Anybody Else Burnt Out On The Whole Catalog?

presto123

I find it kind of weird that I very rarely am in the mood to listen to Rush anymore. How many times can you hear these songs before you know every nuance, every lyric, every drum beat and fill and guitar solo. Don't get me wrong, Rush are still my fav band and always will be(heck...they are the reason I'm a musician), but that goosebump factor that attracted me to the band so long ago had been diminished somewhat by over-exposure to this great catalog. I'm sure others that have been fans since the 70's or 80's have to know what I'm talking about. I almost envy the newer Rush fans that are about to embark on the discovery.

I remember it well. Even doing odd jobs so I could get the cash to discover the next Rush album I didn't yet have and racing home wondering what amazement was soon to come forth from my stereo speakers. Losing it seems like an apt title. I can never get back the magic of discovering these songs for the first or even 20th time. LOL Taking a long break from Rush(which I'm currently in) probably helps so we'll see how it sounds once my hiatus is over. Anybody relate?

Please share your stories of first discovering Rush if you are so inclined. I like hearing about how others discovered the magic:)

• Like 4

Funny, I've just posted a thread asking how and when others discovered the magic.

i am still very much at the stage where I'm discovering it, but I'm scared that some day I will lose it. I am trying to limit how much Rush I listen to and make myself listen to other music too. Only trouble is, at the moment no other bands come close to Rush. Long may it last.

• Like 2

Funny, I've just posted a thread asking how and when others discovered the magic.

i am still very much at the stage where I'm discovering it, but I'm scared that some day I will lose it. I am trying to limit how much Rush I listen to and make myself listen to other music too. Only trouble is, at the moment no other bands come close to Rush. Long may it last.

Nice. Don't worry about getting tired with it in the future, or limiting how much you listen to for fear of that. Just enjoy it now.

• Like 1

Porcupine Tree is the only other band that has come close for me as to wanting to discover their work (which is very diverse). But I've never listened to all of their output so it's not really at the same level. When I first got into Rush I had to discover everything they did.
  • Like 3

I do treeduck. It's just that I've been a fan for so long and actually learning the stuff on drums in the mid-late 80's, I guess I had to break the songs down and analyze even more than the typical fan would. I'm currently on more of a Pop kick than anything. Not today's pop. LOL

I find it kind of weird that I very rarely am in the mood to listen to Rush anymore. How many times can you hear these songs before you know every nuance, every lyric, every drum beat and fill and guitar solo. Don't get me wrong, Rush are still my fav band and always will be(heck...they are the reason I'm a musician), but that goosebump factor that attracted me to the band so long ago had been diminished somewhat by over-exposure to this great catalog. I'm sure others that have been fans since the 70's or 80's have to know what I'm talking about.

Yup, I'm right there with you. I still list Rush as my favorite band, but the honeymoon is loooooong over.

• Like 1

Yeah is natural to become a little over-familiar with albums at times when every note of them are seared into your mind. Only full album i havent gotten a tad bored with at all is VT for some reason, probably as there's so much variety on it, and the remixed version has helped loads. I also never tire of TFOL.

The boredom thing's almost worth getting though when you not given an album play for ages and you suddenly give it a shot, reminding you how f*cking great it is.

Fan for 30+ years. Took a brief hiatus about 10 years ago as I was in many bands and was learning and getting new material in my head. When it was all there? Right back to Rush. Now learning a new song makes me feel like I did back then. Cool little bass roll, pedals I never played before, subtleties in the phrasing or whatever. Makes them feel a little new again.

Love it.

They've been my favorite band for over 20 years but I don't listen to them non stop like I did during my first few years of being a fan. I do take extended breaks from listening to them. Usually a couple times a year i'll go through a heavy Rush binge and then not bother with them again for a while unless they come out with a new album or tour. It doesn't mean that I don't like them any less then I used to, it's just I know their material so well there's no need to listen to them all the time. I like a lot of other bands to, so that makes it easier for me to go a long time without listening to Rush. They will always be my favorite band no matter what though.
  • Like 1

Some of the material is getting a little burnt out for me. But I'm currently in a phase where 98% of the time Rush is what I want to listen to. When I get on the car I never think "What song should I listen to?" No, I think " What RUSH song should I listen to?" Hahaha

I have just recently been listening to some unfamiliar Rush from the late 80's and 90's so I am in a much different position than most here. Its fresh to me... :) Edited by Narpski
  • Like 1

Sometimes it's good for me to put the studio albums aside and listen to the huge catalog of boots. There are plenty of fine recordings. This method helps me to keep things interesting and the music always shines in a different light. :rush:

this right here is why i find it odd when people say that they listen to one band. i know someone who's told me that and he only listens to Rush because he is afraid that he'll fade out of liking them if he listens to other bands. i know, it's dumb and that's a really lame reason, but to me, if you only listen to one band, you'll stop liking them much quicker. it's true, the magic fades but their music is still good nonetheless.
  • Like 6

Yeah, Rush are still my favorite band... but there are plenty of other bands I listen to regularly, so I doubt that they will get burnt out anytime soon. Actually listening to Led Zeppelin I right now :guitar:
  • Like 1

this right here is why i find it odd when people say that they listen to one band. i know someone who's told me that and he only listens to Rush because he is afraid that he'll fade out of liking them if he listens to other bands. i know, it's dumb and that's a really lame reason, but to me, if you only listen to one band, you'll stop liking them much quicker. it's true, the magic fades but their music is still good nonetheless.

I wrote this earlier....but i did that with the Beatles. listened to them forever. Every day. For years. Now i'm to the point where i still respect them. but if i never listen to them again.....i'll be just fine.

the only exception might be the white album, lol. That ones a pleasure.

Mick

• Like 2

I've never had a non-RUSH extended phase in the sense that I didn't want to hear RUSH. But I'll go on streaks where I listen exclusively to other bands (Tull, YES, AC/DC, Zeppelin) or just mixed bands. But RUSH has pretty much been a staple for 35 years now.

I get burnt on particular albums for sure.

• Like 1

No reason to get burnt out. There's lots of good music out there from other bands!

I kinda get what you're saying though. It's like going somewhere for dinner expecting steak and all you get is spaghetti..

• Like 2