Is Rush heavy metal?

1000ml

I want to say Prog-metal but as soon as you put Rush in a box you deny one of their greatest qualities, their ability to cross genres!

^^This. The most adept and enduring musicians are the ones who can change with the times rather than just bitch and moan about how things aren't what they used to be in music.

• Like 3

Nope not one note is what i would call metel.......but might have been for the time. But sounds nothing like metal to me.

You obviously hit 'add reply' before I did! Ya by today's standards Rush is almost closer to country than metal lol.

(Relax people I'm kidding..!)

I remember someone here sayin' it's ALL metal

Ya...............let's shred to Time Stands Still, lol

Mick

Available Light is certainly metal... :)

I've said it before. Bottom line Heavy metal is one of my least fav genres. if i thought Rush was Metal....................yea bye, lol

Mick

On a serious note I don't think I have really considered my music taste in any detailed way. I am pretty sure I don't even like what I consider heavy metal... :huh:

Edit: and yes I realize I love 70's Priest...

Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Nope not one note is what i would call metel.......but might have been for the time. But sounds nothing like metal to me.

You obviously hit 'add reply' before I did! Ya by today's standards Rush is almost closer to country than metal lol.

Mick

No doubt!

On the other hand, Rivendell makes me wanna bang my head against something lol

Edited by MMCXII
  • Like 1

I've always viewed CA as veering more towards the modern Prog-metal scene/sound. Especially BU2B and Headlong Flight.

Mick

I've said it before. Bottom line Heavy metal is one of my least fav genres. if i thought Rush was Metal....................yea bye, lol

Mick

On a serious note I don't think I have really considered my music taste in any detailed way. I am pretty sure I don't even like what I consider heavy metal... :huh:

What do you consider to be heavy metal then?

Mick

Mick

I don't know. I am so confused :smash: . For example... That thread on here with the top 100 metal songs all time. Many of those bands I and others here have never heard of. I think Budgie was in there 3 or 4 times. I wouldn't consider them metal either. The definition is just to vague..... :huh:

Mick

Mick

I don't know. I am so confused :smash: . For example... That thread on here with the top 100 metal songs all time. Many of those bands I and others here have never heard of. I think Budgie was in there 3 or 4 times. I wouldn't consider them metal either. The definition is just to vague..... :huh:

Well do you consider Iron Maiden to be metal?

Mick

Mick

Thats the first band that pops into my head when I hear the words Heavy Metal and I don't even know why. I have none of their albums and have only heard their music by accident. The music and songs I have heard don't sound like pre British Steel (Breaking The Law :facepalm: ) Priest to me..... :huh:

Mick

Mick

Thats the first band that pops into my head when I hear the words Heavy Metal and I don't even know why. I have none of their albums and have only heard their music by accident. The music and songs I have heard don't sound like pre British Steel (Breaking The Law :facepalm: ) Priest to me..... :huh:

What about Black Sabbath?

Funny you mention sabbath. I don't know if he holds this opinion now....but i heard Ozzy Osbourne say he hated the term heavy metal. that they were just a hard rock band. I heard him say that.

Mick

And Lemmy calls Motorhead just a rock n'roll band like Chuck Berry and the Rolling Stones...

Funny you mention sabbath. I don't know if he holds this opinion now....but i heard Ozzy Osbourne say he hated the term heavy metal. that they were just a hard rock band. I heard him say that.

Mick

I never thought Ozzy was that smart but I guess I was wrong. To me they are not much different than Zep and I wouldn't consider them heavy metal either. Is Cream heavy metal for Gods sake. Don't think so....

Mick

I never thought Ozzy was that smart but I guess I was wrong. To me they are not much different than Zep and I wouldn't consider them heavy metal either. Is Cream heavy metal for Gods sake. Don't think so....

Yea i just thought the ozzy comment was WAY interesting.....no disrespect to treeduck intended. I do think the metal label gets used WAY to freely. Just IMO.

Mick

Edited by bluefox4000

Ok so the band most people think invented metal isn't metal. Are we confused yet? Lol

My vote goes to Blue Cheer

Or you take it back to the Yardbirds even..?

I think the first heavy metal song was The Kinks' You Really Got Me. It's reckoned to be the first heavy metal riff anyway.

Ya maybe. This is 1965?

The question we need to ask is when did heavy metal begin? In Narp's mind maybe with Iron Maiden? :musicnote:

My mind doesn't have a clue to be honest. All the posts I have read they all seem like blues based rock to me.... :huh:
  • Like 2

I think the first heavy metal song was The Kinks' You Really Got Me. It's reckoned to be the first heavy metal riff anyway.

Oh please, not even the Van Halen version is metal haha
  • Like 1

The question we need to ask is when did heavy metal begin? In Narp's mind maybe with Iron Maiden? :musicnote:

My mind doesn't have a clue to be honest. All the posts I have read they all seem like blues based rock to me.... :huh:

So there's no such thing as as heavy metal then, it's all just an illusion? Maybe there's no such thing as hard rock, it's all just roots blues? :16ton:

• Like 1