5 "Signature" Rush Songs?

WorkingAllTheTime

Last night my son and I were discussing music (as we often do) and decided to come up with a "5 Signature Song" EP for various bands. The idea being any band with a long career has more than 5 songs to put on a "Greatest Hits" LP, but narrowing it down to 5 "Signature" songs - meaning the 5 that, grouped together, most effectively define the band's work for the general listening public- for an EP becomes more challenging... and entertaining. Here's the list we came up with for Rush:

* 2112 Overture/Syrinx (it's an EP and you can't fit the whole song!)

* Closer to the Heart (we debated this one for a while)

* The Spirit of Radio (probably more definitive than Tom Sawyer for many fans)

* Tom Sawyer (too obvious not to be on it)

* Subdivisions (because it is the song that launched an entire generation of Rush fans)

Obviously a very debatable topic. So, debate away folks....

• Like 3

One for each "era":

Early: 2112

Height of popularity: Tom Sawyer

80s: Subdivisions

90s: Dreamline

2000s: Far Cry (perhaps to be replaced by Headlong Flight)

• Like 1

Last night my son and I were discussing music (as we often do) and decided to come up with a "5 Signature Song" EP for various bands. The idea being any band with a long career has more than 5 songs to put on a "Greatest Hits" LP, but narrowing it down to 5 "Signature" songs - meaning the 5 that, grouped together, most effectively define the band's work for the general listening public- for an EP becomes more challenging... and entertaining. Here's the list we came up with for Rush:

* Subdivisions (because it is the song that launched an entire generation of Rush fans)

One quibble (other than focusing only on a 6-year period of the band) is the idea that Subdivision launched an entire generation of Rush fans. Remember that Signals was a huge commercial drop-off after MP, and the decline continued until RTB. I think Signals was the beginning of the end for man long time and casual fans.

It's hard to argue with the five in the OP. Just not sure how Working Man can be left off any list such as this.... :huh:
  • Like 4

One quibble (other than focusing only on a 6-year period of the band) is the idea that Subdivision launched an entire generation of Rush fans. Remember that Signals was a huge commercial drop-off after MP, and the decline continued until RTB. I think Signals was the beginning of the end for man long time and casual fans.

We talked about how compressed that list was in terms of the catalog, but really couldn't justify other songs knocking off the list we had. We eliminated Working Man because, in the end, it's not the same Rush. Nothing on Fly By Night or CoS seemed worthy enough. Likewise, although we considered some stuff from AFTK and Hemispheres (mainly Xanadu, ATFK, The Trees, and LVS), we couldn't see them bumping for the others (although LVS came in a very close second to CTTH). We also looked past Signals and considered things like DEW, The Big Money, and Time Stand Still, but had the same dilemma. Nothing from the last 20 years seemed to even be close (not that we don't like some of that work - just not at the same level for the purpose of our parameters).

In the end, we decided two things. One, Subdivisions and CTTH were the two most debatable songs on the list. Two, the list would be much less debatable if we went with a 10 song list (but that was not the point of the discussion).

As for Subdivisions/Signals, nearly anything would have been a drop off after MP, yes? The interesting thing about Signals is Subdivisions is still wildly popular with the fan base (the intro gets a very loud roar every concert I have attended and there is a reason it got an entire chapter in Beyond the Lighted Stage). Likewise, New World Man is the highest charting single the band ever had. Signals, then, is a bit of a paradox. Hated by some (mostly by those who lament the start of the synth era). Loved by others (mostly by those who were introduced to Rush by way of the synth era). Yet the album still has merit and relevance.

It's hard to argue with the five in the OP. Just not sure how Working Man can be left off any list such as this.... :huh:

We debated Working Man a lot. In the end, we agreed it is hard not to include it because it launched the band, but we decided that it sort of stands alone. The fact that Peart wasn't a part of it was one consideration. Another was the consideration that so much of their sound drastically changed after the first album and that takes away from the definitive notion of the "Signature" songs. Weird, I know. We had a lot of fun debating all this.

We debated Working Man a lot. In the end, we agreed it is hard not to include it because it launched the band, but we decided that it sort of stands alone. The fact that Peart wasn't a part of it was one consideration. Another was the consideration that so much of their sound drastically changed after the first album and that takes away from the definitive notion of the "Signature" songs. Weird, I know. We had a lot of fun debating all this.

I figured the Peart thing had much to do with it. I respectfully disagree however... :)
  • Like 1

Quick question. Has Working Man in some form or another ever not been part of their setlist?...

Quick question. Has Working Man in some form or another ever not been part of their setlist?...

Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts andTest For Echo tours.

First played again on the Vapor Trails tour after a 20 year hiatus.

Edited by mandydog
  • Like 1

Signals, Grace Under Pressure, Power Windows, Hold Your Fire, Presto, Roll The Bones, Counterparts andTest For Echo tours.

Thanks. Glad this wasn't Final Jeopardy. I would have lost... :LOL:
  • Like 2

Wasn't played on the CA tour either.

Don't I feel like a dumb @ss...
  • Like 1

Nah. It does seem like it was played way more often.

• Like 2

My :rush: card seems in jeopardy... :)
  • Like 1

I invented that term. You're welcome

Xanadu

Bytor & the Snowdog

Cygnus X1

Hemispheres

Alternate in La Vila Strangato every second night ;)

I don't care what anyone says, Rush will always be defined by their epic pieces. When Rush ruled the world, that was their signature formula. 15 min tunes, heavy guitar, taurus pedals, ripping solos, and a spattering of synths. Spirit of Radio is a great song but it certain is far from defining the sound of the band.

I am pretty sure Art Flemming era was on before you were born... :huh: :)
  • Like 1

I am pretty sure Art Flemming era was on before you were born... :huh: :)

Art Lemming? Who dat?

The Spirit Of Radio

Tom Sawyer

Subdivisions

Headlong Flight

The first four are obvious. Headlong Flight is a good summation of what direction their music went towards since the early 90's (HALF of their timespan as a unit, as much as people like to give the 90's and 2000's the cold shoulder), and is also wildly popular, probably the song that's gotten the most fans frothing at the mouth since Dreamline or even Subdivisions.

Not including Working Man because even though it's the pillar of their early foundation Neil wasn't involved and honestly...it's not very "Rush-like", but more of your run of the mill 70's hard rock song, even though it's a good one at that. In my opinion Rush didn't start sounding like the Rush I know until they wrote Anthem and By-Tor, and then with CoS and 2112.

• Like 3

We talked about how compressed that list was in terms of the catalog, but really couldn't justify other songs knocking off the list we had. We eliminated Working Man because, in the end, it's not the same Rush. Nothing on Fly By Night or CoS seemed worthy enough. Likewise, although we considered some stuff from AFTK and Hemispheres (mainly Xanadu, ATFK, The Trees, and LVS), we couldn't see them bumping for the others (although LVS came in a very close second to CTTH). We also looked past Signals and considered things like DEW, The Big Money, and Time Stand Still, but had the same dilemma. Nothing from the last 20 years seemed to even be close (not that we don't like some of that work - just not at the same level for the purpose of our parameters).

In the end, we decided two things. One, Subdivisions and CTTH were the two most debatable songs on the list. Two, the list would be much less debatable if we went with a 10 song list (but that was not the point of the discussion).

As for Subdivisions/Signals, nearly anything would have been a drop off after MP, yes? The interesting thing about Signals is Subdivisions is still wildly popular with the fan base (the intro gets a very loud roar every concert I have attended and there is a reason it got an entire chapter in Beyond the Lighted Stage). Likewise, New World Man is the highest charting single the band ever had. Signals, then, is a bit of a paradox. Hated by some (mostly by those who lament the start of the synth era). Loved by others (mostly by those who were introduced to Rush by way of the synth era). Yet the album still has merit and relevance.

If the idea is to get songs that are representative of the sound of the band, my feeling was that you'd need songs that represent the different sounds of the band, not just the "best" songs that you think sound like Rush from one period of the band.

• Like 2

By eras:

1. Xanadu

2. The Spirit of Radio

3. Turn the Page

4. Animate

5. Clockwork Angels

Ouch. 40% of Rush's signature songs aren't very good.

• Like 2