ESPN - Time To Revoke Its Broadcasting License?

Principled Man

I re

Gruden is the only thing keeping them afloat.

That makes it even worse..... :LOL:

I wish he were the Raiders coach again. :madra:

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Is anybody keeping track of the deadest thread getting revived? Near about 4 years or this one. smh

I posted on an Angels message board at times and the fans would always refer to it as Eastern Sports Propaganda Network. They would even focus on Red Sox and Yanks even when they were not as good as usual or, in the case of the Bobby Valentine Red Sox, terrible. Focus on winning teams, ffs. Not ratings and big cities.

Some of the commentators annoy me as well. Never liked John Kruk.

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on any ESPN channel. I want zero politics mixed in with my sports if at all possible. It's difficult to avoid altogether no matter what I choose to watch but I'm not gonna go looking for it certainly...

I can't remember the last time I watched anything on any ESPN channel. I want zero politics mixed in with my sports if at all possible. It's difficult to avoid altogether no matter what I choose to watch but I'm not gonna go looking for it certainly...

You didn't watch the first two rounds of the Masters?

I posted on an Angels message board at times and the fans would always refer to it as Eastern Sports Propaganda Network. They would even focus on Red Sox and Yanks even when they were not as good as usual or, in the case of the Bobby Valentine Red Sox, terrible. Focus on winning teams, ffs. Not ratings and big cities.

You say that, but then there are lots of playoff contending teams in baseball who draw what looks to me like between 10K and 15K to a late September game. Why should ESPN spend time talking about a successful team if the (ostensible) fans don't appear to care? ESPN makes money by selling advertising. If no one is going to watch a Padres Reds game on Sunday night (and baseball is notoriously provincial), no advertisers are going to buy time during that broadcast. People don't like to hear this, but ESPN isn't a Twitter page someone operates for their own amusement. It's a business that employs people who support their families with the paychecks they get from that business. They focus on things like Yankees Red Sox because those teams' fans watch the games and the advertisers follow.

You say that, but then there are lots of playoff contending teams in baseball who draw what looks to me like between 10K and 15K to a late September game. Why should ESPN spend time talking about a successful team if the (ostensible) fans don't appear to care? ESPN makes money by selling advertising. If no one is going to watch a Padres Reds game on Sunday night (and baseball is notoriously provincial), no advertisers are going to buy time during that broadcast. People don't like to hear this, but ESPN isn't a Twitter page someone operates for their own amusement. It's a business that employs people who support their families with the paychecks they get from that business. They focus on things like Yankees Red Sox because those teams' fans watch the games and the advertisers follow.

While I agree with what's written above, I actually don't think it's their first priority.

Do you think their wokeness is consistent with that? Because it's proving to be a major negative in terms of Disney's stock price.

Maybe their game content pays for the moralizing and pontificating but it's certainly not in the best interests of the investors, that's arguably a breach of fiduciary responsibility.

You didn't watch the first two rounds of the Masters?

Was it on ESPN lol? I watched all the early coverage on PGA tour live...

While I agree with what's written above, I actually don't think it's their first priority.

Do you think their wokeness is consistent with that? Because it's proving to be a major negative in terms of Disney's stock price.

Maybe their game content pays for the moralizing and pontificating but it's certainly not in the best interests of the investors, that's arguably a breach of fiduciary responsibility.

I agree that the politicization of the network is bad (Curt Schilling?) and if it is affecting the company's bottom line, someone should step in.

I agree that the politicization of the network is bad (Curt Schilling?) and if it is affecting the company's bottom line, someone should step in.

I don't think the dismissal of Schilling specifically hurt them, it's the constant drumbeat of wokeness from SC6, which to their credit they've pulled back from, and other members of their commentariat. Guys like Olbermann, who admittedly is a historian of sports and especially baseball non-pareil, should never have been hired, he's poison at this point.

It's more things like "somebody said a bad word" so we have to stop scoring "Around the Horn" because this is way too serious to associate with trivia like awarding points while we virtue signal regarding a problem that locker rooms are perfectly capable of dealing with that are annoying AF.

I watch virtually nothing on that channel other than live events any more though so maybe they're less political these days.

I don't think the dismissal of Schilling specifically hurt them, it's the constant drumbeat of wokeness from SC6, which to their credit they've pulled back from, and other members of their commentariat. Guys like Olbermann, who admittedly is a historian of sports and especially baseball non-pareil, should never have been hired, he's poison at this point.

It's more things like "somebody said a bad word" so we have to stop scoring "Around the Horn" because this is way too serious to associate with trivia like awarding points while we virtue signal regarding a problem that locker rooms are perfectly capable of dealing with that are annoying AF.

I watch virtually nothing on that channel other than live events any more though so maybe they're less political these days.

Other than some live games and Highly Questionable, ESPN is unwatchable.

Interestingly, even as a single guy with more time on my hands, I didn't watch anything on ESPN besides games and their Sunday football pregame and postgame.

Highly Questionable is the definition of unwatchable.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiwucG0fRM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjiwucG0fRM

I don't get the show the same way I don't get why dogs eat their own shit.

• Like 1