shows. Neil, on the other hand, engages with us in a very meaningful way in his lyrics and books.

• Like 4

I do get the sense that he's a bit of an asshole if he doesn't deem you worthy of his time, friends but friends on his terms.

It's the other way around. He has a problem with people deeming themselves unworthy by gushing over celebrity. I get that. I don't respect that either. Hell, he met Kevin J. Anderson from a fan mail. Almost certainly, he didn't approach Neil as "I'm your biggest fan ever". At best, that's only ever going to get you a patronizing pat on the head from anyone.
  • Like 1

I don't think it's his shyness as much as it's the way he handles himself. He tends to come across as emotionally detached from and superior to those around him, in both his manner and his writing. If he were more of a self-deprecating, down-to-earth type of shy guy, I don't think anyone would have any problem with him at all. I'm not saying that he intends to be that way, or that he's a bad person. But I can see why many people are deeply annoyed by him.

• Like 1

I don't think it's his shyness as much as it's the way he handles himself. He tends to come across as emotionally detached from and superior to those around him, in both his manner and his writing. If he were more of a self-deprecating, down-to-earth type of shy guy, I don't think anyone would have any problem with him at all. I'm not saying that he intends to be that way, or that he's a bad person. But I can see why many people are deeply annoyed by him.

There is a difference in being shy and withdrawn and loathing others that you feel are beneath you and not worth your time and trouble.....
  • Like 1