ESPN - Time To Revoke Its Broadcasting License?

Principled Man

So I'm on vacation this week.....staying with my cousin in Kentucky......and I have the whole downstairs to myself....(nice!).

I drag myself out of bed late this morning, and I turn on the TV. For the first time in many months, I turn the channel to ESPN .... and hold my breath.

Guess what was on? An interview with Jerry Jones......imagine that.

Maybe I'll try ESPN again next year.....maybe.....

• Like 1

Yes, I need to be reminded the Michael Sam is the "first openly gay player to ever be drafted," but that the same team cut him because they have 5 other DEs.

I need to see the small square in the upper left corner, showing Lame Kiffen calling plays for the Tide, since, I guess they don't want to focus on the defense getting passed over.

ESPN sucks.

• Like 1

I still watch it almost daily just to keep up with scores and highlights but I agree that they have issues. I really would like an option to watch highlights and see a crawl with scores and no anchors or agendas presented. The worst part is the front running. If you're team is in the race, plenty of coverage. If you're team is not in the race it's like they were disbanded unless someone makes a top play.
  • Like 1

Yes, I need to be reminded the Michael Sam is the "first openly gay player to ever be drafted," but that the same team cut him because they have 5 other DEs.

I need to see the small square in the upper left corner, showing Lame Kiffen calling plays for the Tide, since, I guess they don't want to focus on the defense getting passed over.

ESPN sucks.

Never heard that one. Everyone else probably has..... :LMAO:

I stopped watching any of their non event programming when they had that feature "Who's Now?"

Trendy garbage and faux controversy (Skip Bayless? Really?) and pandering to the lowest common denominator. They suck...

• Like 2

Gruden is the only thing keeping them afloat.

That makes it even worse.....:LOL:

• Like 2

I'm ready for Showtime and HBO to start airing college football games. Then the announcers can say what they want and the coaches don't have to sugar coat everything and/or be bleeped out.

But, yeah, I get tired of agendas, especially when the agenda is causing the problem. That's what passed me off about Michael Sam. If it was only about football, he would have been drafted higher and not cut. The media made his penis a political story and no one would draft him, except the rams, who just did it for political reasons, since they already had 5 or 6 DEs. Then they cut him.

Yeah, he'll find a team, but he lost a lot of $.

I'm ready for Showtime and HBO to start airing college football games. Then the announcers can say what they want and the coaches don't have to sugar coat everything and/or be bleeped out.

But, yeah, I get tired of agendas, especially when the agenda is causing the problem. That's what passed me off about Michael Sam. If it was only about football, he would have been drafted higher and not cut. The media made his penis a political story and no one would draft him, except the rams, who just did it for political reasons, since they already had 5 or 6 DEs. Then they cut him.

I'll disagree. He's way undersized at DE for the nfl and a bit slow for linebacker and was not high on anyone's board before he came out. I would say the only reason he will end up on a practice squad is because of the hype around his sexuality.

I'll disagree. He's way undersized at DE for the nfl and a bit slow for linebacker and was not high on anyone's board before he came out. I would say the only reason he will end up on a practice squad is because of the hype around his sexuality.

Not to mention that he's not someone you can use on STs. It's tough to keep a guy like that at the NFL level. Dozens of otherwise serviceable players are cut for the same reason.

And I bet he's making more from endorsements than anyone else drafted in the 7th round this year.

• Like 1

The only thing more lame and annoying than ESPN is every other sports network that ever existed.

How so?

The only thing more lame and annoying than ESPN is every other sports network that ever existed.

How so?

Fox Sports 1->used to be SPEED, had about 34 hours of NASCAR programming a day at one point. I think NASCAR qualifying is their premier program these days.

NBC Sports->used to be Outdoor Life or something...at least shows F1, IndyCar and hockey which I'll watch (but are a ratings basement trifecta), and the rest I wouldn't watch if you paid me. The only thing more boring than sitting in a bluff waiting for something to shoot is watching it on TV.

CBS Sports->From 6am to 5pm they are a radio station, and not a particularly good one. On Sundays their E-list former football player/pre-game hosts include Bart Scott.

How so?

Fox Sports 1->used to be SPEED, had about 34 hours of NASCAR programming a day at one point. I think NASCAR qualifying is their premier program these days.

NBC Sports->used to be Outdoor Life or something...at least shows F1, IndyCar and hockey which I'll watch (but are a ratings basement trifecta), and the rest I wouldn't watch if you paid me. The only thing more boring than sitting in a bluff waiting for something to shoot is watching it on TV.

CBS Sports->From 6am to 5pm they are a radio station, and not a particularly good one. On Sundays their E-list former football player/pre-game hosts include Bart Scott.

Yeah, they do need better programming (though they all have college football and basketball and NBCSN has the NHL). About as much as ESPN needs to fire Skip Bayless, the cast of Around the Horn and 75% of the smug moralists that make up their talking heads. Though all of that is a slight improvement over their "Who's now" feature of a few years ago.

Oh, yeah, and those other channels feature 100% less Chris Berman.

P.S. Yes, I DO concede that Francesca and Rome are on CBSSN.

Edited by laughedatbytime

I believe ESPN's problem is they are trying to make themselves a lifestyle brand and network rather than just doing their stated job. The one thing they have going for them over Fox is they don't use stupid, middle school inspired robot graphics. Oh, wait... two things.. they don't have Terry Bradshaw either.

ESPN also attempts to be socially relevant, but they really, really, really try too hard. Some of their 30 for 30 and Outside the Lines work has been very good and, truthfully, very relevant on social issues and the history of sport. But they try to extend that work into their daily broadcasts and that is just silly.

And then they get a bunch of goofball writers who want to be TV stars to sit around and yell at each other (which is actually very entertaining, but not for the reason ESPN thinks). Try this next time they have one of their talking head shows on. Grab a couple of beers and take a drink every time one of the nutso writers says something over-the-top, outlandish, ridiculous, or blatantly false. You will have a buzz by the first commercial break. You will be day drunk, napping on the couch by the end of the show.)

• Like 2

I believe ESPN's problem is they are trying to make themselves a lifestyle brand and network rather than just doing their stated job. The one thing they have going for them over Fox is they don't use stupid, middle school inspired robot graphics. Oh, wait... two things.. they don't have Terry Bradshaw either.

ESPN also attempts to be socially relevant, but they really, really, really try too hard. Some of their 30 for 30 and Outside the Lines work has been very good and, truthfully, very relevant on social issues and the history of sport. But they try to extend that work into their daily broadcasts and that is just silly.

And then they get a bunch of goofball writers who want to be TV stars to sit around and yell at each other (which is actually very entertaining, but not for the reason ESPN thinks). Try this next time they have one of their talking head shows on. Grab a couple of beers and take a drink every time one of the nutso writers says something over-the-top, outlandish, ridiculous, or blatantly false. You will have a buzz by the first commercial break. You will be day drunk, napping on the couch by the end of the show.)

:goodone:

Outside The Lines is an excellent show. When I used to watch it, it tended to focus too much on racism (IMO), but it certainly does a lot of good investigative journalism.

• Like 1

I re

That makes it even worse..... :LOL:

I wish he were the Raiders coach again. :madra:

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

• Like 2

I re

That makes it even worse..... :LOL:

I wish he were the Raiders coach again. :madra:

Be careful what you wish for, you just might get it.

Wait just a damned minute here! Gruden's the head coach of the Raiders??? I gotta watch some ESPN to catch up on things