Why was Aimee Mann chosen to sing on Time Stand Still?

x1yyz

Here is something I have wondered since I first heard the song: Why on Earth did Rush choose Aimee Mann to guest star on Time Stand Still? They've never had a guest singer before or since, so why did they a) decide to have a guest singer at all? and b) choose her, of all available people?

Aimee Mann is fine at what she does, but she does a completely different thing from Rush. Her band was essentially a one-hit wonder. Was Rush so desperately trying to fit in with the "new wave kids" that they just chose some cute popular chick so that they could sell more records? I really don't understand that whole thing.

http://www.bellazon.com/main/uploads/monthly_04_2007/post-8834-1175579017.jpg

"Geddy I'm ready...is time standing still yet?"

:LOL: :haz: :7up: :drool:

Gotta love that Hollow Body :P

Edited by troutman

Geddy Lee (1988): "We knew that the part she sings on was a feminine part. We didn't want to use a keyboard or have Alex or myself sing it, so we started looking for a female singer. It's a very attractive opportunity for us to work with a female singer. We just looked until we found a voice, that was suitable. In listening to Aimee's last record, we loved the way she sang, so we just asked her."
  • Like 2

Oh my Jesus.... I could use the Fred Sanford gif right about now......

Is this her nowadays?

Actually no, this wasn't her even back in the day.

She was/is hot though.

http://media.salon.com/2012/09/aimee_mann_rect.jpg

• Like 1

Geddy Lee (1988): "We knew that the part she sings on was a feminine part. We didn't want to use a keyboard or have Alex or myself sing it, so we started looking for a female singer. It's a very attractive opportunity for us to work with a female singer. We just looked until we found a voice, that was suitable. In listening to Aimee's last record, we loved the way she sang, so we just asked her."

I hope they've learned that Rush songs don't need "feminine parts."

Was the video her idea, or did our boys come up with that all on their own?

Was the video her idea, or did our boys come up with that all on their own?

Yes. As payment for her signing a few backing vocals she was given the job of band manager. Edited by Slack jaw gaze
  • Like 2

One out of 165 is a definite trend.

Actually if I remember correctly, their first choice was Chrissie Hynd from the Pretenders but she wasn't available....Aimee Mann was just starting out and was Canadian so I suppose that's why she came to their attention.

or maybe she just blew Alex.

Actually if I remember correctly, their first choice was Chrissie Hynd from the Pretenders but she wasn't available....Aimee Mann was just starting out and was Canadian so I suppose that's why she came to their attention.

or maybe she just blew Alex.

I thought she was Canadian too, but she was born and grew up in Virginia, and moved to Boston for college and her professional career. So she wasn't really Canadian.

Unless blowing Alex makes you an honorary Canadian.

She wasn't just starting out, either. Her band, Til Tuesday, had their huge hit "Voices Carry" in 1985.

Also, videos are usually some idiot director's idea. Here's a piece written by the editor of that video: Rush Job: Rush & Mr Mister

• Like 1