Hating Neil Vs. Just Making Fun Of The Guy

ThatLightInYourEyes

I don't think anyone hates Neil....That's a little extreme.

Me, I'm just more disappointed at him. His shyness towards fans seems really unappreciative towards them.

As someone who is shy, and an introvert, and I can tell you that shyness has absolutely nothing to do with appreciativeness.

Listen to Neil's words—he has said/written multiple times just how much he appreciates fans.

very well put! I too have always been introverted and kinda shy and I remember growing up feeling completely detached from the rest of the world. and then to have someone pick on you about it is like having dirt thrown on you when you're already in a hole.

Neil said something that I'll always remember because it's so true, "extroverts will never understand introverts". it's amazing how true that statement is. watch the Subdivisions video, I'm positive Neil wrote it about his own childhood..

me, I'll make fun of Alex for wearing that stupid hairpiece and not shaving his head like a real man!! ;)

• Like 2

Me, I'm just more disappointed at him. His shyness towards fans seems really unappreciative towards them.

I don't think it's his shyness as much as it's the way he handles himself. He tends to come across as emotionally detached from and superior to those around him, in both his manner and his writing. If he were more of a self-deprecating, down-to-earth type of shy guy, I don't think anyone would have any problem with him at all. I'm not saying that he intends to be that way, or that he's a bad person. But I can see why many people are deeply annoyed by him.

wow, you used the same word I just did. I just read your post after I posted. yes "emotionally detached" is putting it perfectly but "superior" is just people's take on it.. I know it's easy to say that.. people naturally get a little offended when someone doesn't pay proper attention to them, then this person gets labeled as a dick or snob or superior but really it's just social anxiety. think of it as a fear of people in certain situations. for someone who shares certain personality traits with Neil it's SO obvious to me. watch his RRHOF speech.. not just what he's saying but his overall demeanor. if people don't see what I see they probably never will

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

:ph34r: double post Edited by MMCXII

I do get the sense that he's a bit of an asshole if he doesn't deem you worthy of his time, friends but friends on his terms.

It's the other way around. He has a problem with people deeming themselves unworthy by gushing over celebrity. I get that. I don't respect that either. Hell, he met Kevin J. Anderson from a fan mail. Almost certainly, he didn't approach Neil as "I'm your biggest fan ever". At best, that's only ever going to get you a patronizing pat on the head from anyone.

I'll take a patronizing pat on the head from Neil anytime :), or any of them - no problem.

I do get the sense that he's a bit of an asshole if he doesn't deem you worthy of his time, friends but friends on his terms.

It's the other way around. He has a problem with people deeming themselves unworthy by gushing over celebrity. I get that. I don't respect that either. Hell, he met Kevin J. Anderson from a fan mail. Almost certainly, he didn't approach Neil as "I'm your biggest fan ever". At best, that's only ever going to get you a patronizing pat on the head from anyone.

I'll take a patronizing pat on the head from Neil anytime :), or any of them - no problem.

Does he pat in 7/4 time signature?? :eh:

• Like 4

I don't think it's his shyness as much as it's the way he handles himself. He tends to come across as emotionally detached from and superior to those around him, in both his manner and his writing. If he were more of a self-deprecating, down-to-earth type of shy guy, I don't think anyone would have any problem with him at all. I'm not saying that he intends to be that way, or that he's a bad person. But I can see why many people are deeply annoyed by him.

wow, you used the same word I just did. I just read your post after I posted. yes "emotionally detached" is putting it perfectly but "superior" is just people's take on it.. I know it's easy to say that.. people naturally get a little offended when someone doesn't pay proper attention to them, then this person gets labeled as a dick or snob or superior but really it's just social anxiety. think of it as a fear of people in certain situations. for someone who shares certain personality traits with Neil it's SO obvious to me. watch his RRHOF speech.. not just what he's saying but his overall demeanor. if people don't see what I see they probably never will

Actually, Neil's speech looked more to me like a passive-aggressive attack at the band's critics. Granted, the criticism itself was crap, so I don't blame him. As for his reputation as a snob, though, he has made disparaging statements about certain classes of people in his writing. And unless said people have been proven to be a direct threat to him, I really don't know what else to call it. :huh:

I have never nor will I ever understand this endless obsession with the fact that Neil Peart doesn't like to meet fans face to face. Who cares? The idea that he should be approachable in public or sitting around stage side giving meet and greets or that he owes his fans something tangible is, in a word, disturbing. I don't read the news every day but I sure can't remember the last time I saw where he was charged for holding a gun to someones head and making them come to a show or buy an album.

Quite frankly I'm pretty introverted, especially at work. I'm not rude to people, I just don't small talk most of them unless it's a close friend. Unfortunately I have this reputation amongst some that I'm this cold hearted son-of-a-bitch because I don't walk around radiating sunshine and talking to the world about my problems.

I think people should really learn to get over themselves. He doesn't owe any of us a damn thing. Isn't 40+ years of great and inspiring music enough?

• Like 2

As someone who is shy, and an introvert, and I can tell you that shyness has absolutely nothing to do with appreciativeness.

Listen to Neil's words—he has said/written multiple times just how much he appreciates fans.

very well put! I too have always been introverted and kinda shy and I remember growing up feeling completely detached from the rest of the world. and then to have someone pick on you about it is like having dirt thrown on you when you're already in a hole.

Neil said something that I'll always remember because it's so true, "extroverts will never understand introverts". it's amazing how true that statement is. watch the Subdivisions video, I'm positive Neil wrote it about his own childhood..

me, I'll make fun of Alex for wearing that stupid hairpiece and not shaving his head like a real man!! ;)

I love that you referenced Subdivisions. That song pretty much defines 9th-12th grade for me. One of the most emotionally captivating songs for me ever.

• Like 1

When are you gonna to back off

I'm just a man in a band

I should have stayed on the farm

I should have listened to my old man

You know you can't own me forever

I didn't sign up for you

I'm not a present for the fans to open

This boy's too tough to be paying RUSH dues

ahhhhhh ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

So goodbye Geddy Lee road

Where the weirdos of rock n roll prowl

You can't find me in my penthouse

That's something I'll never allow

I've got a secret cabin deep in the woods

while Rush fans are speaking in code

Oh I've finally decided my future lies

Beyond the Geddy Lee road ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

What do you think you'll do then

I bet that'll f**k up your day

It'll take you a couple of decades

of pharmaceutical therapy to set you on your feet again

Maybe you'll get a replacement

There's plenty like me to be found

Maybe that blue bearded fool Portnoy

Mongrels who ain't got a clue

shuffling around with the sticks

ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhh

So goodbye Geddy Lee road

Where the Rush fans of rock n roll howl

You can't join me in my penthouse

That's something I'll never allow

My posh wife and I live deep in the woods

away from the dregs of society scowls

Oh I've finally decided my future lies

Beyond the Geddy Lee road ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhh ahhhhhhhhhhhhhh

This is another masterpiece coming... :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:

I have never nor will I ever understand this endless obsession with the fact that Neil Peart doesn't like to meet fans face to face. Who cares? The idea that he should be approachable in public or sitting around stage side giving meet and greets or that he owes his fans something tangible is, in a word, disturbing. I don't read the news every day but I sure can't remember the last time I saw where he was charged for holding a gun to someones head and making them come to a show or buy an album.

I never even wanted to meet Neil in a rock 'n' roll setting.

Would I like to sit down, have coffee with him, and talk books? Politics? The world? That to me sounds like a perfect encounter with the guy. But he doesn't owe me or anyone that, or any sort of meet-and-greet.

• Like 1

I don't care at all about Neil not wanting to meet fans, more power to him. What bugs me about him is his complete and utter disdain for anything pre moving pictures
  • Like 5

I don't care at all about Neil not wanting to meet fans, more power to him. What bugs me about him is his complete and utter disdain for anything pre moving pictures

I agree. It's fine if he isn't enamored of the pre-Moving Pictures catalogue, but insulting his fans by saying he wishes the recordings that mean so much to them could be erased from history is beyond ungracious.

• Like 2

In the future, Geddy Lee doesn't like to be disturbed.

http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee41/jarg2112/f91e63a6-4cff-4aea-a744-87ef7494d5fe.jpg

• Like 4

Now that is a fair complaint! He's too critical of himself and I can kinda see what embarrasses him about some of the early stuff but dammit Neil relax!! we love it!!

• Like 4

I hope no one who doesn't know him actually hates him but he is pretty easy to make fun of. It's interesting to compare him and his desire to not be famous with the current state of our world where we have an industry that is designed solely to make people famous. He can be a bit over the top about it but I get where he's coming from.

If he hadn't wanted to be famous, he could have stuck with his farm equipment gig and just played in local bands.

Aren't we so lucky he didn't. With all the hate he gets on this board sometimes I think people forget that he is probably the most inspirational rock drummer of all time. So he has a bit different personality. Big deal. Like he says in his books, people who are not shy(or have anxiety issues) can never understand people who are. I heard an interview with Alex and Ged way back in the 80's were they talked about Neil having problems dealing with the lifestyle. I admire the guy for "having the persistence to get up and go the distance". Haters can kiss my a**.

But if it wasn't Neil RUSH wouldn't be how they are today. IMHO..

There is a difference in being shy and withdrawn and loathing others that you feel are beneath you and not worth your time and trouble.....

A card-carrying mind reader would be qualified to make that claim. Are your union dues paid up?
  • Like 2

There is a difference in being shy and withdrawn and loathing others that you feel are beneath you and not worth your time and trouble.....

A card-carrying mind reader would be qualified to make that claim. Are your union dues paid up?

Fortunately it was just a general statement. I haven't a clue if Neil thinks either way or how he truly feels about anything. Don't know him and doubt I ever will. I am bored with his writing so I don't even know or attempt to draw any conclusions from that. Honestly I could care less...
  • Like 3

Does he pat in 7/4 time signature?? :eh:

While doing a waltz pattern with his feet.

EDIT: Wear a helmet. He's known as a hard hitter.

Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 1

Does he really hate all pre-Moving Pictures material? I honestly never heard that before. Hopefully that can't really be true. How in the hell could hate 2112 or Hemishperes?
  • Like 2

Does he really hate all pre-Moving Pictures material? I honestly never heard that before. Hopefully that can't really be true. How in the hell could hate 2112 or Hemishperes?

And how could he not be embarrassed by the lyrical tripe that makes up Test for Echo?

• Like 4